“Good place, worth a try.” 5 of 5 stars

320 East North Street, Rapid City, SD
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Jefferson City, Missouri, United States
“Good place, worth a try.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Good place to visit. Wife and I were wanting BBQ without hitting a chain. Found this review on TripAdvisor and decided to try it out. The decor was decent, clean, matched the theme. Waitress was nice and attentive. The food was great. We had BBQ chicken sandwich and pulled pork. Sides were standard and BBQ sauce was decent. If you want good local BBQ in Rapid City, this is the place. Beware, when they run out of something, they don't thaw out a new batch. They are out. No chicken or ribs on the night we went (at 6:00, right before they close at 7:00). Lots of local people eating there.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rapid City, SD
“Real BBQ - This is the good stuff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I for one am not a fan of most chain restaurants. In my experience, it seems like chains cut corners and the end product shows this. But Jake's is the real thing. There have been days when I've gone to Jake's and they've sold out all their BBQ... and when they do, they call it a day. Slow cooked, for amazing flavor and tenderness, this is what I crave when I want BBQ. --Like many truly authentic BBQ places, BBQ is their specialty. Therefore, the side dishes are not their forte. I can't say I'm terribly excited about anything they serve on the side. Of all the BBQ varieties they serve, the pulled pork is usually all I order. The other stuff is still very good, but when I find something as good as this on a menu, I tend to get in a rut; and the pork is phenomenal! This place is not about atmosphere. But then I'd say a lot of my favorite food places focus more on the food, than on the decor. So that being said, if you're in need of a restaurant with pretty presentation or pretty decor, this is not your place. But if you want incredible BBQ, give Jake's a try. I can just about guarantee, you'll soon become a big fan. (Oh, price is very reasonable...and the portions are huge!)

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, United States
“Hands down best BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Amazing BBQ, good price and great portions. Hands down best BBQ in Rapid City.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Very good Barbecue... In Rapid?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

I am not going to say much... I never write reviews for any place that is anything but absolutely incredible but I was extremely impressed with there que!
I did not have a large enough stomach to finish everything. But damn it I tried and I am now eating 24 hours later for the first time and I am only having a salad. Tender, fall off the bone, moist, sweet, tangy.. Just about everything I love about BBQ. The only thing that I personally was not over the top with was the amount of smoke. I would love to see what they could do with a whole pig. Good work people!

Springer out!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
RAPID CITY
“In a word ... Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

An assault on the senses from the minute you walk in the door. Decor is exactly what you would expect from a Souther style barbecue place. Beef brisket had a beautiful smoke ring and was as tender and flavorful as any I have ever had. The pulled pork had a beautiful (and delicious) crust on it and it, too, was smoked to perfection. The sides were a bit lacking but acceptable. The sauce, not my favorite, also was acceptable.

I will be back again and again - the meat is that good. This is one local business that I really hope succeeds!

• Visited January 2012