“Cannot be beaten.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 52 hotels in Rapid City
Chicago, Illinois
“Cannot be beaten.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Cambria Suites are new and have spacious, quiet, warm and very well appointed rooms. I have lived in smaller apartments.
The pool and spa-pool were exactly what was needed after a full day exploring the gold mine of activities in the Black Hills region. The staff were excellent. The food was good too, and ridiculously well priced for a hotel. All in all, the nicest hotel we have stayed in so far in our 1+ month road trip.
Just around the corner from the Black Hills visitor center and within a short drive to all dining options. Very convenient for getting to the Interstate and the local attractions.

Room Tip: I can't see any rooms being bad. We were right by the lifts and it was still quiet. Far enough f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments, and we agree wholeheartedly that our guest suites are spacious and well appointed. We are so pleased to be the nicest hotel thus far during your month+ road trip, and we will always strive to be the highlight to all of our guest's trips. Please come back and stay with us again, the next time you are in the vicinity. We look forward to providing you with our hospitality.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Mitchell, SD USQA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent the weekend in the Black Hills and chose this hotel because of it's location and off-season rate. Plenty of room. Loved the suite with separate living room area. Nice pool area, nice exercise area and lobby area. The buffet was ok but a little pricey for a breakfast buffet. Not sure what the rates will be during the summer but hope it's affordable!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking a few moments to give us your feedback, and thank you for the 5 outta 5 score! We will always try to provide an excellent value, and a fair accommodating rate for our guests, and although we know our rates will be substantially higher in season, we are sure our guests will still find us to be the best product with the greatest value in Rapid City. We apologize if our breakfast appears to not be a significant value, but we do offer an a la cart option off of the menu. Also, we consider our breakfast to be of an extremely high quality, as we prepare the items much the same as they would be prepared in your own home. We chop our fruit and omelet station toppings in house instead of buying them pre-chopped and packaged. We make all of the options fresh, and we are always willing to substitute an option in the event our guests would rather have a waffle instead of french toast, or a fried egg instead of scrambled. Our made to order omelet station always offers our guests quite a few options, and if a guest would rather have an egg white omelet instead of one made with the entirety of the egg we are happy to oblige. We hope that you come back and take advantage of our hospitality, and that we get an opportunity to prove the value of our restaurant, as well as our suites.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We selected the hotel based on the ratings on trip advisor and it was an excellent choice. Actually it may be the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in while on a road trip. It is new, clean, nice room, cool decor and friendly staff at the front desk and bar/restaurant. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review for our property. It is always a pleasure to know that our efforts have made a difference. We cannot wait to have you come back and stay with us again, and we promise to strive to always exceed your expectations.
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I chose this hotel since it was new and the family (wife, 5 & 2 yr old) were leaving the area due to a mandatory military move. I arrived in a U-Haul truck to parking lot under construction and dealt with it on my own. After traversing through the construction site (with the help of some very helpful blue collar types) I parked in the only location available. Once inside I asked if I could place an orange cone in front of the truck so that nobody would park in front of my truck, enter worst customer service ever. I was confronted by Cambria employee Jen (the white collar hotel front desk type) and was immediately informed I must move my truck due to the fact that the hotel has 111 parking spots representing 111 of their hotel rooms. I informed her that due to the type of vehicle trailer being pulled behind my U-Haul that I could not back up and how I had already interrupted construction operations just to get to my current position. She quickly pointed out that the construction is not on their lot and therefore not her problem (despite me, the customer explaining to her the situation and looking for help to resolve the issue). An option called the trailer/truck parking spot was quickly pointed out despite her ability to understand me the first time when I told her I cannot back up (the parking lot/road into the hotel is basically a one way street). Fed up with this back and forth BS I decided to look for another hotel nearby, and after 45 minutes of searching I presented this idea to the front desk. This must have been a first for the hotel crew since it took another 10 minutes to “ask the manager”. Hotel font desk rep Jen returned to the all knowing computer and exclaimed “that should be alright”. Awesome, I’m thinking, now we can both go our own way and I can be gone with this fiasco. “You’re OK there”, says Jen, “we’re not even full tonight, you can leave the truck there”… A speechless look fell over my face and since my wife tells me to think before I speak, I simply walked away holding in my frustrations. Customer service is a key component to a positive experience in almost every activity people find themselves in, and because of this I would not stay here again. One more thing, the $10 breakfast “buffet” doesn’t come close to any two-star hotels free continental breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Heltne,

