“Excellent hotel but needs work on bathroom accessibility” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Marshall, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent hotel but needs work on bathroom accessibility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cambria Suites Christmas Eve, Christmas and the night after Christmas. The reviews of the hotel did not disappoint. What a pleasure it was to open the door into our room to find a huge, modern and very clean suite! My wife is in a power wheelchair, so the spacious suite allowed her to be comfortable away from home. The only frustrating element to the room was the bathroom. The bathroom was very spacious and modern; however, the grab bars did not work well for my wife (she's in her 30s - so she has very good strength) at all, and there was very little counterspace near the sink which required my wife to place stuff on her lap while she got ready. The grab bars with a very shiny, silver look to them were definitely appealing to the eye near the toilet and in and around the shower; however, they were very slippery to my wife. Plus, once there was steam in the room from the shower, it added condensation to the already slippery grab bars. I'm sure the grab bars are ADA compliant; however, my wife lost her independence in the bathroom as I needed to assist her from transferring to and from her wheelchair to the toilet. Ideally, it would be nice if the hotel would replace the grab bars with ones with a rough finish to add grip; otherwise, it would be nice if the hotel would roughen the shiny finish to add better grip. The current grab bars did not provide my wife with a strong sense of safety nor did they allow her to have independence in the bathroom. The grab bars were our primary frustration with our stay. We had 3 minor frustrations. Prior to our stay, I called the hotel in advance to verify if a coupon would allow us a more affordable stay versus the special rate that we booked the room with in advance; unfortunately, I did not feel like the clerk went out of her way to verify a better deal as she did not provide the individual prices with a coupon versus special rate but simply told us that our current rate was better - I felt like she guessed instead of taking the time to verify. I would have preferred if she would have spent the time over the phone with me to explain the price differences. Next, we reserved our room for 2 nights but at the last minute decided to stay 3 nights. The clerk was very friendly and quick with adding a 3rd night as we left for the day, but when we returned that night our room key cards did not work. If we needed to have our room key cards re-activitated for the 3rd night, it would have been nice if the clerk would have done this immediately that morning as that night I had to walk from our room all the way back to the front desk to have them activated again. These 2 frustrations were minor ones, but they could have been avoided by the clerks spending just a few extra minutes with us. Our 3rd minor frustration was with housekeeping near the time we needed to check out. Checkout is at 11:00, but housekeeping knocked on our door twice probably between 10:30-10:45. We checked out on schedule with no knocking needed, but the knocking definitely made us felt rushed to leave. Overall though, my wife and I greatly enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel to other future guests. However, grab bars are such an important safety feature in bathrooms not only for people with special needs but also for elderly people who need them for assistance. If we stay at this hotel again, my wife and I will first discuss the grab bars in advance as I want to ensure that my wife is safe.

Room Tip: I grew up in the Black Hills, so I have definitely seen the transformation on the side of town where...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We truly apologize for your experience, we have looked into your issue but unfortunately adding anything to increase grip to the stainless steel bars creates a completely different issue in regards to cleanliness. When the hotel was designed, the designers added additional bars to the accessible rooms to make it as convenient as possible. I'm not sure why the bars were any more difficult than any other bar as they are the standard stainless steel bars found in hotel guest rooms. I have made some inquiries as to how we can try to correct this, but as of yet I have not heard any solutions. In regards to the coupon, I'm slightly confused as to this point, as currently we do not have any active coupons on the market. At one point we had one in the AAA tourbook, but that was for 2012. I have spoken to the desk staff and asked them to be more specific, and make sure they dig deeper when confronted with questions. We do hope you will give us another opportunity, and we will see if we can come up with a work around for your wife.

Sam Cannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We decided to give this hotel a try on our trip through South Dakota and were so glad we did. The front desk staff, the room, the bed, the pool, the happy hour and the Bison burger were first class. There isn't a complimentary breakfast. We'll be back next time.

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for giving us a try, we are glad you did! The bison burger is my personal favorite, and we get our bison meat locally to make sure it is as fresh as we can get it. We look forward to your next visit.

Sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. Very modern and clean. The rooms are very elegant. The staff that we met were very friendly and courteous. Thank you Jenna at the front desk for making us feel welcome. The restaurant was wonderful. Thanks also to the restaurant staff, Erin, Brandon and Tyrell for an excellent meal and great service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Our staff always enjoys it when they make enough of an impact to get mentioned in a review. The restaurant staff particularly enjoys it, as they are always looking for ways to WOW the guests. It was our pleasure to make sure you were given an excellent meal and service, as well as to make you feel welcome. We hope you will come back and stay with us again, and give us another opportunity to demonstrate how welcome you truly are!

Kimball, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The rooms were very nice and the bed was very comfortable, the personnel were friendly and really helpful. The restaurant had good food and service. My room was really quiet. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and plan to stay there again when I'm in Rapid city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We do our very best to make sure all of our guests share your quiet & comfortable experience. We hope you will come back and stay with us again.

South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have stayed here two times and our son once. We thought it was a very nice motel. They were very friendly and helpful. The beds are very comfy and the rooms are nice. There is not a breakfast with the room, but they have a restaurant in the hotel with
a good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed December 2013
We truly appreciate that you chose us to fulfill your accomodation needs, and it is even more appreciated that you returned and had a family member stay as well. Thank you so much for your business, and we can't wait until your next visit.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed for two nights in the comfort of a grand hotel with marvelous spacious, clean delightful rooms. The service was excellent and Dennis Orr topped the charts when he came to my rescue and took his personal time to locate and purchase me a replacement for my dead camera charger. I commend all the staff at the hotel for making my stay the best of the best. Dennis Orr was my hero, saving me from despair. He is the ultimate example of dedication to his job and seeing that all our needs are met. He should be named the Employee of the Year.
The hotel shuttle to town made the visit that much more enjoyable. Thanks goes to the cheerful accommodating staff that goes the extra mile for their guest!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for staying with us, and taking the time to write a review. Dennis was extremely happy that you remembered him, and that he helped make your stay a positive one. We will alaways do our best to go the extra mile for our guests, and we hope you can return and stay with us again.

Gillette, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very nice hotel. The room was spacious,clean and so comfy. There is a sitting room which has a desk, microwave,coffeepot,refridge,chair, couch,coffee table and flat screen t.v. which was very nice to sit and relax before bedtime. In the bedroom was another t.v. and 2 very comfortable beds!The bathroom was gorgeous with plenty of water pressure and hot water.This hotel is right next to Cabellas and close to all the new shopping and restaurants. The staff were friendly and glad we were there. Will be back next time we stay in Rapid!! Loved this hotel and highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to say such nice things about us. You are correct, the staff is always glad you are here. It is always a pleasure to be able to be of service, and to make sure our guests have a wonderful experience. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Warmest Regards,

Sam Cannon

Been to Cambria Suites Rapid City? Share your experiences!