“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Madison, Wisconsin
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel two separate times on our trip "out west," a total of 3 nights, and had good experiences each time. I was surprised to read the recent reviews that said the staff was rude, because we had the exact opposite experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The two rooms we stayed in were clean, and the beds were very comfortable. We went to breakfast at 7 or 7:30 each day, the food was good, and there was no shortage of food. The pool area was great for the kids (and it was fun for us, too!) The only small issue we had was that we didn't get any washcloths in the bathroom one day. I called the front desk and had washcloths within 5 minutes. I booked this hotel 11 months before our stay and read reviews before I booked. Coming back to review it, I am surprised at some of the negative comments. We had a good experience and found it to be above average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RapCityCISMgt, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Rapid City, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you in the future if you return to the black hills.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Jordan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had booked this place 4 months ago with high expectations since we have stayed at other Country Inns in other states and been satisfied. When we checked into our room the covers looked lumpy and unmade so we pulled back the comforter and there was short black hair all over the sheet, like dog hair, and the room smelled damp. The gal at the front desk came up and handed us a key to a different room and left without staying to see how this room would be. The new room was ok but there were black permanent marks all over the carpet and the rooms really need updating. The hallway carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in days. We stayed 2 days but wish it had only been one. They charge 10 different taxes and fees that totaled $22 each night-perhaps this is normal for the motels in this area. I'm not sure we will ever stay in a Country Inn again. Breakfast was terrible-no forks, grumbling staff, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RapCityCISMgt, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Rapid City, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our propety. I would like to apologize for the issues you had during your stay. I would like to assure you that your concerns have been heard and will be addressed with our staff.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

There are so many things wrong with this property and our stay I don't know where to begin, so I'll just go in order of when the crappy happened. We stayed three nights in the middle of an 8 night road trip.

I booked months in advance and requested a crib. A week before we came I called and asked about it and was assured it was on my reservation. We arrived at 5pm, only 2 hours after checkin starts. I mentioned the crib. The front desk woman told me "If we have one it'll be sent up." We waited in our room an hour. I called and asked. I believe the same woman told me "I told you it was not guaranteed. Since you didn't get it, it means that we are probably out." I asked if she could verify that with whoever handled the cribs and let me know for sure if that was the case. She replied in a snotty tone "We are very busy at the front desk handling other people. When we have time I'll send someone to go and look through every cabinet and cupboard to see if one is hiding. And then I'll call you back." I said thank you. 20 minutes later - got the call - no crib. I asked if there was any way that we could get the first one available the next day. She assured me yes.

We couldn't let our baby (10 months) crawl around on the floor because it was stained everywhere and some of the stains were sticky so they were actually more than stained, they were dirty and chunks of grime that was never even cleaned. The couch was also stained and filthy. The crown molding from one side around the window had fallen off and was laying on the floor under the window with the little nails sticking up. The bedside table was falling apart - the top laminate could be pulled up away from the table. The same was true for the stand under the TV in the bedroom. I have posted pictures of all of these things (except the crown molding.)

The next morning we went to breakfast at 845am. It is served until 930am, so we were not there at the last minute. There was no food. It was packed and people were standing around waiting for more food to be put out. When I say no food I mean - of Eggs/Potatos/Sausage - there were only potatos. They had also run out of yogurt. They had no bananas or apples and exactly 1 orange left. We sat and waited. and waited. They refilled the non-empty potatos twice, but nothing else. After 20 minutes I went to the front desk and told the woman there "You are out of food." She came in to the crowded breakfast room and she refilled all of the coffee canisters. And then she left. No apologies to all of the waiting people and no assistance to the person *apparantly* trying to get more food out. We waited 10 more minutes and they finally brought out some sausage. We took that and muffins and left.

When we left the hotel that morning around 10am I stopped at the front desk and verified that the first available crib would be taken to our room. She told me yes, no problem.

When we got back to the hotel later that day around 3pm we walked past the front desk and I noticed there were 5 people behind the counter, standing around and chatting. NO customers in front of the counter. When we got to our room 2 minutes later - there was no crib. I called down to the front desk and was put on hold. After holding for 5 minutes I hung up and called back. I asked about the crib. They told me they would check on it and let me know. Twenty minutes later a crib showed up at our door. It had no sheet or blanket or anything. We asked for a clean sheet for it. They went and got a sheet. Then we unfolded the crib to put it together (it was a pack-n-play) and it was filthy. Stained everywhere and cigarette hole burned into it. I have a picture of the cigarette hole attached. I cleaned it using my own supplies and we finally had somewhere that our baby could play since he still couldn't play on the filthy floors.

The temperature in the room was not great, but we couldn't change it because a note on the thermastat said "please leave thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees or the system will freeze and not work." That's a pretty small window of temperature... 2 degrees. Really?

