“Wavering between 3 and 4 stars on this one...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%!
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Wavering between 3 and 4 stars on this one...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Decided on four instead of three for several reasons:
1. Free wifi, free printing in the business center, free coffee, free cookies!
2. CLEAN. Just amazingly CLEAN!
3. Extra-large room with excellent amenities, including a mini fridge and a microwave.
4. Great soap, shampoo & conditioner selection.

Knocked it down from five to four because:
1. The bed. Seriously. What happened to the "Hilton Bed" that used to be so awesome? This is an "air bladder" adjustable bed. ROCK HARD no matter what. I know I'm spoiled as I sleep on memory foam at home, but this was just awful.
2. They have a "save the environment" thing going on, so if you hang up your towels and washcloths, they won't be replaced. I participated in that, but all my towels were replaced anyway?

The location is good, and it's fairly quiet. It's a stick-built property, though, so you'll probably notice footsteps overhead, as well as lots of traffic noise from the interstate (my room was on the back of the hotel).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in late Oct 2012 as our "base camp" for touring the Black Hills/Badlands region.

The good:
- Location
- Comfortable and well-appointed room with good bathroom plumbing
- Good climate control system
- Price was right for an off-season stay

The average:
- Had to request a "conventional" blanket; was not included in the room as is customarily the case at HGIs
- Bed pillows all too soft, even when doubled-up
- Restaurant cook was clueless as to how to prepare a "scramble" - instead of mixing in (i.e., "scrambling" - hello?) the add-ons (ham, peppers, cheese, etc), he just fixed scrambled eggs and dumped the add-ons on top; and then the next morning I specifically requested the add-ons to be mixed in and he STILL dumped them on top

The not-so-good:
- Thin walls. We could CLEARLY hear our next-door-neighbor snoring through the wall.

Review title says it all...good but not great. Still, I'd stay here again - none of the above were show-stoppers.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This HGI was nice enough, but we had a terrible nights sleep due to a failing A/C.
My husband had fallen asleep and just as I turned off the TV and began to doze off the most horrible noise from the A/C began. Each time the A/C kicked on it jarred the room and sounded like a helicopter coming in for a landing. I woke up each time this happened and thus got very little sound sleep. Believe me, I have had noisy A/C units many times before, but there was something seriously wrong with this one.
Since we were already in bed for the night I did not call to report the problem. I did tell the front desk when we went down for breakfast the next morning, and got nothing but an okay I'll write it down. Would a sorry for your lack of sleep have been to much to ask?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
I am very sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay and I sincerely apologize for the malfunctioning air conditioner and have reported your concerns to our maintenance team. I am incredibly sorry that it disrupted the comfort of your stay. I will be sure to address the issues with the room amenities and hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I would try somewhere else where they care about service. Stayed two nights and requested room be cleaned right away on our second day as we wanted to take a nap in the afternoon. After requesting that the room be cleaned we waited over an hour with no luck getting the room cleaned. Finally gave up grabbed towels and went to our room uncleared. Never was cleaned the second day.

• Stayed October 2012
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guest room, I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the areas that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.
Beardsley, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stopped here on way to WY. New Hotel. Excellent price of king room and breakfast for 2 of $101.00 . Fridge in room; large bathroom; window opens, which is not usual for Garden Inns. BEST feature was the guarantee of a freshly washed bedspread on bed. Lovely laminated card on bed
'In ancient times, there was a prayer for The Stranger within our gates.
Because this hotel is a human institution to serve people, and not solely a money making organization, we hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.
May this room and hotel be your second home. May those you love be near you in thoughts and dreams. Even though we may not get to know you, we hope that you will be comfortable and happy as if you were in your own home.
May the business that brought you our way, prosper.
May every call you make and every message you receive add to your joy.
When you leave, may your journey be safe.
We are all travellers. From birth till death, we travel between the eternities.
May these days be pleasant for you, profitable for society, helpful to those you meet, and a joy to those who know and love you best' How lovely!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the bldg. have great views. On the back, not so much.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while traveling through Rapid City, if I or my staff can ever assist you again please do not hesitate to ask. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip through the Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed in the HGI Rapid City for 4 nights and were very pleased. Staff throughout the hotel is extraordinary, especially at the front desk.
We requested and received a quiet room. It was spacious and, with two exceptions, extremely well furnished. Bed was very comfortable; dark out curtains add to what one needs for a good night's sleep.
Bathroom is large with one of the best showers we've ever used. The showerhead is high enough for an NBA superstar. The floor tile is such that one almost surely can't slip. There's plenty of hot water and the mirror doesn't fog up. Terrific.
The room has a microwave and frig - also plenty of storage space.
Breakfast options include a hot buffet for a bit less than $10 or an a la carte that cost us very little and was completely satisfactory.
Two issues: no in-room safe (generally standard these days) and bedside lighting leaves something to be desired. Neither of these is enough to minimize a great stay.
We recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Black Hills.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - 4th floor that doesn't face I90.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We were pleased to see the ratings and comments we received from you in regards to your recent stay. If I or any member of my staff can be of any assistance for any future stays in Rapid City, please feel free to call or e-mail our hotel, we look forward to being of service again.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hilton Garden Inn have very high standards and this property did not live up to expectations. There was a grumpy person on the front desk, not very welcoming. The room was very hot and the a/c couldn't cope. Food and service in the All American Grill was not very good. The room was large and clean with free WIFI.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Debb B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond to trip advisor and for your feedback. It is our goal to exceed our customer’s expectation and we appreciate that you took the time out of your busy schedule to give us the feedback. I did address the issues you brought up to the respective managers. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I would like the opportunity to show you that our customer concerns are my concerns and invite you to try us again in the near future.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City? Share your experiences!