“noisy, unsafe, and shabby” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Suite;Save 20%
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Sioux Falls
midwest usa
“noisy, unsafe, and shabby”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Avoid this place, it's priced cheaply but you get what you pay for. Our chief complaint was the noise - we could hear everyone showering or flushing, doors slamming, etc. The side door had a key slide that didn't work, so anyone could walk in off the street. There was a big ruckus at 3 AM Monday morning - crazy! Lastly, the rug had been patched, the bathroom wall had a huge crack around the sink like it was about to fall down, and the bathroom was dirty. It was not a nice way to start our vacation!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank kanddmom4

Bridgeport, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is an average hotel in the Microtel chain nothing too special. Getting to the hotel itself was an adventure. You can see it as you approach from the interstate so you know it is there, but with all the construction and congestion in the area finding it was a chore. It is the first right as you come off the interstate bridge, but because of the construction I had to go on down to the next street. The area mall in on the right side of the street coming in so if you arrive at the wrong time of day you then have to wait for the traffic congestion to get to that next street (which I did). I then had to drive down that second street until I seen a connecting road that led down to the other street the hotel was on (there was one by a large hardware store) and backtrack back to the motel.

Check in went fine. When I first entered the room there was a bad smell. Not sure if it was musty or exactly what. I guess I kind of got used to it or the climate control unit alleviated it somewhat, but it did become a little less noticeable after a time. The room appeared clean though and the linens were clean. The rooms can be a bit small for families, but good for business, solo and couple travelers. The beds were comfortable and they give you several pillows to use. The work area wasn't overly large, but useable. Not that many plugins to use though. I had to go under the desk to plug my laptop in. My cell phone and camera I had to plug in and set on the floor by the bed so if you are one who likes all your stuff in the same place this may distract you a bit.

About 15 minutes into the room the front desk called and asked if everything was ok with the room and if there was any luggage that was not mine in the room. Ended up a guest checked out that morning, but they didn't pull the person's room ticket from their housekeeping records and she had to call to make sure that the room was not double booked. She was very apologetic about it and was very nice throughout the whole matter, but a bit scary the logistics system isn't a bit stronger and allowed this to happen in the first place.

Only real gripe I had was the odor in the room. Not sure if all the rooms had this smell, but the room I stayed in at least needed a good ionization treatment and a stick up. The breakfast was average and the employees were friendly so overall I'll call it a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
Spring Valley, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We checked in and everything was okay, slow, but we got our room. The rooms are a bit small. The beds were comfortable, but the bedding is worn and in need of replacement. The carpet is worn out, has some stains and needs to be replaced (at least in our room). I'll be honest, my kids were very loud that night and we had a hard time settling them down. The bikers on their way to Sturgis were much quieter than we were. One good thing is that the guest laundry/washing machine is free. The drier is not, but it was only 75 cents to operate. Breakfast is cereal, toast, pastries, juices and coffee, but the breakfast is free which is good for families. This hotel is very close to I29 so very convenient and is also right across the street from the Empire Mall. We'd stay there again since we only needed a roof over our heads that night, but it's nothing special.

camden, maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had been driving 700 miles a day with no time to shop motels when we arrived late at night. Mobile Internet gave my companion the ability to search hotels by reviews and amenities offered. Having never been at a Microtel before I was hesistant. The room was spotless, the a/c was excellent though a little noisy, and the beds were top quality with fitted bottom sheets ( a welcome surprise after fighting with top sheets used as bottom sheets in other hotels. . e.g.They end up in a bunch and youre sleeping on a raw mattress instead!) The ammenities to value ratio was indicitive of a 4 star hotel yet the price was reasonable...especially with a AAA club card. Breakfast was spartan but adequate continental style. Check in was a breeze, service friendly and sleep easily attained. We will stay again....which we did the next night in Indiana with similar results. Can't ask for better for the price! Oh and floor level washer dryer was a bonus as well.

Room Tip: If you are getting in late always ask for ground floor room and don't forget to ask for non-smok...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank serious49
North Platte, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights and were very pleased with the cleanliness, comfort, and price of the rooms. It was also located near alot of resturants, and shopping. Very easy to find. Will definetly stay there again!!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here for a quick overnight and got great value for what we paid. The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel itself was pleasant enough.

Our luggage was delayed and the hotel provided us with some basic amenities at no charge.

The breakfast room was small, but for a budget motel, the food was more than adequate.

The walls are somewhat thin, so bring ear plugs.

Although I was not with my family, I do not think they would have liked this place too much, as their was not too many kid friendly things for them to do, but for a late overnight, it would be fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank billyspans
Central Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I had booked a reservation for our family to stay here for one night. I walked in and the place did not smell right. I asked to see the room & as the manager & I rode the elevator another guest was complaining about the smell. She said it was pot & that the whole place smelled like it since she checked in the night before. The room was dated, smelled musty & there were stains on the couch. We chose to stay elsewhere that night.

1 Thank CentralWisconsinBarb