“Great for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Mitchell
Athens, Ohio
“Great for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

Great motel for those on a tight budget. The rooms were huge and the continental breakfast was decent. Even had a hot tub and internet. Room was clean.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Billings MT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

I stayed twice on my last trip. The first time was Saturday and paid $59,99 before tax. The room was fine and clean with an scimpy continental breakfast. On my way home after a very hard day I thought why not stay again. This was on a Monday night. Well I was too tired and got stupid, just signed my name and headed for bed. There I was with a big room and three beds but I just needed to crash. I was surprised the clerk didn't mention that. In the morning I looked at the slip and wow a whopping $80! I went to the desk and asked for the manager, the man told me he was the owner. I told him my tale of woe and he seemed rather amused and obviously indifferent. He told me he will charge as much as he can possibly get. If the customer complains he will give the AAA discount. I showed my card but never saw a sign of any discount. He said he might discount farther if they complain but his clerks are not authorized to do that soooooooooo my tough luck. I learned a good lesson and won't be staying at the Thunderbird again. he made it clear he doesn't care about repeat business. Price gouging at its worst.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — price and owner attitude
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Stayed here on our way back from Sturgis Bike week 2008, we were a bit afraid at first but it turned out to be a very good place for the price. American staff, whirlpool, breakfast and very clean room. The hotel is a bit out dated but it was a great stay. I would definitely recommend to others and I plan to stay there again next year if we go to Sturgis again!

• Liked — clean for the type of hotel
  • Disliked — it was a bit out dated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We were very pleased with our stay at The Thunderbird! I found their name in a travel brochure at a rest area and knew we should call. We had never called a private owned motel, but thought it was worth a try. We got there and the gentleman at the desk showed us a room. I liked the fact that they had things available on the premise like bags of ice, etc. That was very convenient for us since we travel with a cooler. We stayed only one night but have recommended it to many people since we've gotten home. For an added bonus check out the Jackalope statue and take a few photos!

• Liked — Very clean and front desk employees were very friendly
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Spent one night here. Immediate area not scenic, just off freeway. Good service from staff. Weak complementary breakfast. Has lobby PC. Average bargain room with fridge, normal features. In-house liquor store. Lots of travel info. Good bargain - $53.50 with AARP and taxes. Restaurants nearby but I did not use them.

• Liked — Value, service
  • Disliked — Unattractive surroundings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Central Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

On our travels out west, we felt obligated as tourists to visit the Corn Palace, so our 2nd night found us in Mitchell. The hotel was average, but a good value for an overnight stay. Rooms were well kept, staff was courteous. The continental breakfast was ok, but sparse.

• Liked — Good value
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

This place was recommended by a friend who also told us to get the coupon off of hotel coupons dot com. Great deal. $49 for two beds. (Make a reservation if you can, they only sell a certain number of "coupon rooms" each night. We checked in at 4pm and got one of the last ones.)

We like staying at locally owned places when we can. This one was very tidy, bathroom was clean and each room has a fridge & microwave. Nothing fancy, but perfectly comfortable.

Breakfast is exactly what you would expect - toast, juice, coffee, cereal and donuts. Not a meal, but enough carbs to get your blood sugar surging for the drive.

I was going to take a pic, but realized that the pics on their website are very accurate and don't try to make the place look more glamorous than it is. Just look at those.

Stayed July 2007

Been to Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell? Share your experiences!