“Classic Mom & Pop Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Kadoka
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Classic Mom & Pop Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our room was neat and clean. Older decorating, yes, but not dirty. The bath appeared to have been updated and the beds were fine for sleeping. It does not have the amenities of the usual chain motel. However, it fits the bill if you are crossing South Dakota to get somewhere else and need an overnight stay. We called directly to get a room rate and found the rate consistent with what other small motels off the Interstate charged. Check in / out was easy. The motel is well off the Interstate, making it very quiet. The onsite owner was helpful and suggested we see the nearby petrified forest museum, which turned out to be interesting. Though this property is part of Rodeway Inns, the impression one gets is that this place is a bit of americana travel before the franchises and corporate chains took over. I would stay at this place again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really hate to leave bad reviews, however I just can’t help it, this MOTEL was terrible!! I would like to add that the room appeared to be clean when I first walked in, however the bathroom had a zillion flies! We had to keep the door closed and stuffed a towel under the door, so they wouldn’t consume us during the night!! The beds were comfy as one could expect from a smaller property, the grounds looked clean, the laundry room was clean and open- Parking was a bit odd, as the space right in front of my room was taken so I had to park a few doors down which I didn’t like, in case we were chased out by the flies, I wanted to make a quick getaway to my vehicle! The lady at the desk, was friendly, she seemed very nice, it was after 11pm when I arrived the check in process was efficient, I was shocked at the price which was $75.00 and way too much for this town and for this motel, however I was on a road trip back to CA from Mn and had to sleep, our room was on the end, room 118, I was afraid as I noticed that the window in my room and the next room were broken, the staff seemed to think that by covering the windows in (what appeared to be hard plastic cling wrap) was suitable, we were scared for our life (My daughters and I) because, anyone could have reached in and opened the window!! I had read reviews that the windows had been broken due to a hail storm a few weeks, back, but I thought this was interesting that only the part of the window that opened was broken, but whatever. We were told that there was a continental breakfast the next morning, but we just wanted to get away from the flies and get out of dodge so sadly we spent our money in the next town at McDonalds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kadoka hotels

Norther Central PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had room 134 and I was not impressed. Our room had 2 double beds and 2 singles . The room was old and dated but it was clean, but that's about it as for as pleasing goes. There was no fridge or microwave. The carpet needed to be shampooed. The sheets on the twin beds would not stay on the beds and I kept waking up to fix them so my grandchildren weren't sleeping on dirty mattresses. The beds were soft and semi-comfortable. A continental breakfast was offered free at the restaurant next door, or you could get 15% off of a menu ordered breakfast. The elderly woman who oversaw the free continental breakfast area was a joy. Breakfast was toast, English muffins, frosted flakes, cheerios, bran and blueberry muffins, donuts, juice, coffee and tea. Because of the sheets coming off the beds, I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fairbury, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I just could't wait to get out of this room. I expected more for the price. It seemed dirty with the old worn carpet. Don't let the outside of the motel fool you. I felt creepy crawlie all nite! I ddn't feel real safe in the room either looked like they had several locks on the door but only one worked.

Room Tip: Drive on to another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having beat a hasty retreat from the Budget Host we found ourselves at the Rodeway Inn. Paid $89.99 before taxes for a double room in late July on a weeknight.

The good things- clean, lots of towels (five bath towels, five hand towels, five face towels), microwave and fridge.

The not-so-good things: worn carpet which was warped in many places, bedside lamp which did not work (even after we put put good bulbs in it), outside door did not fit properly on the hinges so it opened and closed with a super loud noise (meaning the spouse couldn't leave for an early morning run without waking the rest of us us). Internet comes with the hotel BUT we could not get a signal in our room. Had to go to the lobby to use it. At 11pm it suddenly shut off.

A note written by hand on the paper provided by the motel read, "Please live a tip. Thanx." I can appreciate that making a living in this small town is hard, but a tip should be left for personal service. We did not experience that from anyone at this hotel. We left before 5pm the next day so we didn't see the breakfast.

If we hadn't been so tired we would never have stayed here. I suspect this is the story of Kadoka- no one really wants to stop but everyone is so dog tired they do. Just don't expect much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tullahoma, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This motel is older and the office does actually reek of nicotine, but our sleeping room was clean. The free continental breakfast was provided at the restaurant next door, with an option instead for a cooked to order breakfast at a discount, which we chose. That breakfast was fine and service friendly. The motel room had three beds (we asked for two beds) which did not serve a problem as there was plenty of room. Didn't use the pool, but it looked clean. There is a small playground provided by the motel, so we listened to kids yelling and it was at times noisy, but it was summer and good to see the kids having fun. This is not a luxury hotel but will do if you want to get some sleep before or after driving the Badlands. There was a laundry facility but we did not use. Internet was fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a night here on our way out to the Badlands. It was a mixed bag. The good: the rooms were large, well appointed, and clean. We had reserved two rooms for our group and were given rooms with communicating doors, which was nice. The restaurant next door (H&H),which is connected with the motel, was convenient and offered a good breakfast. Some of us also enjoyed our dinners, but one in our group ordered the french dip which was revolting. I had a bison burger, which was quite acceptable. On the not so good front: all of our mattresses had rubber covers. Some in our group didn't mind this, but I personally dislike rubber mattress covers, as I always feel damp and clammy sleeping on them. And the really bad thing was that there was absolutely no hot water when we got up at 6:30 a.m. The man at the front desk thought that maybe someone had left their tap on all night, draining the hot water reservoir. Perhaps something they had no control over -- but really, if I'm paying $100 per night for a room, I expect to be able to wash my hair without experiencing brain freeze.

Until we were faced with cold showers, I was fairly well disposed toward this place. I hope that the hot water is a one-time problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Rodeway Inn Kadoka? Share your experiences!