“recently remodeled, deserves better rep” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“recently remodeled, deserves better rep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed there three nights with the family while on vacation. I was a little afraid of this place after reading the poor reviews, but changed my mind after reading a newer one. I was not disappointed after staying here. I travel for work, on the road about 50% of the time, so I'm familiar with different hotels. The price was a little high for a budget hotel, but was less than other chains in the area.

The good: The whole hotel is recently remodeled and everything looks new. No dirty carpet or bedding or any of that stuff from the old reviews. Everything was clean, linens and towels were fresh. Our room had 42" flat screen, fridge, and microwave. The furniture is all new. Beds were ok (nothing is as good as home). A/C cooled the room, but did not remove the humidity, and the fan was noisy (typical of hotel units). Setting the fan to continuous operation helps. Good water pressure in the shower. We were on the top floor, so it was quiet. Ice maker always had ice. My kids really enjoyed the pool and good sized waterslide - it is as high as the third floor with lots of turns.

The bad: This is a very busy hotel in a tourist area. People cause problems. The breakfast area is overwhelmed with too many people. Families waiting to use a table are turned away by clueless old people just sitting and drinking coffee with the paper. Selection of food is small, just 2 different cereals, donuts/danish, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, juice and coffee. More items or waffle iron or toaster would not work here. They would just create disappointment when empty and clog the flow of people. The staff continuously refilled the cereal, milk, biscuits and gravy, etc. Nothing ran empty, but by the time the last item was refilled, they had to start over. We learned to grab a few things and eat back in the room. There didn't seem to be a "slow" time, even early in the morning. The pool can also be overrun with too many kids, but there is a one hour adults only swim after 10pm. The remodel job seemed to be rushed through, small details were ignored, and was already starting to show wear. Dumb people already carved grooves into the freshly painted drywall with the backs of chairs. The toilet seat was already half broken, skewed towards one side. The bathroom does not have a powered fan, only a vent hole that goes somewhere, which doesn't do anything. If you need it dark to get to sleep like I do, you will have to pull the shades and set an alarm. Leaving the curtains open lets too much parking lot light in. The outside entrances have electric locks and card readers but they were not working and were left unlocked all the time, but I always saw someone at or around the desk/lobby. I didn't ask, but I think this was being worked on. There were still some contractors around during the day and their equipment was still onsite.

In my opinion, the cleanliness/newness of the hotel trumps the annoyances. I would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: third floor rooms are the best -you won't have people stomping around above, but you will have t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Watertown, SD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Econo Lodge is a nice hotel, the rooms were nice & clean. It appears that it was receintly remodeled. However, we were very disappointed in the pool area. When we were looking for a place to stay in Rapid City, the Econo Lodge stood out because of the pool with a waterslide. We are a member of the Choice Rewards program so we typically stay a Choice Hotels when we are out of town. The pool was almost too small to have a waterslide attached to it. When we got to the pool area, there were 5 big guys going down all at once. This made huge waves in the pool and everyone bailed out. This happend repetitively for about hour. There wasn't any hotel staff watching the pool, either. The pool is right by the front desk but they were either too busy to know what was going on or didn't care. If you are not concerend about the pool, this is a decent place to stay... If you are choosing this hotel for the pool area, you may want to consider staying somewhere else.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Right off Rt 90 in Rapid City makes this a quick easy stay. Close to Cabelas which was a huge plus for me. Plenty of shopping and restaurants around. The motel itself is ok. The lobby and hallways on the first floor looked like maybe they were being redone? No baseboard trim. The pool was very crowded. If your looking for a place to take a calm private swim its not really the place. The pool is easily visible from the lobby. There is a water slide which makes the water kinda choppy...our room was nice. A double queen. Large flatscreen tv. Mic, coffee maker, and good sized bathroom. It was very clean. And the beds were comfortable. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I booked this hotel, then started to question "what the heck did I just do". We go in late at night, and it was great. I read posts that the bottom floor had not yet been renovated. We were there July 3-5 and it was renovated. New stuff and I liked it, very impressed. Now you can tell they were rushing to get it done for the 4th of July travelers because it was missing the finer details such as a toilet paper holder, towel holders, etc. THe lobby was missing the running boards, but I say it was a great job and new look for a hotel that seemed to have bad rep! No sell of smoke, new ac units and what I loved best was the pet friendly and its lower floor so we could part right at our door (front and back entrance to the rooms), made it great for our dog so he wouldnt get weirded out when going throught he lobby and past people to go potty!.
The pool and slide was a nice addition though some of the parents were lacking their control as the kids were running and jumping and going one after another ont he slide (accident just waiting to happen).
I'd say give this place a chance.... its up and coming after the renovation. Noise... I was on the first floor and slept like a baby and so did my 7 month old, 5 and 7 year olds!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The whole hotel was under renovations. Our room was already renovated and was fairly nice. The hotel was very noisy however. You can hear the pool noise all over the hotel and there is not much sound barrier between rooms and the hallway. Breakfast was crowded and choices somewhat limited.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I don't know if this is a remodeled hotel or a new one but we had a great stay anyway. The pool has a huge water slide that the kids loved. The room was spacious and clean, practically brand new. The staff was very busy but very nice and helpful. And a great price for what we got too. We left a bag of dirty clothes by accident and they found them and mailed them. The construction was a bit much, the construction workers were rude and intrusive. If I was this hotel, I wouldn't hire them again. But I imagine once they are gone, it will be a very nice place for families to stay at. The staff also recommended Minerva's for dinner and it was great too.

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had booked a non-smoking room. It smelled so hard I could barely spend the night there! The breakfast room was crowded and food disappeared fast, so we had to find someone to provide cereal and jam. The garbage bins filled fast so used cups and plates and napkins were on the floor all around. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.