“Wonderful place to connect with christ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 45 things to do in Sioux Falls
Mitchell, South Dakota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to connect with christ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

This cathedral is beautiful inside the renovation really made it look nice yet preserved the original parts. I love how in this cathedral its so big but it still has a warmth to it that makes you feel almost at home. The couple times I have gone to mass here the congregation seems welcoming and friendly I'm sure they are used to visitors all the time.

1 Thank dandhoct28

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Beautiful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This cathedral is so beautiful that I wasn't able to pay attention during mass! I live on the west side and try to come here often.

Visited December 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“St. Joseph Cathedral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Absolutely stunning. Reminds me of the many European Cathedrals I have seen but with better lighting. We also went to the small chapel at the back (walk around the outside of the Cathedral) which was also beautiful. There is also a little park with a grotto to the left (when you are looking at the front of the Cathedral) which is nice. For a distant view of the Cathedral, go to the observation tower at Falls Park where you can see St. Joseph's rising over the city.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank 20Tehya07
Omaha, Nebraska
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“European Cathedral in the heart of Sioux Falls - who knew?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My daughter and I went to St. Joseph Cathedral for Easter mass. I read some TripAdvisor reviews before deciding to go to church there and decided to give it a try. I was expecting a grand European-style church (like Cologne or the like). When we walked to the front, I thought "well, this has the styling of a European cathedral, but was rather plain in comparison". I was anticipating being disappointed when entering. Was I surprised.

You enter through large solid wood doors - heavy doors. When the doors to the sanctuary open, it is an eyeful. Absolutely beautiful. Even MORE beautiful than some European churches! The cathedral was just renovated, and it shows. The main colors are subdued, yet perfect, to accentuate the colors of the sculptures and adornments. The refurbished gilded lines are tasteful and not too overbearing (which the European roccoco churches can be, in my opinion). The colors of the sculptures are bright and eye-popping.

We arrived a few minutes late for Easter mass but could still find a seat - albeit a very obstructed view seat - right behind the huge faux-marble pillars (typical of this type of cathedral architecture and era). However, it gave me a chance to enjoy the beauty of the church as well as listen to the Easter story and sermon.

I can see why this is ranked the #1 attraction in Sioux Falls. It is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations to the Catholic Archdiocese on a beautiful renovation.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank burnsomaha
HARTFORD
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“St. Joseph Cathedral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This Cathedral has just been renovated. It is amazing inside. Beautiful artwork and stained glass windows.

Visited April 2014