“See the Corn Palace and Hit the Depot” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 49 Restaurants in Mitchell
Cuisines: American
Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
“See the Corn Palace and Hit the Depot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

On a business trip to Sioux Falls, we needed gas and food, and on a whim, made a side-trip to the Corn Palace in Mitchell. At the Corn Palace, the nice ladies making up popcorn bags tipped us off to The Depot as a good local spot and right down the street (210 South Main -- (605) 996-9417) And we thoroughly enjoyed it for lunch. Owner John Foster has done a very nice job with the old freight depot that in many towns now just sit abandoned.

They have a wide range of interesting beers on tap, (we abstained but it's good to know for future reference) and a good menu selection. One of our party had a "chicken cordon bleu sandwich with chicken, ham, and cheese which was great. Two of us had a prime rib french dip which was wonderful with really good fries.

It was just after the lunch hour, and the service was attentive and quick. We didn't encounter any of the downsides that some of the other reviewers apparently experienced, and had a very nice lunch. If we're in town at lunch or dinner, we'll definitely try it again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Service is friendly but food in average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Service was really friendly but the food was average. Nice place to spend an evening during the week if you are a business traveler. Drinks and average meal.

Visited December 2012
Midwest USA
“Good Service however the food was lacking...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

In town on business again and after havng been to Chef Louie's many times I was looking for someplace else.

Seeing the reviews on the Depot I figured this would be as good as any place to try.
Well good news and bad.

I was greeted promptly at the door. My waiter was right there, however when I ordered my food I needed to show him the menu because he didn't understand the choices for my menu selection.

The Asparagas Chowder soup was very good. However my choice The Depot Dinner Steak an 8oz Top Sirloin had an off favor to it. After trying a couple of bites just to be sure I didn't imagine this, I gave up on the steak and ate my bread instead.

I didn't report it to my waiter because by this point I didn't want it to be replaced.

So this could have just been something weird but, I did enjoy the Chowder.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mitchell, South Dakota
“Slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food was not very warm and the service was very slow. We were offered the chance to order more drinks because the kitchen was so slow.

Visited September 2012
Presho, South Dakota
“Fun Atmosphere with Good Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We enjoyed the unique architectural features of the Depot Restaurant. Take a few minutes to study the high ceilings & unusual windows.
I chose the delicious French onion soup & the huge shaved ham sandwich. (1/2 a sandwich is an option). Others in my party chose hamburgers, club sandwiches, and French dip with a variety of potato sides. Everyone was pleased with their meals. Prices were very competitive.
We will certainly return.

• Visited October 2012