“Overpriced and food just OK” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakotah Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 203 restaurants in Rapid City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-90
Description: We"ve always believed that dining should be a social occasion, a time when friends, family, and coworkers can enjoy great conversation over a great meal. We believe in supporting our local artisans and staying connected to our Black Hills community. At a time when the area is growing and expanding, we're striving to keep the flavor of the region alive. Inspired by the history of this area, both the aesthetics of the building and the diversity of the menu are true to our local roots, something no nation-wide franchise can duplicate. Certainly, there are other steakhouses out there, but none like ours. From the first design to the actual construction, we've focused on creating a balance between upscale dining and a casual atmosphere-crafting a chic steakhouse where the kids are welcome too. The rest is easy-buy the very best meat possible and prepare it correctly.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Overpriced and food just OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had been there on a previous trip and it was much better. I would recommend going to one of the chain steak restaurants down the road for a better quality and lower price.

Visited May 2013

71% Recommend
Twin Cities
“Must have been an off night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We visited the Dakotah on a Friday night. Things started off bad when it took our server 15 minutes to show up to our table.

Prices are higher than Outback, so you expect things to be a notch better. Sadly the service was just the start.

The house salad was good, but the Clam Chowder was watery (and in fairness may be how they prefer to make it).

My ribeye was ordered medium rare and was torched, the baked potato was cold with a weird taste. My wife's salmon dish was just OK and the sides pretty bad.

I did like the interior design. Only thing to watch for is the booths. They have some kind of funky tree branch like pedestals that can get in the way.

For the cost it just wasn't worth it. I'm really surprised by the good reviews this place has received.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I were traveling between our two homes (Tucson/Longmeadow) when we decided to go see Mt Rushmore, SD. We arrived midday and went directly to see the National Treasure. It was worth the trip. We found that the area was very touristy with that type of restaurants. However, while driving, we noticed a steakhouse restaurtant with a hugh bison metal sculpture.
We were seated by a large fireplace surrounded by western art. We both ordered steak with reservation. To our surprise, this steak was delicious with asparagus wrapped in beacon. Service was topself. We found a treasure in the rough. If you are in the Rapid City area and are looking for a quality restaurtant (not for wild children) we suggest this treasure.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sioux Falls
“Great food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I ate at the Dakotah Steakhouse on Saturday, April 27th. It was not very busy so our family was surprised on how slow the service was. The food was really good. I had prime rib and my daughter had the buffalo ribs. Both tasted very good. Meals run around $25-$30 per person, unless you have sandwiches which are around $10. This restaurant is located on the East end of town off of I-90 so it's great for vacationers traveling through.

If you are typically cold, I would ask to sit near the fireplace. It was temperature was cool and I had wished I had brought a sweatshirt.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arcadia, California
“Feed The Babcocks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We arrived without a booking with a family of 6. The resturant was half full, we were seated in the back which was a bit chilly and quite far from the lovely fireplace we walked past on the way to our table. The 3 sisters soup was delicious, my Buffalo was all grizzle and the prime rib was dry. The wine list was limited, I tried something new but did not finish my glass. Overall, it was a disappointment and not good value. Our server was friendly and helpful with our elderly family members. That was good.

• Visited April 2013