“Room was basic but very clean” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn Bonus Pts
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Sioux Falls
“Room was basic but very clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We are traveling from Missouri to Alaska and needed an affordable place to stay and get some sleep. We used priceline and was nervous after reading some of the previous reviews. We were actually even debating on taking a loss for this hotel and driving through the night because people were saying it was gross and dirty. We decided to check it out before deciding and to our surprise it was very clean and the staff was helpful. We were put into a room with a single bed and with kids we asked for a room with two beds and the lady wa more than wiling to upgrade us. It definitely isn't a fancy hotel but it has all you need if your not looking to spend a lot of money. We are pretty picky people and we didn't have any complaints for the price we got. I would definitely reccomend this place if all you need is a goodnights sleep in a decent place with clean beds and a clean room!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This hotel is by far the most disgusting hotel I have EVER stayed in. My first room had hair all over the bathroom floor and in the tub (small curly ones too!) Then when I went to call the front desk I found a hair on the phone receiver! GROSS! So the front desk gave me a new room. This time I was in inspection mode.... there was still hair on the floor (not as much), there were those nice short curly hairs in the tub, blue streak cleaning spray all over the tub (obviously not wiped down), there was an old dusty tortillia chip that was just under the side of the bed, a crumpled up clothing tag discarded inside the closet (which also had hair on it) oh yes.... and there was another small curly hair by the phone again. When I called the front desk again I wanted her to come up and see that I wasn't just making this stuff up. So she said she would be up, then never came... so I stayed up for nothing. Then the next day when I wanted to speak with the manager, she wasn't there so I left a note for her to call me. Two days later I called them and the manager was conveniently in a "meeting" in which she would be given the message that I called and wanted her to call me back. Its been over a week and I still have not heard anything. If I could rate this hotel in NEGATIVE stars I would. Seeing the previous reviews I would say that my stay was not a fluke. Terrible property, terrible staff, and what really sucks is that I paid the same price here that I did for a 4 star luxury resort in Reno later in the week! The best part of a 4 star resort.... NO HAIR!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I reserved a suite room for one night and a regular room for another (using reward points) and hadn't noticed until I had made the booking and decided to worry about it once I got there. The front desk agent was more than happy to let me stay in the suite room for 2 nights and never wanted anything for the 2nd night's upgrade. The same desk agent was more than happy to help me get my things to my room and really made me feel welcome.

I loved the room. It had a living room and a bedroom and of course a bathroom. In the living room side there was access to the fridge, microwave and small kitchen sink. The TV could be seen from either side just by turning the TV. The bedroom had a wardrobe, desk and under the window seat were some drawers. It was an incredibly economical use of space and it really works. The bed was super soft and really comfortable and I really did almost miss breakfast on the 2nd morning. The air conditioning was wonderful as it had a thermostat so you could set it to a comfortable level and you didn't have to worry about waking up too hot or too cold. I also hardly heard it run.

It is at a great location close to the shopping mall and the Great Plains Zoo. It meant I really didn't have to travel far to do things I wanted to do.

Of the many places I stayed at on this road trip (8 in all) this by far was the best.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Lincoln, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

The room rate was 78.00 which was a fair price. It was only worth 8.00. The room was filthy. Walls were paper thin. We heard every door shut and toilet flush. Beds were so bad we all woke up with sore backs. The breakfast was a joke. Stale muffins and bagels. I will never stay here or at another Microtel again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I had rooms here, along with several of our friends. We were in town for a wedding. Our bathroom floor was extremely sticky, and the room had obviously not been cleaned well prior to our arrival. However, we figured that they would clean it with the next cleaning session, and we didn't complain about it. For two days in a row, our room was not cleaned -on the second day apparently someone came by, because a little note on the dresser said that they "couldn't move personal belongings" so the room was not cleaned. We did have a bag on our bed -so apparently it wasn't possible to move it and change linens, NOR to clean the bathroom and give us fresh towels! One of our friends had the exact same experience. When we explained this to the employee at the front desk, we were informed that "cleaning had gone home for the day" and that we would have to wait until the next day for our rooms to be cleaned (this was at 5pm). We asked to speak with the manager and were told that the manager would not be back until Monday (this was Friday) and wasn't available by phone either. We decided to switch to another hotel at this point, and asked the front desk employee to please give us a refund, as we would not be spending the night. She said that she wasn't allowed to perform this action, that it required a manager, but that we could ask for a retroactive refund from the manager on Monday. We left the hotel and found clean rooms elsewhere. My husband spent a total of 4 days trying to obtain a refund for the night that we DIDN'T STAY there, and although he is a very calm person usually, was extremely frustrated at how unprofessional the manager was when the manager FINALLY came back to work -which was not on Monday as we had been told, but a week later. Our friends have not had the same success, and are still not refunded their money. Very frustrating experience. Very poor standards for both cleanliness and professionalism.

Camano Island, Wa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I have been hesitant about staying at a Microtel. It's not the most flattering name for a motel. Makes it sound like it has real tiny rooms, like a cruise ship cabin. But the chain is always ranked at the top in Consumer Reports ratings of budget motels. And we were taking a month long cross country road trip, so we gave it a try.

My first impression wasn't the best. There was no one at the front desk, just a sign saying to Dial 0 from the phone next to the desk. I did, and the phone alongside me behind the desk rang! It must have rang 30 times before someone came running from the back and answered the phone. Seeing me standing right there he said "Oh, it's you on the phone." After that bizarre start, things improved dramatically. The desk clerk was very friendly and checked me in quickly. We took the elevator up to our room, which turned out to be rather nice. It is fairly small, but didn't feel cramped at all. It reminded me of the Ibis chain we have stayed in while traveling in France. There isn't a lot of furnituure, but it's well designed. An interesting feature is the bay window with a cushion in it. It takes the place of a chair, and didn't take up any floor space. A large mirror behind the bed makes the room seem larger. Everything was very clean, and the bathroom is a good size. The free internet worked fine too.

The small breakfast room is right off the front desk. It had a decent selection: 3 cereals, oatmeal, toast, bagels, mini muffins. All in all, this turned out to be a nice stay. We wound up staying at 2 more Microtel's on this trip. For not much more than a Motel 6, you get a nicer room, with free internet and breakfast.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Great value hotel. The rooms are nothing luxurious but have nice little window seats. This is the perfect stopover hotel. The location near the Empire Mall is for my money the best area to stay at while visiting Sioux Falls. The breakfast was also the best among the chain hotels during our trip across South Dakota.