“Very nice place to stay and quiet too!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save!
Ranked #6 of 52 hotels in Rapid City
Sheridan, Wyoming, United States
“Very nice place to stay and quiet too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

When we checked in the front desk let us know about a special price for breakfast if we paid for breakfast with our room. Kids twelve and under eat free. It was a nice buffet breakfast with some cooked-to-order items as well.
The hotel was decorated nicely and was very quiet. The room was good-sized with two beds, a desk, and a chair with an ottoman. The hotel is located close to the mall and many restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad that we not only met, but exceeded your expectations! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota.

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Breaksfast is not available as part of room service and in-room internet service is not free. these were the 2 reasons I booked this hotel otherwise alternate lesser priced hotels were available in the same area.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your comments. I am so sorry, but somehow you were terribly misinformed. We never have, nor do we now charge for wired or wireless internet services. I have also reviewed your folio and did not find any charges posted for your use of internet services. I am confused! Please let me know which web-site you are addressing so that I can get it fixed immediately. We are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us; and if you are ever back in Rapid City we hope that you will choose to stay with us again.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

For the most part, this hotel met the expectations of a Hilton Garden Inn. Check-In was fast and friendly, room was new and clean, and overall a good value.

The hotel is convenient to dining and shopping in the Rapid City area and is obviously one of the newest hotels in town.

My only issue is with whomever they hired to design the rooms. While the colors are modern and pleasant, the closet doors appear to have been bought at a second hand trailer park sale. Also, I presume this same genius had the bright idea of putting the bed on a solid wood frame that is at least an inch wider than the bed on each side. This makes for a great knee and toe banger as you move about the room. Finally, the bathroom. While very clean, the setup is a bit odd, as instead of using a sliding shower door, you have to manipulate a bit of an obstacle course to open the door (I think this door was obtained at the same sale as the closet doors), obtain the shower mat, and then turn on the water. Do not do this in the wrong sequence and you will suffer the consequences.

I actually stayed here twice in the past week. The first night, I attempted to go to breakfast and there was no one to seat me, I stood at the host stand for quite some time and no one appeared or invited me to seat myself. I just left. On the second visit, I did enjoy a nice breakfast with a very friendly server. I guess the day of the week will determine your experience here.

The $10 ish breakfast buffet was adequate and much better than the typical free (get what you pay for) breakfasts offered by many limited service properties.

Overall, two good stays. I will most likely return to this hotel on a future visit.

Room Tip: I am thinking most of the rooms here are about the same.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule, we would like to thank you for your kind comments about our Hotel and staff. The closet doors and the bed frames are part of the Hilton Garden Inn blueprint and I am sincerely sorry you did not like them. Please accept my apologies on this one. We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and if you are ever back in Rapid City we hope that you will choose to stay with us again.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Fantastic experience all the way around! Hanin at the front desk was so courteous and professional - great first impression of the hotel! Then, throughout our stay, we encounter various staff members from Housekeeping, the restaurant, maintenance, sales and catering and of course the bar. Are you kidding me? Every single employee we encountered had a cheerful smile and were sincere in their desire to help us with whatever we needed. These folks CLEARLY love their jobs - it shows. We had a block of 5 rooms including the Presidential Suite. All were spotless, well appointed and very comfy. We ate several meals at hotel and the food and service were consistently outstanding each time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to family & friends and it has become our preferred location for housing business guests as well. Great hotel!

Room Tip: Stay for breakfast - it's worth it!
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pool area looks like a spa, but not really big enough for productive laps, but great for aqua pilates. Exercise room has cardio machines and weights. Made to order omelet was delicious. Tazo tea bags. Room was clean, with high end finishes.

Stayed March 2013
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for the great comments and you are absolutely correct, our pool is not quite large enough for laps, but I am glad you enjoyed your Pilates workout. I will pass along your comments about the omlets to our F&B manager and his staff! We make all of our breakfast fresh and tasty each and every morning to your specifications. I will also let the housekeeping staff know you appreciated their efforts and I look forward to your next stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City.
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We came upon this hotel by accident and were pleased to do so as we had stayed in Hilton Garden Inns before and been very happy. The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. The lobby was very clean and modern. Our room was super with a lovely comfortable bed and so very clean too. We dined in the restaurant and had a gorgeous meal. I started with the Asian wings which were divine and then we both had steaks which were cooked to perfection as we had both ordered different levels of rareity. The waiter/barman was very attentive and gave excellent service. The chef came out to check all was well with the steaks and all in all we had a fabulous meal that night. Breakfast was excellent with a buffet and waitress service for coffee. The food was hot and plentiful. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and I am very glad you found us by accident! I will give kudo's to all of the staff in tomorrows staff meeting on your behalf. I look forward to your next visit to the Hilton Garden Inn in the Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota.
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

After a 15 hour car ride we arrived at the Hilton Garden Inn in Rapid City, SD. My husband and I belong to the Hilton Honors Club as platinum members and we used almost all of our points to book a Presidential Suite for 2 nights. The hotel was very nice and the room was quite large. We had 2 bathrooms in our suite and a large living room w/microwave and mini fridge. Everything SHOULD have been perfect, but it was far from it.

The first problem - they gave us a handicap accessible suite. This normally would not bother me, but in this case it very much did. The toilets sat up so high than I could not touch the floor if trying to use them. I am average height and found this to be not only irritating, but also very uncomfortable. The shower stall was tiny with about no storage for your toiletries, and we constantly ran into the safety bars inside of it. Because the shower is handicap accessible and lays flush with the rest of the bathroom floor, there was always WATER ALL OVER THE FLOOR anytime the shower was used. We were always having to wipe the floor down so we didn't slip and hurt ourselves.

The bed was the worst part. They refer the them as select comfort style beds where you can adjust the firmness/softness of your mattress by easily turning a small knob on the side of the mattress. Well, our bed was broken. We called to the front desk to let them know the bed was rock hard and felt like plywood covered with a sheet. They sent up a bell boy to look at it and condescendingly ask us if we had tried adjusting the mattress like the giant card next to the bed instructed us to. Now I understand that some people may be too stupid to follow directions, or I dunno...READ - but my husband and I are not. Yes, we followed the directions to a T. Bell boy scratches head and says "sorry, I don't know what else to tell you" and leaves. We call back down to the front desk and tell them the problem needs addressed. They then send up a front desk clerk to look at it again just as the bell boy did 15 minutes prior and then she tells us that the maintenance person is gone for the day and there is nothing that they can do about it. Then she had the audacity to suggest we sleep on the pull out sofa bed in the living room. Sadly, we did end up trying this. And true to sofa bed standards, it was no better.

So we drove for 15 hours to arrive at a beautiful hotel in an even more beautiful location and get into our room with hopes of sweet dreams and a comfortable place to unwind and lay our heads, and instead we spent 2 nights sleeping on a rock hard mattress. I even ended up sleeping on the floor at one point. To say we were disappointed is really a severe understatement. Heartbroken comes to mind, especially since this was supposed to be a special part of our trip. Pissed off at the sheer lack of caring is also a good description.

Hotel points used for our stay or not - it should not matter. My husband and I paid for every one of those points we earned by staying at Hilton Hotels frequently, and THIS is how they repaid us.

Room Tip: One with a working bed is probably advisable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry that you you did not find your suite in a condition that is satisfactory and expected from an Hilton Garden Inn. Please let me assure you that I did forward your comment's about the bed to the Maintenance Engineer and to the Front Office Manager in order to take appropriate action so this would not happen again. We take pride in comfort of our guests and our goal is to exceed our guest expectations and I hope you accept my apologies for failing to meet this basic standard.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City? Share your experiences!