“Great staff, nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dakotah Lodge

Save Saved
You added Dakotah Lodge to your Saves list
Dakotah Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3200 West Russell Street, Exit 81 off I-29, Sioux Falls, SD 57107 (Formerly Brimark Inn)   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #17 of 48 hotels in Sioux Falls
Rochester, Minnesota, Usa
“Great staff, nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Exceptionally pleasant and helpful staff! The room was clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. This is not a new, sleek, cookie-cutter hotel; it is a nicely remodeled, reasonably-priced, quiet, and pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We do love our job.

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent one night on our trip out west. Really enjoyed the hotel..great renovations to the rooms and the breakfast room is bright and cheery. Breakfast selection is standard but if anyone is looking for more..suggest you go and pay for your breakfast!

The pool ladders need a little bit of work but once in the pool is great!

Didn't use the laundry facilities but this is also a nice addition when you are on the road.

Great value for the price we paid and would stay there again when passing through Sioux Falls!

Room Tip: Room 125 is at the back of the hotel..easy access to parking lot, laundry room and overall a nice qu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review. We enjoy hearing from our guests and will keep trying to improve. Hope to see you again. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
Estelline, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night so that we could catch an early morning flight out of Sioux Falls. Very conveniently located just off the interstate, with easy access to the airport (via more than one route -- we were able to avoid the construction on Russell Street). Though this property might look dated from the outside, but the inside has been renovated very nicely. There are some great, unique touches. The bright cheery breakfast room has a restored vintage monitor top fridge (where the yogurt and milk are kept) and a matching vintage stove that serves as a base for the waffle machines to sit on. There is a charming little courtyard right outside the breakfast room and overlooking the pool, if you want to eat outside. In our room, which was spacious and attractively decorated, there was a wall pocket in the bathroom that looked like it was artisan made that is used to hold the shampoo, soap, etc. -- an unexpected special touch. Very nice staff. Great price for the quality! Really the only suggestion for improvement I have is that there could be a couple more lamps/more light in the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review. we are always happy to hear what our guests have to say. We do have a lot of people remark on our dining room. The owners , Randy and Juli Huber came up with that idea and purchased the 1930's appliances. It really has a homey feel. The patio is also a popular spot all spring, summer and fall. We still have more work to do, especially to the outside. Hope to see you again soon. Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
Lisle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

A long day of sight-seeing and travel starting in the Black Hills led to Sioux Falls as a waypoint. The Brimark Inn, being rated well on tripadvisor and much less expensive than alternatives, seemed like a good place to secure a reservation during the afternoon. Arriving around 11:30 PM, I got the room key quickly, and was pleased enough as I went to my room.

The room had somebody else's clothing in it. It was dark and late, so I didn't want to check to see if someone else was still IN it (for all I knew, it might be someone with a weapon mistaking me for a burglar), so I got out quick and went to the front desk. The attendant was confused, having started recently, and my reservation was done on a previous shift (so she didn't understand why there were clothes in the room).

She seemed to be the only person on staff present, so when she got hit up by new customers, she had to have my girlfriend and I wait 15 minutes before investigating the room. She too just stepped in briefly, saw clothes hung up, and decided to head out quickly. We had to wait another half hour as she mentioned there may not be any other rooms available before she got us a room.

The room was a 2 Queens room that didn't seem to have been disturbed for at least 4 decades. It smelled something like a stereotypical great-aunts house, musty and forgotten. The refrigerator hadn't been plugged in, and seemed to have some kind of unpleasant muck causing an odor inside. The A/C would frequently kick with a buzz that sounded like a plane taking off. The packaged soap in the bathroom had a spider under it (great fun for an arachnophobe like me).

So that was fun.

However, it had plusses. The kitchen staff in the morning were exceptionally pleasant and helpful, and the food itself was the best hotel breakfast I'd had all trip (8 days total). And while I've sounded like it was the worst place ever so far, I think it was mostly due to my awful experience with that room-already-occupied snafu yielding a room that they hadn't intended on filling (at least, I hope they hadn't). The other rooms were likely better.

I booked online, so maybe your best bet, if at all possible, may be to call and just confirm that they're giving you an EMPTY room. At the very least, don't get room 264. It'd have been a 1/5 review if it weren't for the breakfast and the probability that I was extremely unlucky, which bumps it up to 2/5. Normally I'm the last person to really worry or complain about hiccups in plans, but this was really too much at 11:30 at night after a long day of travel. I don't know whether it was the booking agency, the manager on duty when I reserved the room, the house-cleaning staff failing to clean up someone's room who checked out, or what, but somebody really failed that day and I'm upset I had to pay for it (in several respects).

Room Tip: Don't get room 264. It smells like a crypt. If I weren't exhausted I probably wouldn't h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
First of all our sincere apologies for your experience. As you hopefully have read ,this is not normal procedure at The Brimark Inn. I could give you all the reasons of why things happened the way they did but that will not change the unfortunate situation. Inexperienced employees, poor training and a very busy night added up to a bad experience. Because you booked on line I can't just give you a refund but would you please call me @1-800-658-4508 ask for Donna and I will see what I can do to make your memory of us better. Thank You, Donna Gratzfeld, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

What a great place. The rooms are just awesom. Been on the road from Ohio to yellowstone. Wish every place we stayed was like this one! New carpet, paint, bedding all at a great value. Stu at the front desk was great to work with. Trust me the chains do not have people like him.

• Stayed July 2013
All fives !! Thank you so much. I am so happy we were able to provide you with an excellent stay. We know there are many choices out there and are so pleased you chose us. Thank you for staying with us and Happy Travels. Donna Gratzfeld , General Manger
Roseville, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

With road construction around Sioux Falls, it can be a little hard to find your way here, but once you do, you'll enjoy your stay. Staff is very friendly--in fact, they helped us carry our bags up to our room, which was very nice and clean.

Interestingly, the Brimark is located relatively close to FSD; however, while we noticed a couple of planes taking off in the evening, we really didn't hear any airport noise during our weekend stay. You'll definitely get a good night's sleep here

In the mornings, you can sit at one of the small tables outside and enjoy the nice breakfast provided--it's quite peaceful if you sit by the little "waterfall" built into the landscaping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review. We are glad we could provide you with an enjoyable stay. This fall we will be adding an elevator, expanding the courtyard seating and making many more improvements. Hope to see you again . Donna Gratzfeld , General Manger
St Teresa, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We love this place! Super people, superior cleanliness, extremely comfortable bed, and lots of room in our King room. We booked online directly with the hotel and got a further discount on arrival on request. There is a heated outside pool which looked immaculate and a better than average breakfast. We highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Call direct and ask-staff is more than wiling to help
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
s.d.granny, General Manager at Dakotah Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the excellent review. Several of our staff watch for the reviews and are so excited when we get such a nice one. It really gives them that extra special pat on the back and they really appreciate it. Wishing you all the best. Donna Gratzfeld, General manager

Been to Dakotah Lodge? Share your experiences!