“Dirty Whirlpool Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Pierre
Pierre, United States
“Dirty Whirlpool Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Although the room was quiet and comfortable, we were unable to use the whirlpool. We filled it up and turned on the jets...black pieces (mildew?) started floating around in the water. Also noticed the caulking was disgusting! Peeling off and black colored. This was definitely a 2 star room. Noticed cracks, miss-matched painting, wall/ceiling peeling, etc.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

rickmurray, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your response. I apologize for the whirlpool being closed in the pool area. We had a motor go out. I will have housekeeping go through all the room whirlpools and run a disinfectant through the jets. Again, please accept our apology.
Rick Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was close to the Missouri, so it was scenic for a morning walk after a great breakfast. Service in the dining room was good, as was the food. There were no problems checking-in or checking-out. The room was fine, but the bathroom could have been cleaner. The room was quiet which was surprising since the hotel is located on a highway. Signage for the hotel could have better. All in all, it was a good stay for me. My brother and his wife also stayed there. She has some mobility problems, but was unable to get a first floor room since the hotel was so busy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rickmurray, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear 1Magenta,
Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments on to the front desk, kitchen staff and the restaurant staff. I will speak with the housekeeper to pay more attention to the bathroom.
Miller, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I grew up in Pierre and have stayed here a lot over the years. My husband and I stayed with our two little girls over a weekend. I really enjoyed our stay. Our room was all updated with granite countertops and nice beds. The wing we stayed in was nice. It was quiet until 3/4 AM and all our fishing neighbors went out for a tournament. It still wasn't that loud. I'm a mom so I wake up with slight noises. I really like this hotel. We rarely eat here though. Just our preference with little kids.

• Stayed June 2013
rickmurray, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the staff.
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were on our way back on a 17 day road trip from Miami to western North Dakota and this hotel was the least desirable of any that we stayed in during the 17 days. We were on the road when I decided where we could make it for the night. We opened the AAA travel book and started calling hotels along I90 toward Mitchell; all were full because it was Saturday night and a lot of people were returning from Sturgis. I saw the turn off to Pierre advertised and decided to try there even though it was about 35 miles off the Interstate. AAA had the Best Western Ramcota listed as a 3 star hotel so I though it would be nice; called and they had a room with two double beds available. Arriving at the hotel it looked nice; the lobby looked nice so we expected the room to be the same. I asked for a cart to take the luggage up to the room; was told that they have carts, but didn’t have elevators to get to the second floor where our room was located. The man at reception sketched on a plan where our room was; made a line to show how to get our car in back of the hotel near an entrance to the second floor. It was dark, I tried the way he showed but found that there was no vehicle access that way so I had to go around the hotel another way and finally found the rear entrance. Because there was no elevator, we left most of our luggage/belongings in the car, took a small bag, and went up the stairs to the room. Getting to the room was like going through a maze; after a few false starts we arrived at the room. The room looked clean and looked liked it had been renovated some time during the past year. It was late so we rushed downstairs to the restaurant. We ordered the salmon and found it not to be very good. We went back to the room and upon entering noticed a peculiar smell, which, after being in the room a while, became bearable. The beds were good and the room was in a quiet place in the hotel. But, we didn’t get a good night’s sleep because, all night long, the air conditioning unit fan made a noise like it was intermittently rubbing against something. We were happy to leave the next morning before breakfast (we decided to forego the previous evening’s experience in the restaurant). Needless to say we won’t be returning! We had a similar experience with a BW Ramkota in Bismarck, ND 7 years ago and didn’t return this time when we were there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rickmurray, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for your stay. I will have maintenance go through the second floor rooms and correct the problems that you mentioned. I will work with the front desk to explain directions so guests aren't tying to guess where they are going. Again, I apologize for your stay at our facility.
Rogers, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Traveling from the Twin Cities to the Black Hills, we decided to cut the drive in half and stop in Pierre for the night. The Best Western Ramkota Hotel was great! When we checked in, the front desk attendant, Daniel, was great! He noticed we were traveling with another family and we both had kids so he moved our rooms right next to each other and also put us right outside the pool so all we had to do was walk out our back door, right into the pool. That was great, but we also learned the downside of being next to the pool. We went to bed that night at a decent time and there were still kids around the pool making lots of noise. It's nothing we're upset about at all, just fair warning that if you request a room next to the pool, be prepared for the extra noise if you turn in early.

There's a restaurant in the hotel, although we did not eat there, but nice to know it's there. There's also a fish cleaning house at the back of the hotel with FREE ice for your cooler. I thought that was great! Just what we needed, but also, as an avid fishermen, I was very impressed that the hotel had a fish cleaning house and a freezer full of ice. The hotel is right next to the river so if that's what you're going to be doing, this would be a great place to stay. Plenty of room to park your boat trailer at the end of your day.

Overall, this hotel was great if you're just looking to make a stop on your way to or from the Black Hills. I would go back again. BTW, stop by the dam and visitor center. Lots of history, including an old schoolhouse they moved to this site and also meet Jack. Jack is the volunteer onsite to explain things. He was really nice, knew lots about the area and made it a great stop before we got back on the road to the Black Hills.

Room Tip: Be careful of rooms next to the pool. Nice for the kids, but noise level potentially high into the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rickmurray, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Mark G,
Thank you for your response. I will pass your compliments on to Daniel. I am glad the amenities of the fish station and ice worked for you. The fishing has been great in this area.
We have bikes at the desk to check out and you can take the bike trail through the city and see the Capital and see the Memorials and scenery.
rapid city, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This location is located right by the river, with easy access to the Capital. The staff and food are amazing. Upon check in our young daughter was nervous in the lobby. The staff made conversation with her that made her feel great. Many times kids can feel overwhelmed with travel, this location made her feel like she mattered. When in the Pierre are we suggest this location and will return. We are planning a family fishing trip on the river very soon and the Best Western and their staff will even cook our catch for dinner! Unheard of service.

Dear Robert B,
I am glad your family enjoyed their stay. I will pass on your compliments to the front desk. I think you will have some good fishing when you come to Pierre. It has been good. When you come back please let me know and I'll get you a some passes to the Discovery Center for your daughter. Thank you for your response.
Helena, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel..only one night but so worth it. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Our poolside room was great for the kids and the beds were very comfortable. Thank you for such a nice stay.

Dear Daryl h,
Thank you for your response. I am glad your family enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you in the future.
Rick Murray

Been to BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!