“Hostess AWOL, Everything Else Superb” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Hostess AWOL, Everything Else Superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

First, I have no idea why TA has a photo of the Country Inn here instead of the Golden Bowl.

When we arrived, there was no hostess to seat us. We waited and waited. One couple grabbed menus and seated themselves. I considered leaving, figuring this was off to a bad start. I asked another couple waiting if this was typical and they told me it was not. Finally, a hostess came and seated us. Our waitress came right way. She was friendly and prompt. She checked back once or twice and refilled our water. The food was hot and delicious. Dinner for the two of us was under $20, although we did not have drinks, appetizers or dessert. The restaurant was clean. When it was time to pay at the register, again, no hostess. Some people left their cash on the counter and left. She did eventually return. Overall, the food and the waitress made up for the hostess issue, so we would return.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Sioux Falls, SD
“False advertising on menu”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We ordered the Dragon & Phoenix Nest, it was awful! First of all, it was served in a fried tortilla bowl...Strange for a Chinese restaurant. The menu stated shrimp, scallops and crab. The shrimp was fine, the scallops looked questionable and the "crab" was the stringy imitation stuff. I mentioned it to the server, she said she'd tell the kitchen. She didn't remove it from the bill, even though we didn't eat it. When I went to pay, I told the hostess and she said that "everyone" uses fake crab. I told her I didn't feel I should be charged for it and she continued to argue with me. Finally, I just paid the bill and told her I wouldn't be back. Save your money and go somewhere else that is Chinese rather than tortillas and fake crab!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Terrible overdose of MSG inedible food huge disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Clean but had an odor. Didn't finish any of the meals everything was so salty tasting from overkill of MSG. I have adverse reactions to MSG so ate just the white rice because everything except the sweet and sour chicken had MSG. Couldn't eat the sweet and sour as it was so sweet it almost gags you. Wontons were literally a over fried wonton in old tasting oil with an eighth of an inch of something she called pork? Not kidding couldn't see it hardly. Soup was too salty (MSG). vegetables and chicken and sesame chicken same thing. Egg roll was okay as were potstickers. All food evaluations were from the rest of our 6 person table as I couldn't eat anything. All 6 of us thought this was a disappointing meal to say the least. Waitress never checked on us. Left a ton of food on the table and left to eat elsewhere after paying $9-10.50 a meal. Total bill $53. What a waste of money.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Our favorite Chinese in SF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Go for lunch, because all the same food shoots up in price for dinner, but this is a great classic Chinese restaurant for decent price. Try their soups!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Chinese in Sioux Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This is the cleanest and most reasonable Chinese place in town. Portions are excellent, the food is spectacular, and both dine in and take out never disappoint you. I go here no matter where I am in town because its the only Chinese I know can always be trusted in town.