“Bad experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Calgary
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The room was dirty and the smell unbearable.The hotel seems very old and is nowhere near the standard expected for a Holiday Inn Express hotel. We stayed in several HIE hotels across North America. This has been by far the worst.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We drove from Kansas to Rapid City. We were happy to see a bed and these were very nice and comfy! We checked in at midnight and the person at the desk was very pleasant and helpful. Room was clean and quiet. Breakfast was normal for buffet. Cinnamon rolls were warm and good. The children liked the pancake machine and hot cocoa. Coffees do juice were okay. There was construction around the hotel, but didn't hear any , just made the entrance a little harder to locate. Overall, a pleasant experience.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We're currently staying and checking out tomorrow. The room is nice enough and clean, I really have no complaints about it. The walls are quite thin and we often hear people walking above us (staying on the 2nd floor), music, conversations, dogs, and vacuum cleaners. There is a spotlight pointed right up at the hotel, and is so bright that the curtains can not keep out the light at night. Forget about absolute darkness, you won't get it here.

Breakfast is meh and beware of the major road construction next to the hotel.

This hotel is fine, but absolutely overpriced and not worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not close to a spotlight.
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
West Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Our first stay at this Holiday Inn Express. We found the hotel overall to be clean and well taken care of. Our room was also very clean and everything was in nice shape. The pool is large and the pool area also very large. The fitness room is small with only three pieces of equipment; a recumbent bike, a stepper, and a treadmill. Dumbbells are also available. The breakfast area is small, but if the weather is nice, there is a nice outdoor patio. The front desk staff was excellent. They were very helpful with directions and dining recommendations. We would not hesitate to stay here again. Another bonus is that this IHX is the closest IH to Mt. Rushmore.

Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple
RapidCityGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rapid City, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank You for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed our indoor pool and found the patio to be nice. I am proud that our Front Desk staff has excellent service and helped you find dinning locations and such. We look forward to the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
Sioux Falls, SD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I made this reservation on my corporate card in May. 3 days before the trip my card was hacked and cancelled by the issuing bank so my employer called the hotel directly and paid with their card.
When we checked in the reservation reflected the old card - I pointed this out to the desk person Devyn and she wasn't going to research it; she wanted ME to pay personally. A lady in the back room had to tell her to look through a file folder and when Devyn returned to the front desk she threw the folder down and proceeded in a huff to find the change. She found the change and made the corrections.
I am a priority Club member and my number and point balance were in plain view. My husband is a platinum member and we informed her of both memberships yet even though there was a rack of welcome amenities directly behind her Devyn did not offer us anything.
We have been making this business related trip for 12 years to this location. Next year and any future pleasure trips we will use the hotel across the road.
THIS IS THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW WE HAVE BEEN IGNORED AS PRIORITY CLUB MEMBERS - LAST YEAR MY HUSBAND'S PLATINUM STATUS WAS IGNORED ON A PERSONAL TRIP.

Room Tip: As of june 2015 road construction on Rushmore Blvd for the next 2 years (weare told).
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
I would like to Thank You for taking the time to share your experience with me. I would also like to apologize for the lack of customer service you received. I am a new GM to the property, and it is my goal to bring my team forward on every level to not only meet, but to exceed our guest’s expectations. Your feedback is very beneficial to me in helping my staff improve. Not only am I working with my staff on IHG reward club member benefits/recognition, we are training in all levels of customer service.
Palm Harbor, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very nice hotel. Very clean, good breakfast. Our room was on the 2nd floor. Whoever was above us was up walking all night long. We got no sleep. I learned the next day that this hotel is often used by people taking outpatient cancer treatments. This frequently has side affects, one of which can be discomfort that keeps people up at night. So, I don't want to complain. I do suggest however, that if there is a way to assess people's purpose for the visit, perhaps tourists could be put in a separate area, or top floor.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Thank You for your review. I am glad that your found our property t be clean and that you enjoyed our breakfast. We currently assess our arrivals for special request, and we can certainly add looking for special medical concerns/consideration to that. What a thoughtful Idea. Thank You.
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was my wife and I along with my elderly mother in Rapid City visiting family. We stayed in one of their suites which was very generous in size, but really need to be up dated. The furniture was tearing at the seams and the sheets on the bed smelled of cigarette smoke. The carpet was clean but worn and the traffic noise from out side was very loud making it hard to go to sleep. Overall the room was very expensive for the quality of the stay (one night cost over $250).

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rapid City, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Rushmidwest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It is regretful to learn that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay because of the our room accommodations falling below your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I am confident that these concerns you mentioned will be looked into and your comments will be considered for needed improvements.

Once again, thank you and we hope you give us a chance to host you again another time.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Rapid City? Share your experiences!