“Unique hotel with history” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Unique hotel with history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on several business trips and am always pleasantly surprised. Each time ive stayed my room is a little bit different. One room had a jungle theme with animal print furniture and decor and another room was so tiny that the door wouldn't open all the way because the bed was in the way. This hotel is very unique and old and it gets a little creepy at night but it's all part of the fun. The staff informed me that there is one room in the hotel that is known to be 'haunted' (if you like that sort of thing) that you can book in advance. Even riding the elevator will bring you back in time. The location is great, right downtown. There are plenty of bars and restaurants around to walk to.I have been here during the bike events and you can hear everyone partying all night long even from the top floor which is a little frustrating when you have to work early in the morning. Overall I would say this place is a great experience and I would recommend it especially for couples and a trip with friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your recent review and thank you for your patronage. We appreciate you choosing the Historic Alex Johnson for your home away from home when traveling to the area. The Alex Johnson is the only historic hotel in Rapid City and she holds many little secrets. With it's ideal location in the heart of the newly renovated downtown area the Alex Johnson is close to great shopping and dining options.
Thank you for choosing the Alex Johnson and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Spearfish, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed in several Rapid City hotels and decided to take the advice of the many comments on TripAdvisor--One of the smarter things I have done in my travels of the past several months. The room was delightful, the staff friendly, courteous and helpful. I will likely make the Alex Johnson hotel my hotel of choice in Rapid from now until I find a permanent home there. Great value for the price. The view from the eighth floor is awesome.

Room Tip: The view from the front rooms on the upper floors is awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. We would love to be your home away from home. The Alex Johnson is conviently located in the heart of newly renovated downtown area. Close to great shopping and dining experiences. The Alex is the only historic hotel in Rapid City and it offers the beauty and old world charm of yesteryear along with the mondern amenities that the traveling public expect today.
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Alex Johnson and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This was the prettiest hotel of all the hotels I have ever stayed. The staff was great. The view was fantastic. The beds were so comfortable that I didn't want to get up in the morning. My family and I stayed on the 8th floor which the paranormal floor. We were in room 810. We were hoping for some paranormal activity and we were not disappointed. My husband woke up both nights to someone or something standing in our room. I woke up to someone saying mom and moving stuff on the night stand. I thought it was my kids but when I looked both were sound asleep. If you are looking for a nice hotel with some chills this is the place.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your recent review. The Alex Johnson in Rapid City is a great property to headquarters out of while you explore the Black Hills. It is the only Historic Hotel in Rapid City and is conveniently located in the heart of downtown close to amazing shopping and dining experiences along with the new Main Street Square. Our resident ghost are as friendly as our staff and they aim to please the vistor's searching for the paranormal.
salem, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Beautifully restored and historicl hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful right down to the one keeping the front door. He offered to help with our luggage and it was nice to have someone open the door each time you enter or leave a building. Our room was a little small but very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean.
The folks at the front desk were friendly and informative. We had a lot of questions about the hotel history and area and they were very knowledgeable.
The gift shop is definitely worth going through!
The price is very good but there is a fairly high charge for a historical fee, This did not hurt the value of the stay as it still remained about average. This hotel is worth the visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Alex Johnson and the Black Hills in the near future.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It was nice not great. Parking was a hassle the room was avarage, the roof top bar provided great views, but the staff treated us like we were crashing their party. Not welcoming at all! I guess they sell memberships to drink up there. I like the history of the building and the alley grafitti was unexpected and kind of cool. What everyone does in the alley is still a mystery. The pub was more welcoming and sitting on the sidewalk listening to the music made for a great evening. We spent two nigths in Rapid City, one would have been enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The Hotel Alex Johnson is the only historic hotel in Rapid City and is conveniently located in the heart of the newly revitalized downtown area. Close to amazing shopping and dining options. I have visited with the Vertex Manager concerning your observation and we have made some changes in staff and have done extra training since your visit in September to insure this does not happen in the future. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our property receives the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of the Alex Johnson. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention.
Wahpeton, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We checked in & when we got in our room I noticed the bedspread looked dirty to me. So I went back down to the desk & asked for a new bedspread. We went out for awhile & got back around 9:00 pm. Went to our room & the bedspread had not been changed. So I called down to the front desk & the same girl said there wasn't anyone there from housekeeping so if we minded just changing rooms. So I went down to get a new room key & we changed rooms. The second room was a bit better. Just didn't feel like we were important guests & we aren't the type to make a big fuss. We had a hard time sleeping because it was hot in our room. We even opened the windows but then had a lot of street noise. Especially the garbage getting picked up in the alley in the wee hours of the morning.
The best part of the hotel was the rooftop bar. We just walked through it because we didn't have time to have a drink.
Probably will try another place next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. The Alex Johnson is a historic property and it has been updated recently but there is always more work to be done and I appreciate you pointing out areas for improvement. We value our guests and we want to assure you a safe stay, a clean room and the best rates in the Black Hills.
I hope you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and show you the first class service and accommodations that we are normaly famous for.
Middleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We agree with the EXCELLENT reviews by other people. The hotel is very nicely restored, the staff is friendly and helpful. The doorman was particularly helpful, and assured us that we would not be ticketed if we left our street parking place before 9:30 AM on Monday -- that worked out just fine. We stayed there on a Sunday night; so parking may be more challenging on other nights -- just ask the doorman.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. The Hotel Alex Johnson is the only historic hotel in Rapid City and is conveniently located in the heart of the newly revitalized downtown area. Close to amazing shopping and dining options. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can host you on a return trip in the future. Thank you for your patronage.

Been to The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!