“Breakfast was a joke” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Breakfast was a joke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Booked this hotel through hotwire. After we booked it, I found out about the water park. That should have been disclosed before booking. Then when we arrived they tried to bill me an extra $7.95/day to use the restaurant and water park (on top of the water park fees). I declined but we'll wait to see if they charged my credit card for that. There was mold in the ceiling in the bathroom. Our refrigerator didn't work so we had to fill the ice bucket and stick it in the fridge to keep things cold. People above us were extremely noisy. We called the front desk three times (mind you it was after midnight!). The breakfast was a joke. Hard boiled eggs, 3 choices of cereal with no milk. A few muffins/toast and a waffle maker (there was a huge line for this). Most of the girls at the front desk were nice. I don't think I'll ever stay at a La Quinta again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
LAQUINTA-GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Good Afternoon,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at our property. I would first like to apologize that it fell below your expectations.
When you book through hotwire there is a note on their page that the pool is a separate fee, I do apologize that this was not properly expressed to you before booking the hotel. The resort fee that was shown to you at check in is a fee that we assess along with our rate and taxes. Along with this fee we offer a great deal of discounts to our restaurant, the water park, and several other amenities through out our properties.
As far as the refrigerator not working properly in your room, I would like to apologize. We address these concerns as soon as they are brought to our attention. I understand that a non working refrigerator is of no use to our guests, and we have a maintenance guy on call just for instances such as these so they can be taken care of as soon as possible.
We carry a large variety of cereals, fruits, yogurts, breads, and also waffles. These are all items of our Bright Side Continental breakfast. We do only provide a continental breakfast though. I do apologize if this was not what you were exepecting.
Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at our property.

Kayti Ratigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Grand Junction, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed two nights at this property. The good parts were the location, it is located a short distance from Sam's Club, Target and other major stores and restaurants. The bad is that the building is attached to a year round water park and full of young children. The first night our sleep was interrupted at least 4 times during the night by kids jumping up and down in the room above ours. Calls were made to the front desk and that worked for a few minutes but then the noise started back up. We finally called up to the room ourselves and that seemed to calm things down for about an hour. The second night wasn't as bad but still you have lots of noise from the room above you, floors are very thin.The ugly is a toss up between the internet connections and the food and service offered at the morning breakfast. Food items are very basic and they kept running out of items and the lady stocking the area was a bit rude when asked about filling empty trays. The internet connection was absolutely terrible. I ended up having to use an ethernet cable I doubt that I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my first experience with a La Qunita hotel and while I can't say it was terrible I can't say that it would make me go out of my way to stay at another property.

Location is super convenient - right off the highway if you are just passing through - and only about 20 minutes to Mt. Rushmore. One exit further west is lots of big name shops if you are needing something for your trip.

Water park is nice for being in the middle of nowhere SD and is an extra charge in addition to the room rate.

Restaurant food is bearable - kids eat free thing is a gimmick to drive up the ticket price.

LQ breakfast like most hotels leaves you wishing you were staying at an Embassy Suites.

Check in was fast, staff was helpful no major complaints about the staff.

Stayed in a "suite" - a standard room with a quarter wall and couch instead of a second bed. If you were thinking about a suite for any other reason besides a king bed stick with the two doubles.

This hotel was just simply right in the middle with nothing outstanding and the worst part being that sleeping on those beds left me reminiscing of the $49 Days Inn from the night before in Wall, SD.

Room Tip: Unless you really want a king bed stick with the two doubles far from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Belle Fourche, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Called to get reservation. Upon arrival we checked in and took the kids to the pool. That is when we were informed the pool was extra. (they did not inform or explain on the on the phone that the pool was a seperate entity) So we paid $300 for a little crapy room & had to fork another $65 more to let kids swim. (how do you tell 3 kids sorry you cant swim after they see the big water park, nice touch) On our way to the pool we noticed electrical outlets with no plates on them sheetrock paper peeling, holes in walls and the filthy dirty doors with hand prints everywhere not just the entance doorway but each individual room door had some form of filth on them. (See pictures) oh yeah lets not forget the duct tape holding the carpet down in the hallway where everyone walks. So are we paying 300 for one night for cleaning fees or dog fees? It wasn't for the pool. Checkout is at noon, but the cleaning ladies were already pounding on the doors at 7a. Did we mention the paper thin walls? When we checked out (at 9:45a - reason for checking out early - breakfast was being cleared at 9:25a so no coffee was available unless you went out to the sitrting area. By then we were a little tiffed) when we noticed all the other fees included in the bill. For instance a RESORT FEE? Shouldn't that have paid for the pool then? But the pool is a seperate enetitiy as everyone was telling us. MMMMMMMM I am positive I am not returning to this company again!!!!

PS - If you heave read the previous reviews you will note this is an on going situation.
PSS I am a local from Belle Fourche - If you are a tourist - I suggest you read all the reviews and brace yourself if you still plan on staying with this hotel/company

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
LAQUINTA-GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Good Afternoon, I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience here at our hotel. We do value your opinions, and we place a high emphasize on our guest's experiences here and try our hardest to ensure that every one has an enjoyable stay here.
We are currently in the phase of a full renovation. We are in the process of applying blue acoustical wall paper in all of our corridors, which is the reason why there are what appears to be half finished walls throughout the hotel. The outlet plates were removed so that the wall paper could be applied, these are all back in place now. We are also replacing all of the carpet through out the entire hotel, the duct tape on the doorways was holding the carpet down until the seams were completed.
I do want to apologize that the looks of the hotel during your stay were not up to par, we do try our best to have a nice clean hotel for all of our guests to experience.
We will be finishing up our renovation soon, I would like to welcome you back to see all of the changes in our hotel and give us another chance to show you what we feel every guest should experience.

Kayti Bostnar
Great Falls, Montana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This hotel was by far the best La Quinta I've stayed in. It's centrally located in Rapid City. It's only 25 minutes from Mount Rushmore. There's a restaurant attached and a water park! The hotel itself looks great. The rooms were spacious and had a great view of the city. They are renovating right now so it does look a little rough but I had no problem sleeping at night. The only "problem" I had was the girl that checked me in. She was really flustered and was not very friendly with me. However the staff in the morning were great. I had two pets with me and everything went very smoothly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a one bedroom suite. While sitting on the couch I felt something on the back of my neck. It was a tick. When I phoned the front desk she said sorry but we are in the black hills region and bugs are around. I then looked under the sheets only to find bed bugs. When a manager called me the next afternoon she wouldn't credit me my stay but gave me $30 back. Yippee.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Too many uncontrolled kids running up and down halls. Breakfast well below lq standards.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City? Share your experiences!