“Very nice, out of the way” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Storm Lake, Iowa
“Very nice, out of the way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Ramkota is kind of off the beaten path (good or bad, you decide). It is not far from the airport or the fairgrounds, but not next to either one. Situated in an industrial part of town, it is mostly surrounded by warehouses and a couple smaller motels.

That being said, the Ramkota is just off the interstate, and for the drive-through traveler, conveniently located in the northwestern corner of the city. It is quite large for a two-story hotel, has a nice restaurant and a pub, and a small indoor waterpark, which is great for letting the kids blow off some energy in the evening. If you are kid-free, don't expect to have a relaxing soak in the hot tub.

While nothing fancy, it is a good value for the weary traveler.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet evening, make sure not to get a pool-side room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you so much for the great detail and nice comments! We really appreciate them!

We hope to see you again soon,

Jan Grunewaldt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sugar Creek, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family stayed three nights and my wife and I were fairly impressed. The thing that really stood out for us was the food from the in-house restaurant was actually really good. We ate lunch at the bar (burgers) one day and had room service (pizza & wings) for dinner on another night then had breakfast on our last day. Everything we had was terrific and the prices were very fair (kid's menu items were $0.99 when dining in the restaurant). No complaints at all in that department.

The indoor pool/water park was a big hit with the kids. It was kind of crowded while we were there, so my wife and I just let the kids do their thing while we tried to relax. The water slide was fun and the kids had a blast so, no real complaints there either. The pool are was clean, there were plenty of towels and there was always someone there to man the waterslide or keep up with any wet towels that failed to make it to the bins.

We did experience a little hiccup with housekeeping, though. On our second day there, we came back to our room in the afternoon and found that our used towels had been picked up...but not replaced. We were left with only one towel and it took two visits to the front desk to get clean ones later that night. Also, whoever cleaned our room that day decided to gather up the trash consolidate it into one (very small) trash can and leave it there. The person who cleaned our room was either just plain lazy or extremely forgetful. Either way, that was very strange. Aside from that incident, we enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the nice comments, we are so glad you enjoyed the entire factility and made memories. As for the hicup, I will address with department manager to follow up on with proper associate.

We do hope to see you again!

Respectfully,

Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were down in S.F. for 3 nights for a family reunion. The rooms are nice, but small and somewhat crowded. The restrooms are tiny. The drawers for the armoire/Entertainment center where broken, so we didn't use them. We were pleased with room-service. The food was good and was brought up quickly. We did however have breakfast the following day at the maple rest. and the food was awful. We ordered from the buffet and from the menu. The buffet was small and the food was cold and it seems it was yesterday’s leftovers. The food ordered off the menu was not much of a difference, very bland. The waitress was horrible. She was not friendly, not welcoming at all. The pool area was nice and great for the kids. Maid did clean our room, but not the restroom. On one of the beds, you could feel the springs and you could hear people on side rooms and hallway. Also when it was checked out day our credit card was charged and receipt left under our door. It would have been nice if we were planning to use the credit card they charged the room, but we actually were going to pay cash to avoid interest in our card, but they didn't even wait to ask or anything, that was upsetting. And check out was at 11am, and by 9am the maid had already opened our door for cleanup. Overall the hotel is nice, some changes would really come in handy, but I don't think I care to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments; I will be printing off your comments for staff to see how their performance affected our guests, and I assure you it will be addressed. I do hope you will try us again and allow us to earn your loyalty and trust.

Respectfully.

Agar, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My kids kept my husband in the waterpark for several hours each day we stayed here. I love the fact that the pool in walk in and goes to 3 foot. Both of our toddlers had a blast and we felt safer with them in such a shallow pool. There is a mushroom fountain, a frog slide, snail slide, water shoots out of holes at the walk in part of the pool and there is a rope in the 3 foot part that you hang on too and walk across "lilly pads". The other pool has the huge water slide and the other side of it has basketball hoops. The hot tub is pretty big too. For being a waterpark for little kids it was really clean. There wasn't any stuff floating around the pool, towels were kept stocked and wet ones put away, garbage picked up. It was just a nice clean and fun waterpark! The hotel itself is nice as well. The rooms have a fridge and microwave in them. The bathrooms are small but that doesn't bother us. The staff has always been helpful and quick when checking us in and out. The only thing that I didn't like was the lack of an elevator :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are so glad you and your family had a great time. I am sorry you didn't see the elevator, but we do have one located behind the front desk hallway.

I do hope we see you again!

Palisade, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spent one night here after a very long day in the car with a 12 year old boy and a 14 year old girl. The desk clerk was very helpful and friendly. The kids went to the pool and we were happy to sit in the pub and enjoy a couple of drinks while they swam. We did not get to enjoy the outside pool area, but it looked very nice. The indoor pool has a great "swim park" with slides and other activities. I think we all would have liked to have more time at this hotel. The bartender in the pub was very nice and friendly. She suggested we let the kids swim a little longer and we could just take some late night snacks from the bar back to our room since the restaurant was closing soon. We ordered sliders and hotdogs and enjoyed a late night pic nic in our room complete with our "to go" cocktails. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience, we're thrilled you had such a wonderful time.

I do hope we see you again!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Just finished a 9 day stay for a softball tournament. Beds were comfortable and room had flat screen tv, microwave, and fridge. Restaurant food was very good and plentiful. Good set up for large groups. Now the negatives--housekeeping is HORRIBLE. Complained at desk mid week and no change In 9 days our sheets were not changed, bathroom floor not vacuumed or mopped, and our toilet bowl was not scrubbed. Never got enough towels for the 3 of us nearly every day (and one set each was all I expected). Had to call for more and sometimes twice and waited 20 min or more. Maids either did not vacuum or did a couple spots even though we always left the floor neat. Soda pop rings on nightstand and desk were there for days. Gap under the door was abt one inch and you could hear everything on either side of the door.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Most importantly I apologize for your issues not being addressed efficiently. If you reach out to me I will surely make this right. We worked hard to make the week long tournament stay a positive and memorable one. Your experience is not the norm, and again, I am very sorry.

I do hope to hear from you.

Charles City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

At check-in, there were two clerks at the desk. The gentleman clerk was helping the other customer, and the lady clerk was on a computer and after an initial "I'll be right with you", she totally ignored me as I waited. After several minutes of waiting, the gentelman finally checked me in. The lady never looked up again. Since when does paperwork (or whatever she was doing) trump the customer? The gentleman tossed a room key at me and said "you're on the second floor"...then moved on to the next customer (who was also being ignored by the lady). He did not tell us how to get to our room, and we eventually had to go back and ask as the hotel is large and the room layout is confusing. I found them both to be apethetic and somewhat rude.
The room and bathroom were very small, but very clean. The decor was somewhat dated, but I don't really care about that.
I ate at the restaurant in the hotel. I ordered a pizza, and it came with toppings I did not order. The waitress did not apologize, nor did she do anything to make it right. I ended up picking a bunch of stuff off so i could eat it. I didn't leave a tip, as I was very unhappy with the food and service.
When receiving my credit card statement, I found that the hotel charged me $20 more for the room than was listed on my receipt. They also charged $5 more for the pizza than was listed on the receipt. I am currently disputing the charges and hopefully the charges will be corrected, but so far they haven't been.
I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel or not. It will all depend on their handling of the charges.

Room Tip: The waterpark is nice, but it will be noisy if you choose a room directly off the pool area. For a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for making us aware of your situation, and I apologize for the pizza incident. Please always ask for a manager on duty and we will make it right, right then and there. Please feel free to call me directly if your charges are not handled in a timely manner.

Respectfully,

Jan Grunewaldt

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!