“A new low for "Hospitality" Stay here only if you are out of options!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Lakewood, Colorado
“A new low for "Hospitality" Stay here only if you are out of options!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Because this is an Econo Lodge I have to be fair because this is a budget Hotel but this was a terrible experience. I am a "Platinum Elite" Guest at the Choice Hotel Chain and usually have pleasant stays at most of their Hotels. When I checked in I was told about two tour buses that would have 90 people on them staying overnight and I might hear the Housekeeping Staff after 8 am. I didn't think this was a problem until the next morning the Breakfast Room was packed and all I was able to get close to was a cup of coffee. I went back to my room for about 35 minutes and tried again. The room was still packed and it struck me these were mostly retirement age people and this was their vacation. Most guests would eat and leave but this was a social event for them and they weren't going anywhere. I decided to leave for breakfast but commented to the gentleman at the front desk about this. He said not to worry but they would leave about 8 am. Because I am traveling on business I couldn't wait that late and went across the street to Denny's and paid 14 dollars for runny eggs. The Hotel Employee really gave me the impression that the buses were more important than me.
I got back to my room at 5:15 that afternoon and the housekeeping had the third floor a complete mess. There were 4 ladies yelling down the halls at each other and slamming every door over and over. I asked them to stop this noise but they only tried harder to make is louder. I went to the Front Desk (twice in the same Hotel on the same day?!?!) and told a Young Lady named Sarah about this. I left to get something to eat and came back about 5:45 and the slamming doors had moved outside my room next to me and across from me. I went out again and told them to stop slamming doors and the Housekeeper got in my face about it. A heavyset girl with fake eyebrows and glasses (no name tag) actually tried to stare me down!
I called Sarah again but she said she had tried but that was all she could do. I asked for a Manager but they had all left for the weekend and she made it clear there was nothing she could do. She did suggest I fill out a comment card if I had a problem.
I wish there was something I could do as a recourse but it seems I am screwed and this Hotel will continue to operate this way and screw everyone else that doesn't like their Hotel.
What a horrible way of doing business!

Room Tip: Stay at a different Hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. We can take these reviews and learn from them. I am sincerely sorry you had a bad experience. I hope that you will give us another try if you are ever in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I just completed my stay at the Econolodge in Rapid City. Each day they had a good complementary breakfast...waffles, biscuits & sausage gravy, muffins and more. The location was very convenient for getting easily to the historical attractions we wanted to see. They had a large cleaning staff that kept the rooms clean. They had a pool with a water slide and though we didn't go into it, many people did and it seemed as if they were having a lot of fun. All of the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable. For example, we mentioned to one employee named Kevin that we had never seen a buffalo or antelope. After Kevin got off work he mentioned that he would go with us to see them and rode with us into the prarie. We saw them and then enjoyed a nice lunch together at a restaurant he recommended. We really enjoyed our stay and if we come to Rapid City again will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We appreciate that you took the time to give us a great review and look forward to seeing you again.
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at this Econo Lodge two nights during Labor Day weekend as part of a two-week trip to the Black hills and Yellowstone. This was my third visit to this hotel over the past year, and I decided a favorable review is long overdue!
This hotel was thoroughly renovated not long ago, and the property surpasses the quality of any Econo Lodge in which I have ever stayed. The rooms are beautifully furnished, there is really nice carpeting throughout, many first floor rooms have two entry doors (from the hallway and the parking lot), there is a pool and water slide, a laundry room is on the second floor, each room has a refrigerator and micro-wave, internet is free, and there is a nice area for the free breakfast, that includes waffles and a large assortment of food. The only negative on the renovation: They forgot to install a railing on the stairway to the second floor!
Management is very hospitable, and the staff consistently goes out of their way to provide top-rate service. The entire hotel is clean and well maintained. With all of this, the rates are a bit more reasonable than most of the surrounding hotels in Rapid City.
The location is excellent. This hotel is right off the I-90 freeway, Rushmore Mall is nearby, there is an incredibly good Golden Corral nearby, plus Pirate's Cove mini-golf is just down the street. This is simply a great place to stay when visiting the Black Hills region!

