“The Royal Treatment” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Sioux Falls
Long Beach, California, United States
“The Royal Treatment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel last weekend on my first ever trip to South Dakota. From the chauffeured stretch Suburban (ready to take us where we needed), to the lovely complimentary breakfast (in the dining area with breathtakingly beautiful views and a huge fireplace), or the well-appointed room (complete with microwave and fridge) I was pleasantly surprised by the facility and would stay there again in a heartbeat. The front desk staff (Nicole) and drivers (Chris, Kelly, Travis, Aaron and Judy (?) were tremendously helpful and courteous and I always felt welcome. The only improvements I would make are: 1) Bathroom lighting (horrible), 2) quieter exhaust fan (this one sounded like a jet engine), and 3) Better pillows (maybe you can put a mixture of soft and firm on the bed so guests can choose their ideal combination.) The way I see it, since those are my only "issues" I'll stay here whenever I find myself in Sioux Falls -- that's a promise!

Room Tip: Odd hint (but it does make a difference): The configuration of the rooms is such that, although it i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for your wonderful comments on your recent stay with us! I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the complimentary shuttle and that the staff made such a good impression. I do agree that they truly represent what customer service is all about. I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful team. I would also like to thank you for your suggestions on the lighting/exhaust fan and pillow selection. I will check into each of these issues.
I am thrilled to see that you will choose to stay with us again when in Sioux Falls-we hope to see you very soon !!

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a great place to stay in Sioux Falls. It is new/renovated, visually appealing, spacious, clean, and comfortable. There are many restaurants in walking distance including an Italian restaurant attached. The meeting space was more than sufficient, and the breakfast was very good. I will stay here next time I am in Sioux Falls!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us-I am glad to see that we provided you with a comfortable stay and that our location made it convenient for dining out. I do hope your meetings here went well and we look forward to serving you again very soon!
Hinton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We spent the weekend in Sioux Falls in early September and it was one of the best hotels we have stayed at. The property is very nice, clean and in a great location. The staff are extremely professional and very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and it was very quiet and comfortable. We were able to relax and unwind which was the whole point of our weekend get away. We will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know how much you enjoyed your visit and that you had a relaxing stay. Thank you for the nice mention of the staff-they will be thrilled to see that they made an impression with you with their friendliness.
thank you again and we welcome you back very soon !!
Ann Arbor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is clean with spacious rooms and a very pleasant patio/garden that extends to the linear jogging/bicycle park along the Sioux River levy. Great for a morning jog or walking the dog (yes, they are pet friendly, and the front desk spontanesouly provided treats and a collection bag when they saw us walking through).

Agree with the comment that the bathroom fans are annoyingly noisy. Also, the brand of CFL lighting used in the rooms takes several minutes to achieve full brightness. We checked in in the evening, and it felt like we were unpacking in cave. After 5 minutes things brightened up, but by then we had mostly fumbled through settling in. Finally, there is no bellman and only a single luggage cart serving a hotel with a hundred or more rooms. It was available when we checked in, late, but not for the morning checkout. If you are a business traveler with a single wheeled suitcase, maybe not an issue, but if you have multiple bags it is a pain, or go for a ground floor unit with an exterior entry.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I would like to thank you for sharing your past experience with us. I am glad to see that your room was to your satisfaction but apologize for the inconvenience of the lighting and bathroom fan. I will check into both concerns. We have 2 bellman carts and I am very sorry that neither were available for you at time of check out-this issue will be addressed as well. I do hope you had a nice visit with us and that we will see you again very soon!
Riverside,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great place to stop between Chicago and Mt. Rushmore. Easy to find from I 90. Newer hotel was clean with comfortable beds. Pool is great for kids 10 and under. (It only came up to the knees of our teens.) The paved, safe walking path behind hotel allowed us to stretch our legs. Breakfast was included and area kept very clean. It was hot and replenished with a nice variety. Italian restaurant attached to hotel made dinner easy. Close to Walmart and other shopping if you need anything.

Room Tip: Ground floor suite was perfect. Easy access to vehicle for unloading.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. Hearing directly from our guests is very helpful in helping us provide each guest with a comfortable stay. I am glad to see that your room was clean to your satisfaction and that you were able to enjoy the pool and Carinos Italian Restaurant. I hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls and I am thrilled to see we were a part of that experience.
We invite you back soon!
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'm not really sure why this hotel is rated so highly, but I think it is because Sioux Falls lacks any other hotel above a Hampton-level place in this area of town. I chose this hotel because of the location, and I actually stayed here once before about two years. I remember it being better than it actually was.

If you like to sleep on a pile of bricks, this hotel will be perfect for you. Hardest mattress I have ever slept on. And to add to the quality sleep, a bunch of cheap foam pillows that were not comfortable either.

Breakfast is ok, but no better or worse than any other free hotel breakfast.

I would say location is the only reason to choose this hotel. Staff seemed friendly, but everyone seems that way in Sioux Falls to me. I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for sharing your views with your recent stay with us. I am glad you chose to stay with us but very sorry your stay was less than satisfactory and I apologize that our bedding is not to your liking. Thank you for the nice mention of the friendliness of the staff-Our goal is to provide each guest with an "I Just Have to Stay Here again" experience and I am sorry we did not live up to those standards in your case. I do hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls.
We do hope to see you again!
Minnesota City, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The location of this hotel lends itself to a quiet stay. The back of the hotel butts up to a river, a walking path and a golf course and one side is also pretty isolated. I've stayed at some other hotels in the mall area and this is a solid choice if you are willing to spend the same or a little bit more. The guests are of a higher caliber if you know what I mean?

One in our family uses a wheelchair so accessibility is a major concern during our stay. We had a 2-bed queen accessible room. There seemed to be enough room to make turns but transfers to the bed were tough because there is only one space that is big enough. The beds are on platforms so a hoyer is impossible to use, much less maneuver. The bed height seemed ok but if you wanted to add risers, you can't because of the platform style of the bed. (This is why a lot of hotels are now going to a more traditional bed frame in accessible rooms.)

The bathroom was a nice size for an able-bodied person. (Although there was a lack of counter space.) Wheelchair users will have a very difficult time in the bathroom we were in. There is no transfer space to the toilet, the small sink is right up against the wall so you can only use one arm with full mobility. We had a tub shower combo that was well equipped for a person of higher mobility. (They also have roll-in shower option rooms too.) The temperature controls in the room were very difficult to access/view. I think that about wraps it up for the wheelchair-centric part of the review. Oh, we did notice the elevator seemed super slow to arrive when called but that is always the case when only one is servicing a hotel.

The breakfast is similar to any other hotel's free morning offerings. Waffles, yogurt, cereal, coffee etc. Decor is nice, decent tv's and the beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: As with any hotel with a pool, beware of rooms near the pool if you aren't going to use it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your views on your recent stay with us. We appreciate knowing how your stay was. I would also like to thank you for the great tips on how we can improve the stay for those in a wheelchair. I will check on each item you have mentioned. I appreciate the helpful suggestions.
We hope you choose to stay with us again
Val Carman, General Manager

Been to Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!