“Beautiful location and lobby - adequate rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Spearfish Canyon Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   10169 Roughlock Falls Road, Lead, SD 57783   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lead
Texas
“Beautiful location and lobby - adequate rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I've wanted to stay here since the Ponderosa pine lodge went up years ago. The incarnation of the Spearfish Canyon Lodge which previously existed here was not so spectacular.

The lobby is beautiful - huge stone fireplace, lots of couches and chairs, rustic decor if you can get past the heads of dead animals on the walls. =)

The rooms are . . . ok. Comfortable beds, but for the price I expected to be "wow"ed and was not. Also I checked the website before leaving and found no mention of a hot tub. However, there are two hot tubs on the second floor balcony with a magnificent view of the stars. Had I known beforehand I would have packed a suit rather than having to buy a WalMart cheapie special that I left behind.

Staff is very nice and helpful. There is a bar that serves limited bar food. The Latchstring Inn across the highway (you can walk there) is also a ponderosa pine structure. My mom and I had breakfast there, the French toast is awesome.

The location is unbeatable if you're into outdoors-type stuff. Roughlock Falls is a mile away, Spearfish Falls is even closer, and you're right in the middle of Spearfish Canyon aka heaven.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Estevan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed here in July. We splurged on a room - we were in the Roosevelt Suite and it was gorgeous! It was like we were staying in a cabin - only it was a hotel room! The duvet on the bed was like heaven! They also leave 2 robes and a teddy bear on your bed that you can use and then are available for purchase if you like. I thought this was a great idea. I was blown away with the view from the room. You look out your front living room window, you can step out on to the balcony and have the most breathtaking view of the canyon. My family and I also did the 1 mile hike up to Roughlock Falls. I recommend that as well! I was impressed! Also, I thought the staff were very friendly and helpful to me an my family. The lobby is a gorgeous sight as well. The only minor downfall - is that it may be a little hard to find! The address is Roughlock falls, Lead, SD. It's a good thing I convinced my husband that we should take the "scenic" Spearfish Canyon Bypass road towards Lead, because we accidentally stumbled upon our hotel. Otherwise, i would have had him drive directly to Lead - which is actually quite a ways away from where the hotel is situated! Other than that - nothing but wonderful things to say!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We waited over a half-hour to check in. They had only one person at the front desk, who was taking phone calls and making reservations while we waited. The rest of the staff, including a manager, were having a meeting across the lobby. It was annoying to see all those employees continue their meeting while several guests were waiting at the front desk.
There are a few nice hiking trails nearby so it was worth it to stay one night. The hotel itself is average in every way, nice enough but nothing great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Easton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

We have been planning a trip out west for several weeks and were very careful to pick hotels/lodges that would make our vacation even more enjoyable. We made reservations at the Spearfish Canyon Lodge in Lead, SD a few weeks ago.
We arrived today, had a wonderful lunch at the Latchstring just across the road from the lodge. Wonderful scenery....good food...we were so happy with our choice! Went to check in at the lodge....rooms were not ready yet, told to come back about 3 or so...went for a lovely walk. Came back and were told they could not honor our reservation....they had overbooked! Both my husband and I tried to get them honor the reservation but they kept saying the wedding that was going on had taken all the rooms. While I was standing there a man walked up and got a room. The man on the desk said that the man was with the wedding....when I asked the man he said no.....his wife then said they had reserved weeks ago. Our reservation was thru Priceline.com and I can't help but wonder if they got more for our room and just brushed us off? They sent us to the Fairfield Inn in Spearfish and paid for our room.....a suite but just off the interstate overlooking the trash cans and some old trucks. We are both very upset.
Did I mention my husband is very ill and had to work with his DRs to even make this trip. I explained this to the man at the desk....we still got kicked out.
Be careful when you plan to stay there.....your reservation guarantees nothing!
*****they just called and said they found a room but the drive back is long and we're just gonna stay where we are.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Gillette, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

The Bride and I had always talked about staying here and finally got around to booking a suite. We live about 100 miles away and have been "up the canyon" several times and always found it beautiful.

We arrived rather late and missed dinner (restaurant closes at 8 PM) and the bar "kitchen" was broken, but fear not we didn't starve. We kinda thought this might happen and had food with us! The check-in was quick and friendly. We didn't get the suite we booked but one further down the hall. They didn't offer a reason for the switch, nor did I ask, and as it had identical amenities I don't see any reason to get bent out of shape about it. I know some who would have their weekends ruined by a switch like this.