Also during our stay our toilet overflowed. From pee and a very small amount of TP. I've attached a picture. When we called down about it, they took 40 minutes to send someone up with a plunger. That's a long wait for a plunger. The guy who brought it also wiped up the overflow with towels, but did not use a cleaning product - so our bathroom floor was dry, but with pee-residual.

Also with our bathroom - we had no washclothes. Zero. Neither the first nor second day. The third day we had washclothes (2) but no hand towels. I guess it's an either or thing.

The fridge had no freezer compartment. None. Most mini-fridges have a small freezer compartment. This is probably not that big of a deal, except it meant I couldn't freeze my icepack to use to take my baby's food out with us for the day. We made due, but it would've been nice.

There was a terrible loud noise that would come from the wall in the bedroom sometimes. It wasn't from the neighbors, it was something like the radiator making a very loud groaning sound. For long extended periods of time.

There were no vending machines. The front desk sold snacks. I asked for a water on my way out the door and got a small water and they charged me $3. The gas station across the street had them for 89 cents. I think $3 is ridiculous - even the vending machines at Mt Rushmore only charged $2.

We travel alot. I'm not only a travel agent, but for CarlsonWagonlit Travel which has the same parent company, CARLSON, as Country Inn Suites. So essentially, this is a hotel that is owned by the company I work for. I love my job and think CWT is an amazing company to work for. But this hotel is a disgrace and embarassment. I used points to book these three nights so essentially the nights were "free" but really... they weren't. I used ALOT of points. If we had been paying for this room with cash *or* I could've gotten my points back we would've moved after the first night. I will never stay here again and I will never book this property for any of my travelers.

To be fair, here are the positive points of this hotel: Warm cookies at the front desk were delicious. The bathroom had an LED nightlight which was fantastic for us and a rarity in hotels. The location is right off of the freeway near tons of restaurants. The TV's are upgraded. There is a small microwave in the room.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. If you're exploring the Black Hills, try something up in the mountains...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Rapid City, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room, the lack of service of the front desk and the many issues that arose during your stay. Regardless if you are paying for your room with points or money, we know you have certain expectations when you are checking into a hotel. We will discuss the conditions of your room and the service breakdowns with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites standards and the lack of service is addressed with the agents in question. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Milford, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We traveled from Michigan with our granddaughter. We stayed 6 nights. The staff was very friendly. Our room was very comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was very good, however the breakfast room was a little tight for the amount of people that stayed there. The staff did a great job on keeping food available again for the amount of people. The location was perfect, close to all the attractions. Also convenient to restaurants. My only problem was the pool. There were too many children, with little adult supervision. There were some children, coming down the slide the wrong way or were unable to swim to the side of the pool. Apparently, the posted rules were not applicable to them. That whole thing is an accident waiting to happen. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Balgonie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was amazing!! Our hotel room was so clean, including the bathroom. I am very particular about the cleanliness in hotel rooms and this was awesome!!This hotel allows pets and we have a child with allergies The staff were excellent in making sure we were far away from pet rooms. We had no problems the six nights we stayed and you never heard animals or really saw pets at all. Our room was very quiet and with kids that was important to us. The kids loved the pool and had lots of fun. The hotel staff were very nice and accomodating. If we had any issues it was taken care of immediately. Thank you to Mareeda for being so kind. I was given a thank you card from her for my positive comments during our stay. I have never had a hotel do that before. Thank you to Felecia for always leaving our room so clean. We felt at home here while we were away from our home. We would stay here again if in the area and recommend it to everyone. It was very busy while we were there which says a lot about their hotel. Thank you for a wonderful experience. This hotel is also in a perfect location for touring around the Black Hills area. Thank you to the staff at Country Inn and Suites.

Kristine and family

Room Tip: We were on the third floor which was nice and quiet. Also if your child has pet allergies let them k...
La Tuna Canyon, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hotel was very inviting, the people were very nice, the room was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was good too. I would definitely stay there again. Location was super for our visit to Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. Also convenient to good restaurants. Nice area so felt very safe also.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nazareth, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

On our way back to Montana, we decided to stay overnight in Rapid City. I called late in the afternoon to check for availabilty and the lady on the Phone did a great job to confirm our reservation for 2 rooms.
At the hotel, we had the same pleasant experience at the front desk.
The rooms were nice and clean (one had a jacuzzi tub in the room).
Due to the busy time of the day, they gave us the wrong type of room keys (it looks like the hotel is changing all the door locks) and we had to change these at the front desk.
Breakfast was included, but we didn't use it because the line was waaaaaay to long...
Overal: good experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Rapid City? Share your experiences!