“Show is good, food is average” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enjoy a bite of the old west with our hearty western meal of buffalo stew, chicken & dumplings or vegetable stews, (hot dogs for the youngins) along with fresh creamy coleslaw, golden rustic cornbread and wojapi, a Native American-inspired blackberry pudding. After dinner, 5 professional musicians will entertain you with a lively mix of cowboy, country and bluegrass music that will entertain the whole family. Yes, we are a bit rustic in the old barn, but you won't want to miss this stop in the Black Hills.
rapid city, sd
“Show is good, food is average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Well, this is one of those touristy places where you get a show and a dinner. Its not bad, and if you are spending the day in Rapid and hanging out at Reptile Gardens that afternoon, this place is right next door and would be a quick, convenient place to have a 'chuckwagon' dinner. Just be aware that you wont be going on a wagon ride or anything like that, this is strictly dinner and a show.

Florida
“Terrible Food, Good Entertainment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I knew I was in for trouble when our tour guide said "Remember what you're really paying for is the entertainment!! " This was probably the worst food I have ever had. There were 3 entrees offered. The Buffalo Stew had "Mystery Meat" instead of buffalo, and the pieces of meat were hard to find. There was so much thickener that you probably could have stood your spoon up on end in it. The Veggie stew was the same thing but without the "Mystery Meat" and every bit as bad. The chicken and dumpling was mostly thickener with an occasional dumpling and some folks had not 1 piece of chicken! You could have played hockey with the corn bread. It was beyond dry!! The dessert/pudding was not good or bad. It didn't have much flavor at all. I should have taken the hot dog they offered as an additional entree. The food was truly awful!! Dress down for the evening because the floor looked like sawdust but got everything filthy if you dropped your jacket/sweater on the floor. Don't wear your good clothes!! The entertainment was very good and they gave away a free book to everyone because they were promoting literacy. It was really a "take one/leave one" situation but since we were on tour they waived the leave one requirement. The music saved the evening. The group was wonderful. My advice to you, take the hot dog and enjoy the music!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“worst ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The food was absolutely unedible.. It was served in huge pans and looked like slop. Seriously!! Nobody could eat. The raspberry pudding was pure gelatin with flavor . When a 2 year old rejects a hot dog you know it's pretty bad. What a rip off. totally overpriced. The entertainment was okay. The building had a few fans and it was beastly hot in there. Never never again.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“TERRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Would not recommend this chuckwagon supper to try, there is another down the road try that one anything would be better then this one!! We should have known when we tried to make a reservation and just got a message that didn't even say you had reached the Flying T. There happened to be the owner outside her house and she told us she would take our reservation but when we showed up our reservation was not there, UNLUCKY for us there was still a table. It was a super hot day and you are in a dirt floor barn that was sooo hot can't even imagine how hot it would be in there if it was at full capacity. The food left something to be desired, the chicken stew and coleslaw was alright compared to the stale cornbread and the so called blackberry pudding which was more like a blackberry soup because it didn't set and it tasted HORRIBLE reminded me of cough medicine. The guys that did the entertainment were good but more geared for the older crowd (65-80 year olds) or people who like the REALLY old country. Being in my late 30's it was OK for the first 1/2 hour but after that I just kept hoping it would end soon. The table in front of us had kids in their teens and one kid actually put his head on the table and went to sleep. Would not recommend going to this nor would we ever go back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Si I, Manager at Flying T Chuckwagon Supper, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
I have written a personal message to both the July 15th and July 26th reviews apologizing that they did not enjoy their time with us. I only wish that people would tell us to our faces if they are dissatisfied, as only then we can try to amend the situation. Behind the internet, I'm at a loss.

We try very hard to set ourselves apart with a different menu than the other Chuckwagons in the area. Yes, it's stew, which looks like stew. But everything is fresh cooked every day and made with quality ingredients and seasonings. The entire staff enjoys dinner every night, which is our best quality control, so we would know if something was seriously wrong.

The show itself can stand alone, as the quality of the performance is nothing less than professional and fantastic. It's older cowboy music, yes. It's not your modern electrified Top 40 Country. But the quality is superb, and I will stand behind my boys 100%. Every night I see people of all ages clapping and tapping their toes, whether they recognize these old favorites or not.

As for the heat, yes, it sucks. Try sitting here from 3:30 or earlier on.
Yes, we're rustic. My dream for this property is to make more modern upgrades, but right now as I gather the funds for that, we're rustic.
And I understand no one is really comfortable when it's 100 degrees. And, it makes people grumpy and lethargic and unfortunately lessens the appetite. That doesn't mean my food was bad, though.

Sometimes things go amiss, and yes, I might have forgotten to write a down a reservation, but we pride ourselves on quality customer service and try to make everyone feel welcome and taken care of.

Please folks, if you're not happy with something, wherever you are, tell someone immediately so someone in charge can help. It breaks my heart that these reviews might have been avoided if someone had come said these things to us those nights.

Sincerely, Si Issler
Manager
Flying T
nashville, tn
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Food was OK. Tables were uncomfortable to set at but then what do you expect from a Chuck wagon dinner. Entertainment was pretty good. Good location close to Mt. Rushmore.

• Visited August 2011