“Professional” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Rapid City
Maui, Hawaii
“Professional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had a late arrival, and notice tons of motorcycles in the parking lot. Sturgis had some kind of biker weekend going. The front desk was turning away people who wanted rooms, because they were booked. My first thought was that yes I had reservations, but what if they screwed me and sold it because of my late arrival. I was greeted professionally, and told her I had reservations. She quickly grabbed the room keys, and told me with a smile that she was waiting for us, and that we were the last one's to check in. Thank God they did not sell my room, because from the looks of it we would have no luck finding a room in SD. Thanks for being professional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

After staying with family members and in small hotels, to end our trip I booked us here and I am so glad we did. The rooms and bathroom are spacious, the staff are friendly, and it is a easy drive to the airport. It was a luxurious respite after almost 2 weeks of travel. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We booked a week at this hotel. When we arrived they mistakenly assigned us to a smoking room. They then blamed the third party service we booked with. If you cannot accommodate orbitz, etc then don't make rooms available to them. They then assigned us to the handicapped room which had no working air conditioner. The hard working night employee put us in a suite for the evening but we had to move back to the handicap ro for the rest of the week. One King bed for us and our 14 year old. We were supposed to have 2 queen beds. The poor kid had to sleep in a roll away for a week and woke up every day with a sore back

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rapid City, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear kvanderdussen,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am deeply sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay with us due to the issues you had with your room accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

First things first: My family's vacation plans changed at least three times before we even left home, so I spent a lot of time on the phone with the staff here. They were friendly and helpful each time, so I arrived with a very positive feeling about the hotel.

We arrived during the Sturgis motorcycle rally, and the hotel was packed. We had requested a rollaway bed for my son, but it was in use the first night we were there. However, the staff addressed the situation with the laid-back friendliness which I found in most of the South Dakotans I encountered. A minor hiccup which I handled with less patience than I should have, although in my defense, it was at the end of a fifteen hour drive.

As to the facilities, I do not remember being in a hotel as clean as this one. Our room was immaculate. Spotless. Whoever cleaned it did not skimp by, say, avoiding out of the way corners. The same goes for the breakfast area and the pool room. Clearly, the staff here takes cleaning very seriously.

The one hitch, and it's no fault of the hotel: The building is tucked back behind a gas station, and to get to the hotel, one has to use the gas station's driveway. We drove around for a couple of minutes trying to find a way in. I suppose some more prominent signage would solve that problem.

I would recommend this hotel for its proximity to the major highway which leads to Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, and the southern Black Hills attractions, as well as for its friendly staff and its cleanliness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Western side, which is quiter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Helena, Mt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our 2nd stay here. Staff were friendly and helpful when we arrived and we were upgraded to a nice room with king bed and sofa. Room was clean and spacious. Location is south end of downtown, right off very busy street. There is a gas station right next door and several eating establishments within walking distance. Our room was on northeast corner, so lots of road noise (definitely needed our white noise machine). Also noisy from little kids playing in the hallway early in the morning -- seems parents wanted them out of the room, without respect for other guests. Breakfast was good and well-stocked, but the eating area is extremely small and crowded. One small computer available in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Ronge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Very clean, air conditioned, friendly staff, nice pool area, free hot breakfast. It was a little pricey for what you get, breakfast area was very crowded, and it's a bit of a drive to the tourist attractions.

• Stayed July 2012
Perrysburg, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

As other reviewers have mentioned this is an older Holiday Inn, which meant that you could hear a lot through the walls and anything that happened in the hallway (doors closing, children running down the hall, etc) as well as outside, even with the windows closed (music from cars going by, an outdoor concert).
If you are sensitive to noise I would choose a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Rapid City? Share your experiences!