“Good Sauce” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Good Sauce”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went to JL for lunch. I expected more from the burgers. Kind of thin and fried a little crisp for my liking.I like a thick juicy burger. It would have been a total fail if not for the sauce. But the sauce is charged seperatly. 1.69 for each side of sauce. They have some fun things, like free postcards to send to your friends. You fill them out and they mail them. Good advertizing for them. Nice atmosphere. Friendly service.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Fun Atmosphere, Excellent Food, Great Service. I would definately reccomend. The selection of craft beers was outstanding. The kitchen is open and you can watch your food being prepared, Including the fresh cut fries or chips.--I would go with the Season Chips!

Visited August 2012
South Dakota
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I went there on a Sunday for a late lunch. They weren't busy so we got a table immediately. The first thing I noticed was their huge selection of tap beers. Their keg cooler has windows so you can see them, which was pretty cool. Like I said, it was an early Sunday afternoon so I wasn't in the mood for a beer. We had burgers and fries. I had the loaded fries. The burgers were average. About the same you would get from Perkins. The fries weren't all that good. They looked burnt on the outside and they were soggy. They claim they are fresh cut. They probably aren't blanching them. Fries should be crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Mine tasted ok because they were loaded. You could put nacho cheese, bacon, and peppers on cardboard and it would taste good, though. he reason for my bad review is the only water they have is bottled.($1.50) soda comes in cans (also 1.50) They must have over 50 beer taps and they can't serve ice water? I think this is the first time I've been to an eating establishment that didn't have free ice water. I don't think I'll go back, unless it is just for a beer and someone else is buying.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great selection of tap beers.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here for a date and waited 20 min for a place to sit and were seated at the bar. Kinda disappointed we didn't get a table but decided to give the place a go. Service was very fast. We ordered burgers, chips and fries. The burgers were good with very fresh buns but nothing extraordinary. The fries and chips were ok. Our overall experience was ok not quite the place for a date. The thing that frustrated me was that they do not serve water! You can only buy bottled water. I guess they want to sell more beer. Probably won't go back unless it just for a beer.

Traverse City, Michigan
“It's all about the beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

JL Beers is a small regional chain in the upper midwest. It has a staggering array of beers on tap (I'd guess ~30 or so), and also offers pre-set flights of beers as well. My wife and I opted for two sets of flight, nearly all of which offered a nice array of regional craft brews.

Note that I said "nearly all" of the ten beers we sampled, one was a Guinness Stout. JLB also offers other mega-brewed beers which is something of a disappointment for beer snobs out there. But it is what it is.

They also offer burgers and (allegedly) fresh-cut fries. Since we were eating late, we were just going to sample the fries themselves. However, we fortunately asked if they had vinegar to serve with the fries. Nope, none. No malt vinegar. No cider vinegar. No wine vinegar. Nada. So we opted for the "loaded" fries which were offered topped with cheese and a nice coating of jalapenos. Unfortunately, the fries did not taste fresh-cut. Another disappointment.

Service was relatively attentive, though not especially outgoing or responsive.

So, I rate this place "average." It reminds me, in a way, of 7 Monks located in Traverse City, Michigan, but without the quality (and variety) of food that 7 Monks offers, or with the myriad of European beers offered by 7 Monks. But for those looking to sample a wide range of beers, including a few high-gravity and high-alcohol beers made in the US, you won't be disappointed. Just satisfy your food appetite first.

• Visited July 2012