“Wished it lived up to its reputation” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sioux Falls
“Wished it lived up to its reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

As a local SF resident, we had been meaning to try this place for a while. Tonight was the night to do so. Judging from other reviews, I was expecting a great meal. I would've settled for "good". Unfortunately. it just didn't happen. We began with the bread plate appetizer, which was spectacular with olives, hummus, truffle butter, etc... For the entrees, I ordered the lobster aignolotto and my husband ordered the risotto. As much as we'd love to give this place a thumbs up, we just can't. The pasta was cooked very much under the "al dente" stage, giving it a rubbery and rather tasteless texture. I let our server Cody know, and he informed us that "the owner, who is also a chef, is in the kitchen." Ummm, it seemed like he knew waaay better than me as to what al dente meant. (?) Cody did offer a free glass of wine in exchange for the disappointment of a $26 entree. Sigh. I did dig into my husband's plate of risotto, but found that oddly lacking in any type of wow factor. It was also not very tasty for the $23 price tag. I know food. I know good food, and this just wasn't it. As much as I'd love to give this place an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up, I can't do so in good conscience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Lake Benton, Minnesota
“Simple food perpared well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I went to lunch here and I thought it was delicious. I had a simple sandwich, but it didn't taste simple at all. It was pulled pork that was very tender. And it was served with a slaw like salad that had wonderful flavors. My husband had a heaping bowl of gumbo and he thought it was really good. And to top it off they have a large variety of local beers on tap. I had a pumpkin ale that was delicious.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am a Sioux Falls local and pride myself on eating in all of the best places in each town I visit (see my other reviews). I am known for giving very accurate assessments about restaurants for years. However, this restaurant, based on it's location is out a real treat for Sioux Falls. Usually this type of establishment would be an above average place in NYC or Las Vegas but for South Dakota, it is just amazing.

If you are looking for great food and either a craft beer or wine you have found the right place. The chef(s) here are cooking in the dining room, no fooling around just cooking. They are passionate about what they do and it comes across in their food. Honestly, if you get anything from here is will be a spot on representation of that dish. What more could you ask for? If you didn't/don't like something from this restaurant you won't like it anywhere.

Now, about the restaurant. The place is basically one large room and can get quite loud. It has a metro/industrial feel. I would suggest this for a nice meal for a couple that has been together not a first date. The food is great but the atmosphere isn't fitting for such an occasion. However, this is an outstanding place for large groups or a casual dinner with friends that enjoy great food.

One draw back about them cooking in the dinning room is that when service is going on when it is busy the place can get a bit smokey. It isn't the smell of a burning steak but you can leave smelling a bit like a restaurant. However, if you go in during the beginning or end of a service the smell is perfect. You get this amazing smell of amazing food.

One big upside is that the staff, though most of them are a bit young, are very knowledgeable about the food and drinks that they have. The food comes out in a timely manner and is always perfect. I also LOVE that if you do have any problem with your meal they are quick to fix the situation and ALWAYS have a smile when they do it. Usually I am so apprehensive about asking for my steak to be cook more etc.. that I end up just suffering through it. No need in this restaurant. The chefs want you to enjoy your food and will do anything they can to make sure that happens. Customer service is off the charts.

Ok, for me $60 for two is about average. I don't consider the prices here either high or low. However, if you are on a budget this would be a special occasion type of place. Parking can be a pain but you usually don't have to walk more than half a block to get in. Another downer, not for me but others is that they don't have a liquor license, but I am sure you can handle not having a rum coke for just once.

Overall an amazing place. The menu is small compared to large franchises but I would prefer 40 items done to perfection than 120 items that are terrible. Can't go wrong with this choice. Oh, was also voted South Dakota's #1 restaurant 2012. A panel of food critics can't be all wrong can they?

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sioux Falls, SD
“Best meal I've ever had in Sioux Falls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I never post reviews, however my meal last night was so good that I felt compelled to post a review. My wife and I both thought the meal was wonderful from begining to end. She had steak and I had the short rib. The service was great and the atmophere was decent. A little warming up of the atmosphere would make this place the best in town!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The scallops were amazing and the service very prompt. Will definitely visit again and bring friends!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere