“Great value and excellent location for exploring the Black Hills” 5 of 5 stars

Big Sky Lodge
4080 Tower Rd, Rapid City, SD 57701   |
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Nashville, TN
“Great value and excellent location for exploring the Black Hills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We chose this motel based on the excellent reviews here on Trip Advisor and because the words "clean" and "very clean" appear in nearly all reviews. I have to admit I was skeptical because of the low rate (we traveled in early November, 2012, and the rate seemed low, even for off season), but Big Sky Lodge exceeded my expectations. Granted, it looks like a 1950's motel and the rooms are dated, but I knew this place was not your ordinary budget motel when I walked into the room and saw the homey, colorful, hand-stitched quilt on the bed.

Liked the location on the hilltop, away from the main highway, so was quiet at night. Spectacular view of the Rapid City lights at night and sunrise in the morning (we were there the weekend the time changed, but the sunrise would be worth experiencing even without the extra hour of sleep). Also liked that our car was parked right outside our door.

Great service, too. The light outside our door was out, and Jay (the owner) was there immediately to fix it. Security latch didn't work....fixed. Refrigerator not cooling.....replaced the next day while we were out exploring. Requested more coffee packs for the morning.....delivered in 5 minutes.

Two caveats. We didn't realize that breakfast is not included in the off season, but I can't really complain about that because of the low rate. And there are numerous breakfast options just a short ride away. Don't know if it is true of the shower heads in all the rooms, but in our two rooms, they were positioned very low, and I don't think they could be adjusted. Not a problem for a short person like me, but my son said it was a bit awkward for him. Just a minor inconvenience, given that the water was hot and the pressure was fine.

Can't end this review without confirming what other reviewers have said....this place is CLEAN, comfortable, and ideally located for visiting Mt. Rushmore and exploring the Black Hills. Would highly recommend Big Sky Lodge as a great budget option (keep in mind that it's not the Hilton, but you're not paying Hilton prices) and would stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

The room? Very clean. The price? Unbelievable rate I got during the low peak season. The bed is comfy and pillows are of the right firmness and softness. Awesome stay through and through. I will return if I ever visit Mount Rushmore again.

The bathroom is great, hot water, adequate room. Except that the bathroom door was a bit wonky and couldn't lock but that shouldn't bother most people who don't normally check into one hotel room with a stranger.

The service is adequate. Free wifi. Great view from a hill top that overlooks a twinkling Rapid City at night. Very pretty.

Microwave, coffee maker, fridge, and closet are provided.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very clean , professional staff and owners. Great view on east side. Nice hot tub and picnic area. Guest laundry , maps and travel information in the office . Comfortable beds and pillows. Refer, micro, and coffee maker in each room . Park at your door . Close to town , restaurants and attractions ie . Mount Rushmore , Wind Cave , Jewel Cave , Devils Tower and more . My friends and I really liked this place and we will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
Collierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The owners Jay and Alicia, were extremely hospitable....This place was everything that we were hoping for and more.....
I swear....This place is a gem....!
Our whole week at big sky lodge was nothing short of perfect.
Each morning the breakfast with the hostess Elaine was very nice.
The views of the area from the grounds is awsome.
I could go on and on about this place.....
Do yourself a favor and Stay here when in the area. You will be glad you did......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Big Sky Lodge is a hidden gem in Rapid City.

I went on-line to find a motel in the Mount Rushmore area and found excellent reviews for this low price, family owned (Jay & Alicia Culbertson) motel.

When I tried to book the Big Sky Lodge for three days in November 2012, the booking site (not sure if it was Hotel.com or a similar site) said that there were no rooms available for my selected dates. I decided to call the Big Sky Lodge, Jay the owner said he had rooms available. When I checked in, I was one of three or four people staying here in the off-season.

My room is not deluxe, but is very clean with two queen size beds, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, free internet service, a CRT television, and very nice people (not in my room). They have free breakfast during the normal season, but not during the off season. A small price to pay for this $40 per night gem.

I am glad that I called, rather than just booking another motel on the internet.

Room Tip: I stayed on the east side (view side), either side is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Barnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This place is great. Nice clean rooms. Nate at the desk was very friendly. Beautiful views of the city from this Motel. One of the nicest budget Motels I have seen. Price was very reasonable. I will stay here vereytime I am in Rapid City area.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the Motel. Beautiful views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Big Sky Lodge for four nights in October. The motel was spotlessly clean and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The motel sits high on a hill with an outstanding view of Rapid City. The high speed Internet was fast and connected easily. There is so much to do in the Rapid City area, I would definitely recommend a trip there!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Big Sky Lodge? Share your experiences!