“Overall, A Very Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%!
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
“Overall, A Very Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for three days in the beginning of July. The rooms were very nice and clean, and the beds were comfortable. The only issue I had was that the glasses for juice at the breakfast buffet were dirty- as in gritty on the outside because the dishwasher didn't quite get the job done. I think this is something that is easily corrected, so I wouldn't let it deter you. The rest of the dishes and cutlery were clean. Otherwise, the hotel was great and the buffet was very good. The servers at breakfast were really nice, too. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Kathy V, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for you response to our survey. I am glad you had a nice experience here, I am sorry about the dirty juice glasses. It is nice to hear from you, and thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Mpls, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Still smells like new! Staff was nice, but a few had to "check with someone" to answer simple questions. Lobby bar doesn't stock plastic cups to take to the pool? Seriously? Get on that, people! The breakfast downstairs is not FREE and is poorly signed. They don't have a "feed yourself option" which would be great - you have be waited upon by the staff. (Time waster.)
Still, our room was clean and the beds were great! I'm super-picky, but would stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay on the non-highway side and away from the elevator!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kathy V, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a recent survey about your stay at the HIlton Garden Inn Rapid City, SD. Your feedback is very important to us. Our breakfast is made to order, but we do have the pastry/fruit bar that you can help yourself to. At this time we have implemented red solo cups for drinks beside the pool. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we value your opinion. Come back and see us!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn in Rapid City is a fairly new hotel conveniently located off the interstate. Our room was sparkling clean and quiet. The restaurant is adequate with a choice of moderately priced sandwiches and pricier entrees. Rapid City is about 30 miles from Mount Rushmore. After driving through the very touristy town of Keystone near Mount Rushmore, we were happy to return to our more sedate accommodations. The entire staff were very competent and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
The Staff at the Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City strive to maintain the best guest service and experience we possibly can provide. The Team Memebers are glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your feedback and strive to make every guest's experience an enjoyable stay. We look forward to your next stay with us in the beautiful black Hills of South Dakota.
Des Moines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were welcomed by a friendly, competent front desk staff and given outstanding directions to get to Mt Rushmore. The dinner was fabulous and a great deal for the price. The room was perfect - roomy, comfortable, and quiet! We highly recommend this Hilton Garden Inn - a real gem!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey and am so glad your experience was a Grand Slam! I am always glad when customer's mention Mt. Rushmore, and I like the easy route up too. Good dinner, good customer service, we aim to please. Thanks again for staying with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We usually stay at full service hotels e.g. Westin but have come to appreciate the value delivered by HGI for our family travels. We had to recalibrate our hotel expectations as a family versus as a couple and feel HGI mostly meets all our needs as a gang of 4.

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June. The location is close to the interstate, Rushmore mall, chain restaurants and gas stations. Our room had a view of the expansive green grasslands and hills in the horizon. Was very pleased overall with the stay and value - free wifi, breakfast included, Bath & Bodyworks toileteries, upscale bedding, etc. As usual HGI delivered that consistent experience and met our expectations. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast time gets busy and one notices strain on service but nothing that impacts the experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for responding to our survey, We are glad to hear that you had a great overall experience.
Foster City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The fact that this hotel is the newest hotel in Rapid City scares me. Only being a few years old worries me of the quality in its future years. On the surface it appears clean but overall it’s just average. I would definitely not rave about it as the others did on Trip Advisor.

• Front Desk/Lobby Area – Nice and impressive, but great common areas don’t wow me. It’s all about the room that I’ll be staying in! I do like how there is always water, coffee, and sometimes lemonade at the front lobby for guests!
• Rooms – Our room was 429 and 437 (last room at the end) and it faced the front of the hotel). The rooms were typical of Hilton Garden Inns, but did have a nicer tile shower. The cleanliness was not impressive though and I found a hair in my sheets and the carpet wasn’t exactly vacuumed clean. The age seems more of a 10 year old hotel. I also did not like how the comforter did not have a sheet duvet, that can be washed each time, but instead had a weird textured comforter cover that may or may not be washed each time. There was a surprising amount of TV cable channels though.
• Breakfast – We added on the breakfast buffet of $5/person for each of the mornings we were there. It was part buffet, part order with a server. The servers were less than enthusiastic and often took a while to wait on you. The hotel really needs to hire 1 person to help clean up, which the servers were busy doing. The food was decent but the dishware seemed very worn and at least each morning I had to ask for another fork, plate or knife because mine was dirty. But for $5, what I can say?
• Pets – Service animals only. I have severe pet allergies and this is the reason why I decided to stay here over hotels in the area.
• Proximity – It is really easy to get to the freeway, though if you put the address in your navigation, make sure you indicate it’s on East Mall Dr, not just Mall Dr (it takes you somewhere else!). It’s about 5-10 minutes to downtown Rapid City and about 30 minutes to Mount Rushmore (if you avoid the downtown route and take mostly highways). Nearest to the hotel is a Denny’s and TGI Fridays. It is about 10-15 minutes from the airport.

Value – We booked our room 1 month in advance and paid about $180 per night. This is on the high side for the area and for the hotel. I noticed at least 3 tour buses there though, taking up several of the rooms probably. I would probably price this hotel more at $120/night.

I am not saying I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others, I just wouldn't rate it as high.

Room Tip: The hotel is set back from the highway so car noise doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathy_venteicher, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond to our guest survey and for your feedback. It is our goal to exceed our customers expectation and we appreciate that you took the time out of your busy schedule to give us the feedback.

I deeply appoligize for the hair that you found. We work hard to make sure our housekeepers keep each and every guest room clean to ensure you have the best travel experience ever.

I hope to serve you as a customer again in the near future. We would be happy to show you that our customer concerns are our concerns. We strive to achieve you 10's on the surevey and will continue to work on exceeding our customer's expectations.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very clean!!! Nice hotel! Would be first choice to stay again! The restaurant was busy in the morning so maybe not the best service but it was good! I am very picky about the hotels we stay in and it was a great hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Kathy V, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to respond to the Hilton Guest Survey. We were thrilled to see the ratings we received from you in regards to your recent staty. If I or any memeber of my staff can be of any assistance for any future stays in Rapid City, please feel free to call or e-mail our hotel, we look forward to being of service again.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City? Share your experiences!