“A very nice budget chain” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 200 Points
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Camano Island, Wa.
“A very nice budget chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I have been hesitant about staying at a Microtel. It's not the most flattering name for a motel. Makes it sound like it has real tiny rooms, like a cruise ship cabin. But the chain is always ranked at the top in Consumer Reports ratings of budget motels. And we were taking a month long cross country road trip, so we gave it a try.

My first impression wasn't the best. There was no one at the front desk, just a sign saying to Dial 0 from the phone next to the desk. I did, and the phone alongside me behind the desk rang! It must have rang 30 times before someone came running from the back and answered the phone. Seeing me standing right there he said "Oh, it's you on the phone." After that bizarre start, things improved dramatically. The desk clerk was very friendly and checked me in quickly. We took the elevator up to our room, which turned out to be rather nice. It is fairly small, but didn't feel cramped at all. It reminded me of the Ibis chain we have stayed in while traveling in France. There isn't a lot of furnituure, but it's well designed. An interesting feature is the bay window with a cushion in it. It takes the place of a chair, and didn't take up any floor space. A large mirror behind the bed makes the room seem larger. Everything was very clean, and the bathroom is a good size. The free internet worked fine too.

The small breakfast room is right off the front desk. It had a decent selection: 3 cereals, oatmeal, toast, bagels, mini muffins. All in all, this turned out to be a nice stay. We wound up staying at 2 more Microtel's on this trip. For not much more than a Motel 6, you get a nicer room, with free internet and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Great value hotel. The rooms are nothing luxurious but have nice little window seats. This is the perfect stopover hotel. The location near the Empire Mall is for my money the best area to stay at while visiting Sioux Falls. The breakfast was also the best among the chain hotels during our trip across South Dakota.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

After staying here, my wife and I are puzzled at the previous good reviews. In our first room, the air conditioner did not work, so we changed rooms. In the second room, the air conditioner worked, but clanked like an auto mechanic on speed. Finally we settled for ear plugs.

The motel isn't bad for the price, but is run-down and not clean. The breakfast is minimal at best. If you can afford $10-20 more, use the money to stay at a better place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Lincoln Ne.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We just stayed at this Microtel not once but twice in one week. We were on a 14 hour drive from Lincoln NE to Ely MN. We booked it for the front end of our vacation and it was perfect. Its clean, affordable, good breakfast and just off I-29. So there's no "searching" for it when you are tired. We had told the kids we "weren't sure where we were going to stay on the way back" but we had it booked already. We would've cancelled if the place was shabby, but all of us were very surprised at the amenities, the good nights rest and the proximity to the interstate all for just $60. All we had was one overnight bag for the 4 of us and so we didn't even unload the car. We were there to eat (breakfast) and sleep and it was perfect!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Sauk Rapids, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

This hotel was a good place to stay. Your basic room, clean and quiet. Just stayed here overnight, great price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Heading westward, we stopped here for the night. The price was excellent and the room very clean and comfortable (my wife loved the window seat). The continental breakfast was exceptional. My only complaint is that it is a little awkward to get to - but this may be more due to how tired I was at the time I checked in.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Read the reviews on tripadvisor and was happy a hotel in this price range had actually good reviews. The last lady put pictures of the rooms which was nice since the ones on orbitz and other sites had a giant x and would not load. This can be scary but once we drove in I was very surprised it looked newly built or newly remodeled. We booked a sunday-monday stay from skiing at Great Bear and we were beat. Lady at the front desk was nice and we were put on the 3rd floor at the very end I again was surprised! Room was small though we got a room with a micro/fridge which wasn't stated on the room amenities plus bathroom was clean and huge. beds were very comfy and from what I could tell it was very clean. Breakfast was good wish they had a self making waffle machine but what can I say it was worth it. Don't forget to look for codes for orbitz bookings I had a 15% off code and it took of $9 which paid nearly all the tax and fees.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business