“Excellent service, offbeat menu, good quality, nice wine and beer choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parker's Bistro

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Urban spoon number one for Sioux Falls, SD
Vienna, Virginia
“Excellent service, offbeat menu, good quality, nice wine and beer choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This place was recommended through a coworker's family being friends of the owners. At first I thought, well, that would be a biased opinion of the place and probably not be as good as I'd like. But, I was pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere, service and food. This is a quality restaurant with some unusual options off the beaten path of typical restaurants.

Whether you're in town for one day or a week, be sure to set aside time for at least one dinner here!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Good food & service, small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had the pleasure of eating here with some business associates we had very attentive and friendly service and the menu was filled with interesting choices. I had the baked ravioli which was very good for an appetizer and the flat iron steak for an entree which was a great cut of beef. Problem here was for $24 the "streak" was four small, almost bite sized slices of meat. I have been to every steak house you can name and I thought this was ridiculous it was a bit too precious. I would recommend this restaurant because the food was good but the portion size was ridiculous for the prices charged.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fargo, North Dakota
“Nice atmosphere, interesting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Parker's is in an old building and they have taken advantage of the natural beauty of the bare brick walls and hardwood floors. The only downside of this is that it can be a bit noisy.

We started with a smoked salmon served on beet rosti. The salmon appeared to have been smoked with the skin on so it was creamy and moist top to bottom, without the dry "smoke line" exterior you sometimes see. Next course was the Caesar salad which was fine though nothing to recommend. The oddest thing was that there was an additional charge for anchovies. Uh, what?? I found it very odd to pay for a key ingredient. Kind of like having to pay for the tarragon in your béarnaise. For our entrée we both had the flank steak which was very flavorful and cooked perfectly. The menu indicated it was served with a caprese and twice baked potato. Check on the caprese, but the chunk of twice baked potato fell more into the garnish category.

Despite giving Parker's a few dings I would definitely return. It is a welcome respite in a field of chain restaurants and a little gem for a town of this size.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
“Almost A Perfect Night Out...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was a couples night out, the pace was slow and relaxed, our waiter was very charming and overall the food was very good. Menu pricing is a' la carte, however they do offer half and full size portions for the soup/salad course which brings it back in line with any other fine dining place in town. The menu is somewhat limited, so if you don't have a very adventurous palate, this may not be the place for you. I would have loved to given this place a higher rating, but if you read further you'll understand why.

The four of us started with the Artisan Cheese Plate ($14), all enjoying the variety presented... some selections better than others. A little light on crackers if sharing, however and without hesitation, our waiter brought out more when asked.

Second course was wonderful, three fresh house salads (half size which was plenty) and a bowl of gumbo soup (big thumbs up). We were long done with our second course, when our waiter finally came out with some additional bread and said it would be a little bit longer before the entrée course would be up. We were all enjoying the relaxed pace of our evening so it made no difference to us.

Finally everybody's entree's came out with beautiful presentation, one ordering Scallops (large, fresh and cooked to perfection),one the Fish and risotto (surprisingly a large portion and excellent flavor I was told), a New York Strip (which looked perfect and was told tasted the same) and I had chosen the Stuffed Pork Chop ($22) with a chipotle polenta cake thinking it would have a nice little spicy kick to it.

Turns out the polenta and stuffing were surprisingly a little bland, but what ruined the meal for me was the preparation of the pork. I know that they say pork doesn't have to be cooked to death to be safe, but after about the fourth or fifth bite which had been cooked perfectly, I bit into barely warm meat. Scraping off the vegetable stuffing, I noticed that a portion of the chop still had a thick band of bright white fat and the meat was close to the consistency of raw chicken, obviously that portion had barely hit the skillet. I was just so turned off that I can't say for certain if the rest of the plate was good or not because I had completely lost my appetite!

When the waiter inquired why I barely touched the plate, I just told him I wasn't very hungry. I probably should have said something, but even if I had sent it back, I don't think I could have eaten it anyway after that. I figured there was no reason to put a damper on what thus far had been such a wonderful evening, so much so that I didn't even mention it to my husband until we got home.

Ending on a high note and totally making up for my entrée, the dessert was unbelievable (Southern Style Chocolate Pudding - $7 and worth every penny)... and I would go back just to have that pudding again... Yum!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“The place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great atmosphere, a combination of upscale and relaxed. The food is very good. The selection is somewhat limited but the dishes are masterfully executed. The espresso was well made. Bravo! The only "oops!" was when we ordered a beer and were given a check with price higher than in the menu. The waiter explained to us that the bottle is actually bigger than the one mentioned in the menu and they did not want to charge us the lower price as was written in the menu. We decided that this minor nuisance should not bug us, but it left an unpleasant impression and we are talking 2 dollars!

• Visited August 2013