“Great choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Boulder, CO
“Great choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed at the Comfort Inn during our visit to Mount Rushmore for the July 4th fireworks. The hotel staff sent me an email with our reservation particulars the day after we booked our visit. That was a first for me.

Check-in was easy and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I requested a downstairs room at check-in, but the receptionist apologized saying that they were fully booked and no other rooms were available. After we got into our room, we received a call from the front desk asking if everything was satisfactory, which it was.

The room was very clean and QUIET. With so many families in the hotel, noise was a bit of a concern. But we heard nothing other than the a/c, which was a little too loud for me. The king size bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows.

The wireless internet worked fine, although it slowed during times of high access. LOTS and LOTS of tv channels to choose from.

The shower was better than most hotels I have stayed at. Fairly good water pressure.

We did not have a microwave or mini-refrigerator in our room, which would have been nice. The other drawback for someone like me who takes too much stuff is that we did not have an elevator available. Lugging luggage up the stairs is not much fun.

The breakfast buffet was adequate, but I was looking for yogurt, which was not offered.

Over all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Lots of eating possibilities nearby and a Super Wal-Mart is right next door in case you need to pick up something.

• Liked — Clean hotel, friendly staff. Obviously well-maintained property.
  • Disliked — No elevator available, no microwave or mini-refrigerator in the room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pecatonica, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

As we finished our vacation in South Dakota our family of six spent the last night here to have quick access to the airport. (Its about a ten minute simple drive away.

The family suite was perfect. Two queen beds that must have been new. Very comfortable, clean and the best of our vacation. Two t.v.'s. One for the kids in another room and one in the bedroom. A nice sleeper sofa, fridge and microwave. For the price it puts other hotels to shame.
Very friendly staff. Knowledgeable and helpful. A family restaurant just footsteps away. Close to gas stations and other restaurants. The pool is not to big but the kids loved it. The pool area is very clean. For the price and size of the room it makes me wonder why all hotels can't be like this one. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The room seemed like it was new and unused
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Canuk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

Off the internet, picked this hotel and can't say enough good things about it. Close to I-90 and reception desk (Barb) was efficient/helpful in giving us the info about this lodging.
She also recommended Minervas restaurant @ the Best Western (about a 3 minute drive) and the food, service and ambience was first class.
If you're ever in Rapid City, you can't miss with these two choices!!!!

Stayed June 2007
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

After reading the reviews posted at tripadvisor, I chose this hotel for our trip to see Mt. Rushmore etc. I would agree with others that the hotel was nicely maintained and that the service was very good. We were lucky to get one of the few rooms that had an outside and inside entrance. I miss that in the newer hotels. If you get there early enough, ask for that.

The beds were pretty comfortable, the internet access which is wireless worked well. The pool was spacious but not as warm as I like (kids didn't seem to mind and the hot tub was very warm.) The breakfast was tended by two people who were very friendly and attentive.

All in all a nice place to stay while in Rapid City.

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Pool a bit chilly
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

I chose this hotel, in part, due to the reviews posted on Tripadvisor.com and I wasn't disappointed. I've stayed at many Comfort Inn's over the years, but this one was different.

1. Clean - I'm not sure how old this hotel is, but it is well-maintained and the upkeep is noticeable throughout.
2. Comfortable - The bedding was very clean and comfortable, including the pillows.
3. Friendly staff - I can't remember a more friendly staff at any hotel I've ever stayed at. The front desk always had 2 or 3 staff members available at all times. Very friendly and willing to help with anything.
4. Breakfast buffet - Better than most...the selection was good and the food was fresh. Even the coffee tasted good. There were 2 staff members maintaining the food and eating areas at all times.
5. Business center - nothing fancy, but a nice quiet room with 2 computers and a printer available. Internet access was fast. This was nice to have.
6. Location - you have a lot to choose from in this location. There is a Wal-mart and several restaurants within walking distance. There is a miniature golf adjacent to the hotel. And, there is a mall and numerous other restaurants to choose from within a mile.

This hotel seemed to be extremely well run from top to bottom and that is the difference. There are lots of other choices in the area, but you can't go wrong with this Comfort Inn. I strongly recommend it for anyone, but especially families that are visiting the area to sightsee. We wanted a location near the airport, as well, and this hotel is fairly close.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

We stayed 1 night at this hotel while visiting Mt. Rushmore area. It was clean and comfortable, with a good breakfast. I liked that there was a Super Walmart, & Golden Corral restaurant in walking distance. Would stay there again

• Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pierre, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed at this hotel during some basketball finals and I was surprised on how quiet the hotel was. There was kids everywhere but we slept like babies! I liked that their breakfast had real waffles and the bisquits and gravy was a nice break from donuts and coffee at most other places. We do all our shopping and take weekend vacations to Rapid and we won't stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Breakfast, clean rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn I-90? Share your experiences!