“Affordable, good location, dirty...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Redondo Beach
“Affordable, good location, dirty...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My family and I just got back from a trip to Rapid City, SD. I chose this hotel because for $99 a night, I could get a two room suite. Which is essential for my 2 & 4 year old, and our sleeping sanity :) The two room "suite" was two rooms ( 1 king bed/2 queens ) separated by a tiny bathroom. Each room had a flat screen tv (one didn't work, when I asked the front desk about it, they told me to unplug it and plug it back in...that seemed to do the trick). A refrigerator and microwave in one room. Two huge mistakes the hotel made. One: the furnace was FILTHY! The vents were covered in dust and rust. I asked the housekeeper on day one to PLEASE clean them...she didn't. Day two, I asked the front desk: could you please have housekeeping clean our heating units...it didn't get done, again. We left the morning of day three. Two: just outside our window (one the 4th floor) was a LARGE group of pigeons that called the hotel home. Poop everywhere! The 5 a.m. wake up calls with pigeons sitting outside our window ledge was annoying!
Positives: Seattle's best coffee in the lobby. The hotel gives you a discount card when you check in - it gives you two for one coffees, loved it! The location, downtown area, on the up & up. They recently redid the "town center" with a nice grassy area, water fountains, and seating. The kids loved the water. We became very familiar with that area since that is where the hotel parking it located. Yes, you park a block away from the hotel, on the top floor, of a parking structure. The new hotel bar/restaurant called Vertex - It's pretty cool. A few of the staff were a little less than friendly - come on guys, it's a cool place, but you're not working at the Four Season's downtown Denver :( Not that you would have a reason to be so snooty then either. The food, fantastic! We had the crab cake, a caesar salad, and hummus. All were well prepared and tasted delicious!
Although the hotel was said to have been recently renovated, I think they still have lots of work to do! It's not of horrible, disgusting motel quality...but definitely needs some more TLC. I liked the charm of staying down town and the fact that it isn't a chain hotel. I would stay here again, but would be insistent on the cleanliness next time around.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room away from the gaggle of pigeons, it's an awful sight! The higher...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Set your expectations realistically for an old hotel in South Dakota and you will be pleasantly surprised. Great location for downtown activities. Pleasant staff. Small bathrooms but everything worked. Check out the roof top bar if weather permits.

Room Tip: Corner Suite, higher up to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on our tour of S Dakota and Wyoming. While the staff were friendly and helpful and the main lobby of the hotel looked fantastic, the room left a little to be desired. It was clean and the bed was comfortable but the air conditioning was ineffectual and the room was very cramped. With temperatures in the low 70s we would have liked to be able to open a window. Saying that the location is fantastic, it couldn't be more central.

Stayed May 2012
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Be aware that an additional charge of $6.95 will be added to the advertised price of your room. The charge will appear on your bill as “Historic Maintenance Fee”. This money stays with the hotel. It does not go to local government. I asked about the charge at the desk at check out and I was told that the same amount is charged for all rooms and it does not make a difference if you book online, by phone or in person.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Rapid City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Even tho I live in the area - this was a wee special treat that my husband cooked up for me on St. Patrick's Day - and boy! did he do well!!! I was so completely enthralled with everything to do with my stay over this festive time. Not only where the staff incredibly amicable and friendly but made us feel like we were the only guests in the hotel!! We had friends staying at the hotel too and they too felt the same!! Loved the room - LOVED the bed - highly recommend this hotel and its staff to absolutely anyone!

Room Tip: I would totally trust the recommendation of the Front Desk Personnel - they helped my husband choose...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I like interesting hotels, so when a trip to Rapid City came up, I thought this place looked like a good option. I'm glad I booked it...though the stay was not perfect. The staff was helpful, the lobby is historic, and the rooms fit the historic feel of the place. The two bars are interesting. The soap and shampoo are better than I expected. My stay was during an April day that hit 87 degrees, and the A/C did not work...and it was not comfortable. There was a maintenance issue with my ceiling...the paint was peeling in large sections...I think there was a leak...I was on the top floor. Ultimately, I'm glad I stayed here, and if historic charm trumps a pool and generic hotels, I would suggest a stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
colorado springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

i was in town during easter visiting family and i loved the hotel and places downtown i had a room on 9th floor with a beautiful view the housekeeper however was rude an acted like he was mad at the world i wanted to switch to another floor but front desk said id be charged to do that but i just said whatever and delt with my stay.firehouse is awesome but plan on waiting forever for your food cause i was there longer than expected.rapid city is a nice places and if your staying at the alex johnson id recommend you stay on any floor but 9.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Hotel Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!