Our most sincere apologies for your experience. We want you to have a great experience, so you will return. I have taken the liberty to refund your entire stay with us, and I would like to take a few moments to try to clarify our position and explain how we plan to improve. First, I apologize that you felt our parking lot was under construction, but actually the construction site your drove through was not part of this hotel's property. I'm truly glad the construction team was accommodating. You turned into the driveway before our property, and that I believe is what created the confusion. We actually have quite a bit of parking (that you unfortunately circumnavigated) that will accommodate a u-haul, as well as the street coming into our property is privately owned and has accommodated several semi trailers at once, in the past. I apologize for Jenn's attempt, but failure, to communicate the issue to you in a way that would have made you more comfortable. Unfortunately, we come across a situation from time to time where we create a negative guest experience in the effort to prevent a negative guest experience. Our orange cones are used to keep our shuttle space free of guest's vehicles, as the space the shuttle uses is inappropriate for normal parking. In addition, we try to keep the larger, multi-space vehicles in the rear of the building, thus allowing for more space in the front for guests. In this particular instance we had a city wide event going on (Lakota Nation Invitational Basketball tournament) and we expected to fill our hotel, so Jenn was merely trying to keep the front of the building available and prevent future negative impact. I have spoken with Jenn, and we will continue to look for more positive ways to interact with our guests, in order to avoid issues like you experienced. We did have several guests complain, and one of our other guests insisted that we have your vehicle moved, but as I'm sure you already know we never approached you in regards to this.
On another note, I would also like to point out our breakfast, as many guests make assumptions regarding it before they truly look at what is offered in our breakfast buffet. We are truly very far away from the free continental buffets boasted by many hotels. Nothing we offer is packaged, frozen, heated up and served as a "hot item". All of our items are prepared on site, and are freshly prepared. We make cooked to order omelets, and although we serve scrambled eggs, if you prefer them another way you are more than welcome to order them that way. We offer both sausage and bacon, 2 types of fresh cut fruit, multiple bread options, yogurt, oatmeal, cereals, several types of juice and milk, Wolfgang Puck ® coffee, hash browns, waffles, pancakes, french toast, and more. We understand how this may appear to be another "continental buffet," but the reality is that we are very far from that, and we offer a la cart items off our menu in addition to the buffet. Again, we apologize for your experience, and we realize that your perception is what counts (being the son of a retired Brigadier General and former military myself I personally understand the stress of military relocation), we would like to invite you back to give us another opportunity. I'm sure you will see that our service is more indicative of the many other positive reviews, and not indicative of your experience.

Warmest Regards,

Robins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed here mid December on our way back from Montana. We wanted something close to I-90 and also wanted to be close to Cabela's to take advantage of the early bird sales. What a perfect location, Cabela's was literally just down the street. Our room (King bed, 1 room suite) was wonderful - very clean, spacious, beds & pillows were sooo comfortable, quiet, bathroom was beautiful, nice mini-fridge, microwave, sofa-bed, 2 flat screen tvs, good wifi connection, also the rate was so very affordable. We went down to the bar/restaurant for drinks and supper. We really enjoyed the staff, they were very friendly and made us feel right at home. Our dinner was excellent (thanks Joy!) and we had great service from our bar/wait staff (thanks to the other Joy!). The next morning we had the breakfast buffet which had a wide variety and was also delicious. I wish we would have had time to try out the hot tub and pool, hopefully next time we come through the area. I can't say enough about how attentive and friendly the staff and management are at this hotel, definitely 1st class! We picked this hotel based on the Tripadvisor ratings it had and we weren't disappointed. I highly recommend this hotel and I know this will be where we will stay whenever we travel through Rapid City! Thank you for maintaining such a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, and to say such nice things about the property and staff. I'm so glad you chose to stay with us on your way back to Montana. I will definately share your comments with the staff, and especially both of the Joys in the restaurant. They will be so pleased. Your experience is the reward we get for our efforts. Thank you for choosing the Cambria Suites.

Warmest Regards,

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at the Rapid City Cambria Suites recently and found it to be very accommodating to the business traveller with a quick check in, great food, comfortable room working environment,
fast internet and convenient, courteous airport shuttle service. I would defintely stay there again.

Gene from Toronto, Canada

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your glowing review Gene. We promise that we will always strive to improve, so that each visit we offer something even nicer. We look forward to your return, and thank you for being our guest.

Hermosa, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from Oct 4th to Dec 13th while waiting for our new home to be completed, having moved here from ND. Some of the time here was spent alone while hubby went back to ND to work, I also have a health issue that required frequent medical appointments . So you can guess that I expected to be very lonely, uncomfortable and very sad.......The experience was FAR FROM THAT!! The staff here at the Cambria went above and beyond what I would consider to be their jobs. They were attentive, kind, caring, loving and very much accomodating, taking time out of their busy day to TALK, while maintaining their professionalism! These people are not only doing their jobs, they genuinely care about their guests.......they have become friends! They showed me compassion beyond my wildest dreams! From the front desk, to housekeeping, to maintenance, the shuttle drivers and the Bistro ------ KUDOS TO YOU ALL! I will recommend The Cambria to anyone with pride! Thank you Jasmine and all the staff.........God will richly Bless each and every one of you!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sam C, General Manager at Cambria Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
It was so wonderful to have you and your husband stay with us. Both my staff and I enjoyed having you as part of our family. We hope that you will stop in and visit from time to time, as we already miss you. All of our best to you both you and your husband, Deanne, and thank you for the excellent review.

Sam Cannon

Been to Cambria Suites Rapid City? Share your experiences!