“Dated Faux-Luxury” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 48 hotels in Sioux Falls
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Dated Faux-Luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Clubhouse in its day was probably THE place to stay in Sioux Falls, but feels very 1997 today. It sits in a shopping district off I-29. Not sure this is a neighborhood, really. The location is not really central to downtown or anything of note, but Sioux Falls is small.

The hotel is designed to feel like a hunt club, full of dark wood, overstuffed furniture, thick carpets, stone walls. But it all feels quite faded around the edges and is now quite dated and gloomy. The property has the facilities of a Staybridge Suites or Cambria Suites, but none of the charm or modernity. Rooms lack refrigerators, safes, and other contemporary amenities. Bathrooms seem dreary. Florescent lights are slow to brighten. The tacky textured ceilings evoke a two-star motel. Bedding is worn and not fresh feeling or smelling.

Staff did not have our room type available at check-in (5p) and made us wait for a room rather than upgrade us to a more expensive and available room for our one-night stay, symbolic of a place that needs to make greater efforts to remain competitive in a changing market.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for sharing your views on your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide each guest with a Home away from Home experience and hearing directly from our guests lets us know if we are achieving our goal. I am truly sorry that our look was not appealing for you-we continually upgrade our product to stay fresh and up to date. It is a continous process but one we take very seriously. I do appreciate your input and suggestions and all items mentioned will be evaluated. I would also like to apologize for the frustration of a delayed check in. I do agree that there were other options to accomodate you if the assigned room was not available. Please know I will address the situation. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I gave this review an overall rating of "terrible" because the most important thing to me when you stay at a hotel is having a good night's rest. I had the worst night's rest of my life here! The beds are so hard- it feels like a hard board instead of a mattress. The pillows offered NO support to my head. It was literally like sinking down into a soft cloud. Then the AC was acting up all night. It went from insanely hot to bitter cold all throughout the night. We were near the elevator, so we could hear the bell all night long as well. When the people next door came in at 2 a.m., we could clearly hear them talking and taking a shower. I think I may have gotten maybe 2 hours of sleep the whole night.

After tossing and turning the whole night, I got up to an aching back. I'll need to go see a chiropractor just to ease the pain. What's worse is that my husband mentioned all these things at checkout and no one really seemed to care. A flip- "I'm sorry." was all that was offered to him. It did not seem sincere at all.

The hotel itself looks nice and my children enjoyed the breakfast in the morning and water park at night, but all those things do not make up for the horrible sleeping conditions we experienced. I will never return to Clubhouse Hotel & Suites. The rock hard beds and lack of concern for the customer are reasons enough for me to never return again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator. Bring your own pillows & a mattress pad.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts concerning your past stay with us. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a comfortable and pleasurable stay. We certainly did not live up to those standards with your recent stay. I am so sorry that our beds and pillows were less than satisfactory for you and for the lack of sleep your endured because of it but most alarming is that you felt the staff was uncaring. We value each guest and if we haven't provided the service we strive for, we most certainly need to know that as well. Thank you so much for sharing your views. I do hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls and I am so sorry your stay with us was not part of that wonderful experience.
Allentown PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

On a cross country annual trip from Pa to Montana, we always take a break at this hotel. Why? Because the service is great, the outside areas are beautifully landscaped, and the breakfast is yummy. Plus the Clubhouse's we've been at are very dog friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your nice comments concerning your past stay with us. I am thrilled to see that we have provided you with a comfortable and pleasurable stay. It is nice to see that you choose to stay with us when in Sioux Falls. We truly appreicate your friendship and business!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed just one night, but it was a beautiful, large room. The room had a medium sized fridge and a microwave. Our youngest son, who is 5yrs, had fun at the pool, but it was a little too low key for our teenagers and the adults. The pool had a great section for smaller kids, but only one fairly slow waterside for adults. Nice hot tub. We were on the first floor, which was very convenient because our room had a door to the parking lot and another door attached to the motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for the nice comments concerning your recent stay with us. I am glad to see that your family enjoyed the pool area while you were here. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Every year for the 4th of July we drive to Sioux Falls for a family reunion. We have 3 kids under the age of 9 and have pretty much tried every "suite" type hotel chain in the area. The Clubhouse Hotel & Suites is by far the best---hands down!! It has made what is usually an unpleasant hotel experience into a vacation for us. Everything is clean, the kids LOVE the pool--which is shallow enough for little kids and fun enough with the slides for my older daughter. Free wireless internet, free bike rentals. We ran out of time to check out the bikes this year, but it will be on our list of things to do next year. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is really nice--lots of choices and options (hot and cold). They even provide to-go cups for coffee with the paper thingy that slides over the cup so your hand doesn't get too hot. Seriously, it's the little things like this which make me love this hotel.There's a delicious Italian restaurant connected that provides room service and will deliver your dinner to you pool side, if you want. On top of all of that you can purchase a Smore's kit from the front desk and a staff member will come outside and build you a fire in one of their outdoor fire pits. My husband and I relaxed outside while the kids enjoyed roasting marshmallows. This is just a great hotel with friendly staff members who go above and beyond. So rare nowadays. We won't stay anywhere else. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. Yay for to-go coffee cups and amazing customer service!!!! :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful comments. I am so glad to hear that you and your family are able to enjoy all the areas of our hotel and the amenities we have to offer. It is truly rewarding to know that we have now become a part of your annual 4th of July vacation. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us~ we truly appreciate your loyalty.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family of three is traveling across the country. We had an overnight stay here. The hotel is very nice! It is clean, the people are friendly, great pool (big slide!) the room was good. The free breakfast had a good variety, there was always a treat out when you walked by the front counter. The Italian place connected to the hotel was excellent. There is a wonderful coffee shop and a wine store across the parking lot. Both places had extremely friendly people working! I got my nails done across the way, they did a good job. Downtown Sioux Falls is a little...dicey...the Sioux Falls Park is worth checking out. Would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your past experience from your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all and hearing directly from our guests is a great way to know if we have accomplished our goal. I hope you have a nice visit while in Sioux Falls and I am thrilled that we were a part of your experience here.
We welcome you to stay with us again!
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Clean and quiet. The pool is awesome for kids. It goes from 1-3 feet deep. Two slides - a frogs mouth and a spiral slide. Overall great experience. I can't comment on the breakfast because we slept through it! We will stay here again on our way through South Dakota.

• Stayed July 2013
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice comments about your past stay with us. I am so glad to hear that your kids were able to enjoy the indoor water playland. I hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls and I am glad we were able to be a part of your vacation.
We are looking forward to your return trip!
Val Carman, General Manager

Been to Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!