“Clean and cheap.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 48 hotels in Sioux Falls
Howell, Michigan
“Clean and cheap.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here on our way to custer state park. It wasnt right off I 90 but was worth the extra few miles of driving. The price was cheapest in the area and the room was fine for an overnight stay. The continental breakfast included muffins, bagels, cereal, milk, juice and toast. We were happy with our stay.

• Stayed August 2012

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rochester, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Am in the motel right now, in the room there is the amusing odor of stale cigarettes and human body odor. Why? Tho I would never reserve a smoking room, the front desk claims that I did so, and "no other rooms". Not surprising since only one of 3 floors are non-smoking!

Stains everywhere, burns on the rug, all surfaces sticky, paper thin walls, and a "breakfast" consisting of lowest quality carb junk, and of course, no fruit. But the prices here manage to stay right up there with other, assumably clean motels around here.

Microtel started out with clean places, but "smaller" rooms. Most chains, like Holiday Inn, change their names when they "go backward", but Microtel continues to use the brand, when Muckrotel would be a better name....

Room Tip: There are other motels in this same neighborhood, stay there and go over to Microtel and walk thru t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Molly H, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sioux Falls, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I agree with the conditions with our smoking rooms and thats what happens to the rooms after a few years of people smoking in them. If I won't have been booked that night I would have moved you to a nonsmoking room. Also all smoking rooms are on the 3rd floor the other two floors are nonsmoking but you can't always guarantee that people don't smoke in the nonsmoking rooms, but we try are best to make sure that doesn't happen or they get charged. I will agree that the breakfast room is small and doesn't have a lot of items on it. It has cereal, bagels, bread, muffins the main things. I would like to get more and that is why I am in the process of renovating my breakfast room so we can add more to it.
Gonic, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This location was convenient and just off the highway. My arrival was good and the room was okay. There was some damage to the ceiling in the room, but the bed and room and bathroom were all fine. There was no soap or shampoo, but I brought my own. The night person Rachel was a scrambler, friendly and trying to quickly process people in and it also looked like she was folding laundry. The morning desk person, Stephanie, on the other had was a bear. When a guest asked for the safe charge to be removed, she snarled that they should have booked online and known about it. She reluctantly agreed to remove it, but implied the guest, who stated they had phone in a reservation and was charged the room charge the night before, did not see the charge until getting the folio on the morning.
The breakfast room was extremely confined with four 2 chair tables, but with 2 guests at at the counter and 2 sitting it was almost impossible to access the breakfast room and the selections were very limited.
The room was good, the greeting was good, the amenities were missing, the breakfast was not worth the fight to get into the room and Stephanie's attitude basically scratched this location off my list with other affordable options in the area.
This is probably a 3.5 but I will not return due to the undisclosed safe charges and the confrontations with guests when they ask to have them removed.

Room Tip: I heard no noise and did not see an advantage of one room over another. I was on the third floor an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in several hotels on our trip through South Dakota. This one was not only the nicest, but also the least expensive. Our room, while small (hence the name Microtel), was immaculate and comfortable. Brooke at the front desk was very friendly and wanted to make sure we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is a bit tricky to find from the highway, but still in a convenient location. We never heard any highway noise. I'd gladly return!

• Stayed June 2012
Faulkton, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stay here often when in Sioux Falls. The last time in Dec11/Jan12. Price is right, rooms are clean. If you get a single queen expect small.
Breakfast-The juice dispenser was broken and nothing indicated this. When I complained to the desk clerk, she put a out of order sign but this was @ 9am and breakfast started @ 6am. Since I do not drink coffee, there was no other options. There was only a small pitcher of milk on ice for cereal. As I was leaving the first morning, the second desk clerk was returning a jug of orange juice. The second morning they had a jug of orange juice on ice, but it tasted like it had been hot/metal taste. While i was @breakfast, the same girl brought out an emply jug and refilled from the broken juice dispenser and took it back, possibly to cool.

Room Tip: do not take the room on the first floor by the vending machines, very noisey.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Mitchell, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The room would have looked nice if it would have had clean carpet, the carpet was extremely dirty looking. The bathroom walls were dirty. The bathtub was dirty. There was trash (halloween costume packaging) on the tv stand, in the "closet" and sticking out from under one of the beds. There was dirt, crumbs, or something on the floors in the bathroom. Neither of us could get connected to their wi-fi on our laptops we had to use a different motels instead! There were 2 of us and we were there early evening, so were going to just hang out in the room till bedtime, but there was only one chair in this room. Last time we stayed at this one, there were 2. So, I called the desk and asked if we could have another chair. I was told probably not, they there weren't any. It was 11/01/11 and the place was NOT full. I was told she would ask and call right back. I waited 15 minutes, no response, so I walked downstairs. The clerk was busy yakking on the phone (giggling and stuff and sounded personal) and ignored me while I was there waiting for her to finish. So I helped myself to a chair from the dining room. Funny how although she was facing me and I picked it up and carried it to the elevator in front of her, that it took me getting in and pushing the button for her to holler "ma'am, lobby furniture is supposed to stay in the lobby" I fought the urge to holler back, "ma'am, the chair wasn't in the lobby it was in the dining room" but the door closed quickly. When did they decide that 2 people can sit in one chair??? By the way, that clerk every single time I saw her was busy laughing and talking on the phone. We were overlooking the filthy carpet, trash and other dirty areas because at least the beds were clean looking. The card there to fill out for reviewing them was wrote across by someone else for notes, but I filled it out anyway. Wonder if it got turned in? It even included my name and address. We will NEVER voluntarily stay at that place again

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This motel missed the mark compared to other Microtels we've visited. Location has an industrial feel, though there are nearby restaurants and attractions. Lobby and breakfast area are cramped and rundown feeling. No curb appeal and the rooms were clean, but worse for wear. Staff was pleasant, but not terribly welcoming. All in all, I would return for the price, but if another motel nearby offered a similar rate, I'd stray and hope for better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sioux Falls? Share your experiences!