“This hotel was a awesome getaway.” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Custer, South Dakota
“This hotel was a awesome getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed at the Alex Johnson for our anniversary, the room was quiet, clean
and the bed was very soft.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Red Wing, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

This historic hotel has so much character that it is worth checking out just for the history. The rooms are not huge, but the beds are very comfy and everything is first-rate.

Winner, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

The service is very friendly and professional. The room is very quiet, comfortable and very easy to relax in.

Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I was in Rapid City on business and was stranded here for 4 nights...the first 3 I stayed at a different place, then I thought I was going to be able to leave on the bus so checked out of my hotel and went to the bus station. Last minute, the bus broke down and I needed a place to stay again. My wife got online and found this place was just a couple blocks from the bus station, and it was affordable. I don't know if it was cheap due to the below zero temps and just not enough business this time of year, but it was an amazing place. I got a 4 star hotel for the price of a 2 star motel.
The building is old and full of beautiful architecture and native american artwork, gorgeous chandeliers, etc. The staff is very friendly, helpful and more than willing to share ghost stories about the place, as supposedly it is haunted by several ghosts. They even put me in a room that is supposed to be haunted because I asked, although I didn't see anything out of the ordinary...I do swear I heard some weird mechanical breathing above my bed during the night, but I just ignored it and went back to sleep.
The hotel room itself was incredible with luxurious bedding and furniture, bottled water on the night stand, fluffy bathrobes, etc. My only complaint was that the pillows were too soft...I need a firm pillow and these were so soft, probably down, but its not much of a complaint cuz I know most people like soft pillows, I'm just the oddball.
I also checked out the 8th floor, because the hotel staff told me that was where most of the hauntings happened. Didn't see anything or get any weird, scary vibes. Although when I was leaving, I got on the elevator, no one else around, and the door closed halfway and then stopped and opened back up again. Could have just been a malfunction, although the staff says that happens a lot and they have had it looked at so many times and there is nothing wrong with it.

Lawton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

We usually stay at the Alex Johnson once a year, during the Black Hills Stock Show. The rooms have been remodeled but of course the price also goes up with the updates. Not sure the added cost is worth the hassels of the parking situation when there are certainly lots of other places with better parking. Although the parking is free it is approximately two blocks from the hotel and on the top floor of a parking garage. In our situation this year we had to walk those blocks through rain, then ice and then snow during the three days we were there. Not a pleasant experience combined with the fact that the streets and sidewalks are all torn up also. But it is an advantage to be downtown and be within walking distance of the restaurants, shops and clubs. If I recommended this to a friend I would have to tell them of the disadvantage of the winter season and the parking situation...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
We, at the Alex Johnson, apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay in regards to the downtown parking accomodations. It is true that our parking is offsite, but the parking is only about 1/2 a city block away and is completely complimentary to our guests. Our guests also have the added benefit of 30 minutes of parking in our loading zone, in order to check in and move their luggage to their rooms. It is also true that currently performing road construction on the street in front of the property, but once this is complete the enhancements they are doing will be well worth the very temporary inconvenience of the construction. I encourage you to continue to utilize our property, as we truly the most unique and memorable place to stay in all of Rapid City...stay tuned for the opening of our new roof top sky bar "Vertex"!
Eagle, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

When making my reservation Amanda was extremely helpful and very personable. She took time to ensure that everything that I needed was taken care of. This initial contact with the Hotel Alex Johnson left a very favorable impression.

Once there, Amanda was as delightful while checking in as she was the previous day on the phone. Since I didn't initially tip my hand to our earlier conversation, her positive attitude proved to me to be genuine and a very positive and telling feature for my entire stay. Amanda is a tremendous asset in an industry that needs to cater to it's customers.

The Seattle's Best coffee shop is not only attached to the hotel lobby but it is the largest and most comfortable coffee house I have visited.

Keep up the good work!

Brad Osthus
Sioux City Foundry Co.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Pierre, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

What a great place -- Hotel Alex Johnson is a treasure to behold -- highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!