“Front desk should be self check in” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #33 of 48 hotels in Sioux Falls
Wahpeton, North Dakota
“Front desk should be self check in”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Four trips to the front desk, at 9 pm and 3 times from 4 am to 4:45 am, had no one at or near the front desk. Our no smoking room, smelled like an ashtray. The music from the attached Exhibit Hall, was overwhelming loud. Why did they put anybody on that side of the building? A change of rooms, meant no king bed. I will look elsewhere before staying again.

Room Tip: Ask if there are events that will impact your stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you again for your comments; per our conversation I regret another function and others poor manners had a negative impact on your stay. I appreciate that you noted after the discount given and my immediate attention to your prior note you'd consider staying with us again.

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We paid a decent amount of money to stay in a family suite while in Sioux Falls, so I expected a lot more than what this hotel had to offer. The first room we were assigned to smelled of musty cigarette smoke, so we had to request a different room. The hotel staff changed us to a new suite that smelled better, but the condition of the room was pretty worn out... It seems like the rooms may vary in cleanliness and upkeep considerably from one room to another. For the price we paid, we could have stayed at a much newer and cleaner hotel. It was an ok stay, but not the comfy bed, nice linens kind of place your would expect for the cost of the room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments; we are a non-smoking hotel but we will take special note when checking rooms. We do buy linen monthly, I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We are currently painting all guest rooms; they will all soon smell and look fresh. I do hope in the future we'll have an opportunity to turn this negative into a positive. I am sure we could!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

First, this motel is huge and is like a maze. You can easily get lost which is why they had a map on most corners so you can find your room.

Second, a word of warning that not all rooms have windows and some rooms have windows that open onto corridors so you have to keep your curtains closed at all times, so its like having no windows anyway. These inhumane rooms shouldn't be offered to any guests and really should be offered at a discount.

Third, if you have a room with an adjoining living area, there are no doors separating the bedroom from the living room. There is a door frame but no door.

Quality of breakfast buffet is below average. I suggest you order from the menu.

Service generally was good but was very disappointed after complaining about a faulty air conditioner and noone followed up. I had to remind them a second time. After that, all efforts were made to accommodate me in another room by the Manager and a credit was offered. This was excellent customer service.

On checking out, I wasn't given a statement, and thought it would be emailed to me, but wasn't.

I think if you pay less than $90 for a room here, it is value for money. However, $160 for a room without a window is not, even if the room has a living area.

• Stayed September 2013
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them and take them to heart. I do hope we see you again so we can turn this negative into a positive,

Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Grand hotel in many ways. Good restaurant, lounge, indoor pool and outdoor pool, large clean rooms with the best beds anywhere. Very freindly staff - in fact I met who I think was the manager two years ago in the parking lot (we were there for Hot Harley Nights) and she made me feel like a special hotel guest. This place is huge, you could get lost and, we were there on a Saturday night so, it was also slightly noisey but, that goes away as soon as you close your door.
I just don't remember it being so pricey last time - maybe it was and I'm just getting cheaper. But, other than in room coffee and coffee in the lobby, nothing was complentary. No manager's reception or even complimentary free drink. Add on $8.00 - $15.00 per person for breakfast to a $135.00 base room price, I have to rate it a poor value. Too bad I reallly like everything else about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot. I am sorry you didn't feel like the value was worth your rate. We do have a breakfast package, please ask for that next time, and please ask to see me. Drink ticket on me!

Hope to see you again,

whitewood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had requested a room on the ground floor close to the pool and was very pleased,nice room excellent location by the pool! The staff was very cordial and helpful. I will definitely stay here every trip to Sioux falls! Thank You

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice review, so glad you had a good time! Hope to see you again soon.

Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The troubles with this hotel began before the trip even began and just got worse. We made our reservations online through the reservation service. My mother stays at Best Westerns almost every week because of work and always books online so we thought it would be fine. The reservations got completely messed up and when we arrived, the room we were given was not the room we booked. (We had booked a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and living room) The room was cramped to say the least. We had planned on a room that would sleep 8 and instead ended up in a room that would sleep 6 and we were staying for an entire weekend so we had to take turns sleeping on the floor. When we addressed that we were in the incorrect room, we were told the room we booked didn't even exist in the hotel (not sure how that's even possible). The room we were given only had 1 bathroom and no table or chairs to sit in or desk. It was basically a room with beds and tvs. The room we stayed in was very clean and the woman from housekeeping who took care of our room was very sweet and did a great job (these are the reasons I gave a 2 instead of 1). The manager attempted to make up for the problem with the room with vouchers because it was a holiday weekend and there was no other way to accommodate us. They also credited us for 1 nights stay which was helpful. If this had been the only problem, I probably wouldn't have been so upset but on the second day of our stay the hallways filled with the odor of sewer being backed up and that smell never went away. The air conditioning in our room couldn't cool the room below 80 so we were very hot the entire time (it didn't even cool off at night). One day we called the front desk because we needed more towels, they said they would send someone with more, but 2 hours later, we still didn't have any and had to send someone to the front desk to get more. Later, we wanted to order a movie and couldn't get the tv to work, we called the front desk for help and got hung up on. When we called back the person said they would send maintenance and long story short no one came and we didn't get the movie. We didn't use the waterpark so I can't say anything about that. This hotel really put a negative feel on our whole vacation, save yourself the trouble and book elsewhere, I know we will in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry our attempts to rectify your situation were unsatisfactory, and that due to occupancy our hands were tied on finding better options to fit your needs. I beleive we can turn this around if given the opportunity should you return.

Cordova, Tn.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Motel was an old Ramada Inn with indoor pool - play area and quite huge. Located not too far from the airport. My room was a double and with two beds some what crowded. Shower had very little pressure and needed extra time to rinse off. My sink was slow to drain and very little vanity room. Staff was friendly and helpful. Has a lounge and restaurant. Motel was nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Stay away from pool side rooms - sounds float up to rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments; I do hope we have another opportunity to provide 'GREAT'. I apologize we didn't meet your expectations. We continually are updating our hotel; I believe we can turn this negative into a positive.

My best,

Jan Grunewaldt

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!