“Good sushi and nice place to eat” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Good sushi and nice place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I agree with the person who said that Sushi Masa is like a home town diner only with sushi. I have only been there for dinner, not lunch so I can't comment on any lunch specials, and I've been going there for over 2 years. Compared to their competitors in Sioux Falls, I think Sushi Masa is the one place that I know I will not be ripped off. I think their dinner prices are much better than someplace like Fuji or Tokyo, which I think have overpriced dinner menus and good lunch specials. I think there were a couple of times last year when I thought that Sushi Masa's spicy tuna rolls did not seem fresh, but when I ordered some last night it was great. I used to carry out sashimi frequently from them and it was always fresh. Obviously this is the Midwest and I can't compare the sushi I've had at Sushi Masa with anything I've had on the East or West Coast, but it satisfies the taste buds and takes care of sushi cravings. Also, they have good and decently priced plum sake.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“This is sushi?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I ordered one of my favorite dishes and it tasted AWFUL. There are other restaurants in town with much better, much fresher sushi, yet this place has a line out the door every day at lunchtime. Save the wait and go to Tokyo.

Visited March 2013
Menasha, Wisconsin, United States
“Like a Japanese Diner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Masa Sushi is like a home town diner only with great sushi. I was greeted quickly & sat at the bar. The waiter brought saki and tea quickly and was back in minutes to take my order. The Tricolor was a dinner sushi platter that came with a salad and miso soup. Lots of food for $22. The portions were extra large and very fresh. The miso soup was made with potatoes and onions...a tasty change to a traditional item. I will return!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Terribly Slow Service, Awful Miso Soup, Inattentive Waitress.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

As I have been living in Asia and travelling to Japan multiple times, I am always skeptical to reviews saying how good a Japanese food is in the US. But Sushi Masa Japanese is definitely one of those that do not deserve a good review.

In a Sunday evening I went to this Japanese Restaurant when I passed Sioux Falls, SD, based on a friend's recommendation. At the first sight this restaurant did not seem anything wrong. There were 3 or 4 waitresses/waiters, 2 Asian sushi chefs, a couple staffs in the back kitchen, and the whole restaurant was NOT at all busy (probably only 7 tables occupied with maximum 15-18 people); neither were there many walk-in customers for take-out food (as I only remembered seeing 1 guy came in during my visit there for a $8.50 take-out). But the waitresses were constantly chatting at the Cashier desk.

After we sat down the waitress brought as warm towels immediately, but after that she was extremely inattentive. We ordered our food, but it took more than 10 minutes to get our WATER and BEER, which was really ridiculous. Then it took another 20 minutes to get our Miso soup and salad. We could tell the salad had been in the fridge for a long time, but the most unacceptable meal came with the Miso soup - it was white miso with chunks of white onions and potatoes!!! Really? I know what a miso soup is since I was a kid, and there is no way one could substitute green onion/scallions to white onions and tofu to potato. The taste with potato in Miso soup was just awful and unacceptable. And I would not agree this was a twist or a contemporary version for a miso soup.

Then it came another long wait - another 25 minutes before the inattentive waitress brought us our sushi. During the wait the waitress did not come to our table to ask us if we needed anything. She just kept chatting with her co-workers and doing some chores at the cashier desk. The sushi was OK, but nothing really impressive.

Overall, I think the restaurant needs to retrain both its waitress and chefs.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Maui, Hawaii
“Best sushi in Sioux Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

First and still best. Love going to this small restaurant. Husband and wife owners prepare the sushi and if they aren't there it's closed. Food and service outstanding and feel welcome all the time.

• Visited June 2013