“Old Hotel, New Life?” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miller, South Dakota
“Old Hotel, New Life?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a chance to stay at this hotel shortly after the name/brand change to Eco Hotel. Not much has changed since previous stays, other than the title on the sign outside. Anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay in downtown Rapid City should take a look at this property. Parking can be limited, however.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
KarimAdoba, Owner at Adoba Eco Hotel Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

You are right! In December of 2012, we only had finished one floor of the seven floors. In May of 2013, I am proud of having completed most of the rooms. I have posted some new pictures of the rooms. We themed the rooms with murals of the area, custom created every piece, such as a 10 foot long suspended desk while never trading good taste for functionality. I hope you try us again. I am confident you will like the rooms.

Karim Merali, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Grove City, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The decor and green concept of this hotel were appealing. Staff friendly and helpful. Complimentary breakfast was very good. We had trouble sleeping due to noisy neighbors one night. I suggest lighter blankets on the bed. There was a very nice down comforter but it was too hot. But when I just used the sheet I would get too cold. REally liked the look of the room and the cleanliness. Nice to get a treat each evening and fresh water bottles a couple times a day. I would definitely stay here again!
It was nice to be close to some good restaurants.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room so had lots of light!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Black Hills, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Spent two nights here on a business trip. Stayed on the 7th floor in one of the newly renovated eco rooms. Very cool decor with a mural of Sylvan Lake on one wall and a map of the Black Hills on the other. Very clean and quiet even though I was near the elevator. Had read past mentions of the train but only heard it once and I was already up. I can see how it might bother a late sleeper tho. Surprised not to find a mini fridge in the room but considering the eco-friendly vibe, that makes sense from that standpoint. Very nice to come back to the sweet treat on the bed in the evening. The conference rooms we used were nice enough and well serviced. Found the chairs uncomfortable, esp after sitting for 8 hours! Very nice being so close to everything downtown. Breakfast buffet was great! I would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: Stayed on the north side which had a nice few of the hills. Others may prefer the south as it is awa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Adoba in Rapid City. As the hotel had been remodeled and "improved" from it's prior state, I had high hopes. Unfortunately, this is not what I encountered. The heat ran so loudly that each time it kicked on it woke me from my sleep (usually a deep sleeper). I eventually had to turn the heat off so as to sleep in peace. The bed directly below the vent for the heat contained particles that blew from the vent and settled on the bedspread. The toilet chain continued to become detached from the handle, and I would have to reach into the tank to reconnect it.
The appearance of the room itself was very updated and modern. The sliding bathroom door added a great touch to the visual effect.

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Everything on the surface of the Adoba Eco Hotel looks great. And there are in fact many things to like about it. We were given a renovated room on the 7th floor and everything was very sleek and stylish - clean lines, muted tones, nice backsplash of trees behind the bed. Not to mention a mini piece of cheesecake waiting for us when we got in, a nice surprise. Everyone was very friendly (as is everyone we ran into in South Dakota) and both check-in/check-out were very smooth. There's a decent restaurant (Enigma), a bar that had live music playing on Saturday night, a mini market, and even a casino. It's located in the center of Rapid City on Main Street - it's not much of a downtown, but there are a number of restaurants, bars, and small shops within walking distance.

But after the initial first impression, I started to notice little things that just weren't completely great. The bed was OK, but not super-comfortable. The shower was difficult to adjust to the right temperature. Nice-smelling toiletries, but no hair conditioner. Weak Sunbeam hairdryer. I loved the design, but at the end of the day, I just want a great bed and a nice shower. And I wonder if the Adoba has suffered a bit for putting style over substance.

We had dinner at Enigma. It was OK - I enjoyed the bread with dipping sauce. Salad was good, pasta dishes just okay. Service was very friendly. We were back again the next morning for the included breakfast. It's great if you like omelets - they had a station for this, but otherwise, the options are limited (standard grocery-style muffins and danishes, some hot dishes including homestyle potatoes, but no standouts). A waffle maker or bagels or even English muffins would be nice additions. You are given a check to sign off on - there's no cost, but there's a space to leave a tip. I've never actually seen this at a complimentary hotel breakfast before.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd stay anywhere else if I were to return. There are not a ton of options in the area - and nothing above a 3* in the whole city. And for the price, it was a good value. Overall, it was pleasant enough. I just think there could be some improvement on the basics.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
VicePresidentSales1, Public Relations Manager at Adoba Eco Hotel Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Greetings from Rapid City!

Please accept my genuine appreciation for taking the time to share your observations regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Your feedback regarding areas of opportunity is very valuable and I look forward to sharing each and every one of them with the team.

As well as, your highlights! Equally thank you for recognizing the many renovation improvements, great location and our complimentary breakfast and turn-down amenities.

We are eager to host you on your next visit to Rapid City and make a 5 star review impression during your stay. Thank you for choosing the Adoba Eco Hotel during your Rapid City visit and sharing your feedback. It is valuable feedback and only through such information can we continue to improve and exceed guest expectations.

Safe travels and have a great day.
Best Regards!
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We travelled for two weeks and stayed here for two nights. It was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in on our trip. We were not expecting such a nice hotel since the price was pretty cheap. Our room was awesome, bed was better then our own at home! Room was also very clean. Breakfast was delicious. Location was very convenient especially if going to Mt Rushmore. Also had nice gym equipment. Will definitely stay here again if we get the chance.

• Stayed March 2013
VicePresidentSales1, Manager at Adoba Eco Hotel Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Amber,
Greetings from the Adoba Rapid City! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. We are so glad you enjoyed our new bedding package and the great complimentary breakfast buffet.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hosting you on a future stay.

“Travel with a Purpose and Change the World Today”
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I returned to the ADOBA ECO SUITES AND HOTEL with my family while my son was out of school for spring break. Every time i stay i am surprised at what they have accomplished. The hotel is under renovations. The newly renovated rooms are some of the nicest i have ever stayed in ,and believe me im in hotels for work more than i am home. Nicholas at the front desk was awesome, he was very professioal and a very nice personable young man. Ryen the young lady in the dining room made you feel like you were a member of her own family. Adoba management thumbs up for your choice of team members, they all made our stay more pleasant. The rooms were always clean, and the cheese cake left in our room was great, my family loved the visit. ADOBA ECO is our hotel of choice, cant wait to see upcoming properties

Room Tip: The 8th and7 floors are renovated theentire hotel should be done very soon ive been told
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Leonard,

Thank you for the thumbs up and great rating on our team members. Your review uplifted the entire team and we are so grateful for your kind words.

We appreciate you choosing the Adoba location and sharing your positive observations. We are very proud of the renovated sustainable guestrooms and very pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our new sustainable style.

We hope to see you soon on a future visit to Rapid City.

Best Regards!

Been to Adoba Eco Hotel Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore? Share your experiences!