“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dakotah Lodge

Save Saved
You added Dakotah Lodge to your Saves list
Dakotah Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3200 West Russell Street, Exit 81 off I-29, Sioux Falls, SD 57107 (Formerly Brimark Inn)   |
Offers & Announcements
October Slide Special
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Des Plaines, Illinois
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The good:

It was inexpensive, clean, quiet, and WIFI. Breakfast was good.

The not so good:

Had to pull the blanket off the other bed as the blankets were not wide enough to cover two people.
Kind of thought I would be on the first floor because of the dog, but I was put on the second floor.
WIFI coverage did not cover the entire room.
70s heat lamp in the bathroom
No bedskirts on the box springs
Dark
Ice machine broken.

All in all, a good place to crash when you are road weary, but I would not make it a habit. If I were passing through again, I may consider spending a bit more and going somewhere else. Just needs some updating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
randyhuber, Owner at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for writing and sharing your comments, You have furthed my resolve to have this remodeling done as quickly as possible. As you may have noticed we are doing work inside and outside, adding an indoor pool and remodeling all rooms. Sorry about the ice machine going down, but we need to direct our guests to an ice machine that is still working. Hope all your travels are enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Duncanville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I were traveling with our Chihuahua so pet friendly hotels were a must. The Brimark had mostly positive reviews on TA but not without some "issues." The location is not ideal and some nearby road work detours make it not easy to find. Our room was at the far rear exit furthest away from the front desk and we though this was our "reward" for having a dog. We were pleasantly surprised to find a clean, well appointed room, clean bathroom and very comfortable beds. The internet connection was excellent. The hotel is still in the midst of renovation. The pool has been dug out and is being replaced. The central pool/walkway area is filled with workmen and the external walls are being repainted. Despite these temporary inconveniences the hotel still functions well. The breakfast in a cozy clean location was above average. The major drawback was the totally inadequate room lighting which was no more than two bedside lamps. The Brimark is still a work in progress but it is clean, comfortable and guest friendly. It is excellent value for money and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. There is NO PUNISHMENT for having a pet , but there is a grassy area in the back that makes a good potty spot, hope it worked out for your Chihuahua.. Glad that the construction did not present any real noise or inconvenience either. Our construction company doesn't start until 9 a.m. and stops at 6 p.m. so that they will not disturb our guests. Thank you for choosing us and we hope you will return soon. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here after realizing that I had messed up hotel reservations by a night at a different location. The price was agreeable, being half the price per night of my original hotel. The room and service were more than I had expected for the low cost of the stay. Clean, spacious and modern room - and FREE wifi. Courteous staff. Definitely a great find.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great review. We are pleased that we provided you with a comfortable stay. This is what we are trying our hardest to achieve. We know you have many choices for lodging in this area and are very happy you chose us. Thank you again, Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager.
Warren, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The location next to a camping trailer storage yard and its half-lit sign were not great omens. Lots of landscaping work in early stages (no plants, but piles of dirt being managed) looked iffy, but the building exterior appeared promising. Our room had attractive furniture and carpet, and a first glance into the bathroom showed a new sink and toilet and gleaming chrome and glass shelves, but the mold/mildew along tile grout lines and greying bathtub floor dropped a bomb into our estimation of this place. How such a room could be rented is beyond me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, we certainly did not do our best or even half best for you. If your bathroom was that bad you have every reason to be annoyed. What is so weird is that part was so shiny clean and the rest terrible Maybe they only partially cleaned the room. We are making every effort to make sure nothing like this happens again and have beefed up room inspections. Please accept our apologies. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Brimark offers an unbelievable value. The location was easy to access. Front desk staff welcomed my party and were very professional and helpful. We found the rooms to be tastefully updated and super clean. The amphibious travelers enjoyed the large outdoor pool. There were a few rough edges like dirty windows in entry ways and landsacape contructions near pool ( no coffe cups in rooms), But nothing which affected our stay. Overall excellent value that we will use on future trips!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We really enjoy hearing from our guests .We are trying hard to provide you with a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price. Our staff are a great bunch of people who really care about our guests. Hope you come back and see the new improvements. Donna Gratzfeld, General manager
Florence, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

You won't find a better combination of value, cleanliness, friendly service and good breakfast.

This was a real find. We did some quick looking on the phone on our way home from Iowa and found some promising reviews for the Brimark. We were not disappointed. Thank you fellow TA reviewers!

Front desk staff very nice and helpful. It's obvious the staff care about presenting the property well.

The room was clean, and included a refrigerator and nice TV. Bathroom was small but nice. I only have two minor complaints on the room - 1. dim lighting and 2. I found 2 empty drink bottles under the bed. The empty bottles tell me they aren't checking everything over when cleaning the room.

Pool was very large and nice. Only complaint here was the extreme heat of the water. This is summertime; there is no need to heat the pool! My wife felt it and refused to get in. I swam for a few minutes and got too hot so climbed out.

Breakfast was excellent compared to other 'free' buffets. The staff running the buffet were very friendly and service-oriented.

Plenty of well-lit parking.

At the end of the stay, I thought I had received excellent value for what I paid.

This is definitely where I will stay on any future trips through Sioux Falls.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review. We are doing some really big renovations now that the summer season has ended. The pool is no longer here. We have removed it and made a beautiful courtyard where it was. We will soon break ground for the new addition which will house our new indoor pool, spa, children's spray area and large waterslide . We are all very excited and hope you will come back and see all the changes spring 2014. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed August 11th on the way to yellowstone. Friendly front desk staff, clean rooms. The bed was comfortable and the water pressure was average. The air conditioner was so loud it woke me and my 9 year old up every time it kicked in. There is no elevator so we had to lug our suitcases up the steps. The pool was great and they furnished some noodles which my kids loved. The location is a bit sketchy. There is an abandoned lot next store that something needs to be done with. Breakfast was great...when we finally got to eat. We waited in line for 10 minutes and then kitchen worker Sharon told me and my 9 year old we had to get shoes on. There is no signage and we have never had a problem wearing socks when eating breakfast at other hotels. I tried to explain to Sharon that my 4 year old and husband were still asleep and we didn't want to wake them by going into the room but she ignored me and walked away. Kitchen staff was catering to a large bus of elderly tourists so clearly they were the priority over families with children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Please come back and try us again. We are still renovating and you will be happy to hear we are putting in an elevator. We also are adding an addition with an indoor pool, spa, small children's play area and a large waterslide.. We have a new courtyard with a grill area for our guests, It is very family friendly. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager

Been to Dakotah Lodge? Share your experiences!