The room was clean and comfortable. Microwave, fridge, coffee pot, free water in the fridge. They do offer hot chocolate (S'bux brand) with the coffee as well as microwave popcorn! That was a first for us. Very enjoyable. Robes are laid out for your use (and purchase) and are nicer than the robes that the Marriott puts out. There was very little in the way of "information" in the room that you normally see. Local info, hotel info, ect. However, this property is kind of "out in the sticks", so wasn't a huge issue. Now, don't let that scare you from staying here. While the Lodge is kind of isolated, it isn't far to ANYWHERE in the Black HIlls from here. Nicely central. And the scenery! Poets would be challenged to describe it with any accuracy.

The sink area is quite large and can be seen from the main portion of the room which is a downer for me personally. The tub/toilet is rather small, but adequate. The bath amenities are very nice (avail for purchase in the gift shop), but the bubble bath provided had a price tag on it and we weren't sure it wasn't a "mini-bar" situation so the Bride declined to use it.

The fireplace wasn't functional when we arrived, it kept going out. They had it working better the second night but said it needed a FULL cleaning and didn't want to do that with us there and chance getting soot all over our stuff. That was rather kind of them, really.

The TV has 18 channels and is pretty basic - heavy on news and sports and the bigger networks. However, if you're watching TV in this location you need some serious counseling. It snowed on us the entire weekend and we were STILL outside and running around the mountain.

They have two hot tubs on the upper deck. The first night the door was locked, but the second night it was open, but the snow hadn't been shoveled off the deck. It was our first time hot tubbing in a fairly heavy snow: bliss! We had to remove the covers and there were no hooks for robes and stuff, but we managed. Getting out of a hot tub and stepping barefoot into the snow (3" or so) was SSLLIICCKK! If you visit during the "snowy season" keep your head up walking outside. Snow will slide off the roof (they do post signs) with amazing velocity and quantity.

The restaurant is across the highway and we used it for breakfast and dinner. The food is good with large portions and reasonably priced. One guest in there was obviously disturbed by the many animal mounts hanging on the walls. This is a mountain lodge and they are part and parcel of the genre, area of the country and its history.

They main room of the lodge is very comfortable apart from a few wing-back chairs that are only slightly less comfortable than concrete covered lumber. They look nice, but...

Checkout was quick, but had to be done at the desk. A fellow gets used to "quick" check-out that has become standard and this was kind of...quaint! My Bride bought several items from the gift shop as we got a 10% discount with the room. The people checking us out didn't take the 10% off and kind of chastised us for not telling him (what do they say about assume?), but he was able to find somebody to quickly correct this. We also learned that no everything was discounted - like the earrings my Bride bought - no signs or mention of this anywhere - which I found kind of irk-some.

The other thing I didn't care (in the room) for is a rather large lamp sitting on the table making it unusable for most table purposes. So, sink location and a lamp - pretty picky in the grander scheme of things, so we'll call this a win.

If you are Visiting the Black Hills do plan on making this a stop. It is easily reached from Rapid City, Sturgis, or Spearfish using different highways with excellent scenery. It is close to a LOT of stuff to see and do as the area is rife with culture and history as well as sight seeing opportunities. Deadwood (a mining and gambling town) is a sceneic and short drive away.

Seriously, just book it and go.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Rockwall, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The staff is wonderful, the food is good, the rooms are over-the-top wonderful and the view is unsurpassed. I've stayed here several times and will not consider staying anywhere else in the Rapid city area. It's certainly not a city hotel, but that is what makes it so special. The Latchstring restaurant is across the street and serves excellent food. Our waiter, Tyler, was the best in the business. Not only was he knowledgeable about the menu, he knew a great deal about the surrounding area and was just overall a nice young man. Cant wait to return. Now that American is flying nonstop from Dallas, this will become a regular trip for me.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
World wide traveler
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Paid $230.00 for one night room was terrible. There was dust on the headboard of bed, dust on the mantel of the fire place. The dust was so bad my husband had an allergy attack!!! We had to sleep with our window open in the middle of a blizzard. Then we could not take a shower because the wall paper was peeling back and if we would have showered it would have completley peeled off. There was a hole in the bathroom door. The bedskirt had a large rip in it. Then at 7 am there was a bobcate removing snow in parking lot beeping every time it backed up - We got no sleep.

This place is a classy as a Motel 6

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Spearfish Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!