“Good hotel for the price; Mary K” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Good hotel for the price; Mary K”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed for three nights while visiting friends and had no real problems. The room was larger than we expected, especially the bathroom. About seven feet of vanity space and a huge mirror, plenty of fluffy white towels, everything clean and well designed. I liked the couch and coffee table as my friend visited us in the room. Breakfast was typical, waffles,eggs, cereal,toast, etc. The room was a little small and got really crowded on Sunday.The location is great, right off 29 near Empire Mall and lots of shops and restaurants. The only problem we had was when the room was cleaned one time no soap or water glasses were left and I had to go to the front desk to get them. The young man at the desk was very helpful in printing out maps and directions for us to find things. I have paid more for hotels that were not this good.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking ask for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Comfort is right off 29 and behind the Quality.
It's a Nicely kept older property that looks like it has been recently remodeled.
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, what more can you ask for.
I agree with the other advisors, it's a standard hotel.

Stayed July 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to the Black Hills in South Dakota in late June of 2014. The hotel itself is quite small from the outside and does feel a bit cramped on the inside too. The room we stayed in however was a very nice size.

The biggest negative to this hotel for me was cleanliness. A good vacuuming of the hallway floors and elevator floor would do wonders! It was amazing to me that a hotel could let the vacuuming get that bad.

I was also disappointed in the hotel pool. It wasn't the pool itself (which is small) but it was the behavior that was tolerated in the pool area by staff. While we were there, a staff member who had checked me in at the desk must have had family staying there. The family had young kids (which we did too) but the total lack of parental control was very annoying. There was a very small child, maybe two or so, who was continually doing cannonballs into the hot tub. This was done even in front of the staff member who came in to visit. So much for enjoying the hot tub! There were also children in the pool area with squirt guns. With a pool as small as this one, there should be a staff member checking up on it once in a while to make sure everything is comfortable for all guests.

The breakfast area was a bit small and it was hard for us to find a table in the morning to eat. There was a good selection though and we all went away full.

I don't think I would ever stay here in the future which is disappointing because I usually like Choice Hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
North Platte, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was okay. Next to the major shopping area of Sioux Falls but in no way pretty. It is tucked on a side street which feels more industrial.

The hotel itself is a bit dated and wasn't the cleanest. Our room had an odor, but I was too tired to ask for a different room. I just sprayed some lysol and tried to get used to it. The front desk staff seemed tired when I checked in and not overly friendly. Again, just average.

Normal amenities for Comfort - Fridge, Coffee Maker, Free Wifi

Again - I hate the safe fee they try to sneak into their billing. They remove it with no questions asked, but it just seems sneaky.

Breakfast offered blueberry waffle mix - but since I arrived about a half hour before it shut down - the rest of the offerings were wiped out.

Overall, I probably wouldn't stay at this property again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the last night of our South Dakota vacation, as we hoped to break up the drive back home to Minneapolis. I chose this site because of the Choice Hotels promotions where you stay two separate stays and get a $50 gift card. After spending two great nights at Frontier Cabins in Wall and four wonderful nights at the Comfort Inn & Suite in Rapid City, we were very underwhelmed by our experience at this hotel. The exterior looked old, but well-maintained, but I could not say the same for the neighborhood in which this was located. The lobby was clean and updated. When I entered the lobby to checkin around 5pm on the 4th of July, there was no one at the desk--the place looked deserted. I called a few times and an employee appeared and got me checked in quickly. We are not a family with extensive hotel experience, and I had expected it to be very similar to the Comfort Suite in Rapid City. Being a much smaller hotel, it is probably unfair to compare them. We got into our room and the kids started playing "Anthony" from "Hotels Impossible." They had big laughs pointing out everything that was wrong with the room (lots of dusty things--lamp shades, pictures, etc.) and actually seeing the bright side in all the flaws. We did not have bedding for the pull out couch, but it was delivered quickly and we made the bed ourselves (in Rapid City, the pull out was pre-made for our family of 5). Two of our kids each found a hair on their blankets that they swore did not belong to them, (both were long brown hairs, one found by our son and the other by our little blondie). I convinced them that my hairs must have fallen on their blankets--but I was not able to convince myself. I remained creeped out by the room the entire stay. Luckily, it was really just a place to sleep for the night and we did not have a lengthy stay here. Breakfast in the morning was a disappointment, compared to the large dining room and selection in Rapid City, but it was just fine for the small size of this hotel. They were out of regular syrup for the waffles. To find an employee to ask about syrup, I had to go to the main desk, where the employee insisted they had syrup. I explained that I could only find the sugar free syrup and I prefer for my kids not to have artificial sugar and was hoping they had regular syrup. A man in a suit then came with me to check. He showed my the syrup and I showed him that it is sugar free. I was surprised that someone I assumed to be the manager would not know the difference in their product offerings? Then he started looking in the cupboards as the server/maid appeared to help him. He seemed to chastise her, saying, "we had three cases before I left on vacation." He offered to call the hotel next store to get regular syrup but I told him not to bother since the kids were already seated with their warm waffles. After he left, the maid, whom he had treated rudely, told me that she told "them" yesterday they were out of syrup. I do not know if that meant the manager was aware of the syrup situation himself. We did not use the pool, since we were here for such a short time, but it was smaller than our above-ground pool in our back yard. Although I never expect to be in Sioux Falls again, if I were, I would not stay here. And I have learned more about how our family likes to travel--and that I cannot trust the brand of the hotel alone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Watertown, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Friendly service and our room was huge. Good selection of breakfast also. Only downside was pool was freezing and hot tub was lukewarm at best. I stayed under an family discount rate so it was an excellent value but I will not hesitate to stay again at full price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We checked in to this Motel since I am enrolled in the Choice Privieges Program and I used my points to pay for the room.The room was upgraded and perfect in all aspects.Assistant Manger Mike Mathews was very heplfull and cordial.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!