Room Tip: Request a first-floor room with two entry doors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very glad to hear that you have been staying with us. We are very proud of our hotel and our staff as they are the reason that guests such as yourself have a great experience. Thank you for taking the time to give us this good review.
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are awesome, very clean. The bathroom was huge, they had a fridge and microwave. The pool also looked awesome, it had a slide and hot tub. However, every time we went down there, it was filled with around 20 children. Also there were kids running around the hallways unsupervised, the walls were paper thin so we heard everything. We could even hear the bed in the room above us squeaking every time they moved around. In summary, the room is awesome but if it is busy beware of outside noise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. We do take pride in the cleanlinesss of the hotel as our staff does a fantastic job on that. I am sorry that you happened to be here when it was so noisy. One thing i could recommend is that on your next stay here we could put you on 3rd floor as it is much quieter thanks again.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The manager of this Econo Lodge obviously takes a lot of pride in this hotel. It shows in how well maintained the property is and how frequently I see staff cleaning (for example ensuring that the floors are wiped as it gets wet with people running around after swimming and vacuuming of hallway carpets). It shows that the manager cares about the property. The fact that the staff are all very cheerful and polite is also a good reflection on the manager and suggests that they are actually happy working there. Even the maintenance staff were cheerful and usually maintenance staff have a tendency of being grumpy when you ask them to fix something. The outside of the property is also very nice and in the evening the blue lights give it a nice touch.

Inside, the rooms are also very nicely done with a modern look. The beds are comfy and the linen/blankets modern looking. The shower has good pressure and good spread. The bathoom is also modern looking. The big plasma TV is not just for show as the image quality is good too with good channel selection. The lights add a relaxing ambiance. Most importantly the rooms are clean.

Location wise its very convenient to the interstate, dining options, the mall and gas stations.

What amazes me most is the price. It is almost half the price of other hotels that are considered of higher "class". Its almost like you are paying double just so you can get a full hot breakfast at the other hotels!

There are some negatives to note however. The internet was unreliable. The wireless signal was strong and when you do actually connect the speed is good but unfortunately the actual connection to the internet comes and goes. I think it is because it is not able to handle the capacity. I say this because it is only in the evenings (when most people are around) when its unreliable. During the day the internet is excellent. I think the manager should seriously consider getting another provider other then Ethostream. The check in was extremely slow and it was kind of frustrating that only one staff member was there to check people in. The toilet and air conditioning also seems to let off an unpleasant smell.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rapid City. Everything is excellent about this place but it loses a point for the unreliable internet. There is absolutely no reason that you should have to pay over $100 for the quality you can get at this hotel. Other hotels could learn a thing or two from this place!

Room Tip: As usual if you are mobile, go for top floor if you are adverse to noises from the room above and mi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We appreciate that you take time out of your schedule to write this great review. We are extremely proud of our staff and the things we have accomplished here. As for the internet we are definately getting that up and going properly. Again thank you look forward to seeing you again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The rooms have been renovated in the last year or so and were very nice. They had a good breakfast and a water slide. The price of the hotel was really great for all we got, but we were here after Labor Day so it could be cheaper than during the busy season.

• Stayed September 2013
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We want to thank you for your time to write this review. We have made a lot of changes and really appreciate the awesome review and glad you had a great stay. Look forward to seeing you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for the night (not our first choice) & were surprised to find a large, clean place a'buzz w/guests. Then my grandson saw the elaborate waterslide pool & there was no turning back. We found a clean, spacious room with two doors (bonus). Grandson loved the pool, grandma loved meeting the rest of the adults who were there for the same reason as me & we got a good night's sleep. Breakfast room was too crowded (tour busses) so we hit the road.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feed back. So glad your grandson loved the slide. I do appologize for the crowded breadfast area. We are working on a solution for that. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!