“Don't expect much” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Kadoka
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Don't expect much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having beat a hasty retreat from the Budget Host we found ourselves at the Rodeway Inn. Paid $89.99 before taxes for a double room in late July on a weeknight.

The good things- clean, lots of towels (five bath towels, five hand towels, five face towels), microwave and fridge.

The not-so-good things: worn carpet which was warped in many places, bedside lamp which did not work (even after we put put good bulbs in it), outside door did not fit properly on the hinges so it opened and closed with a super loud noise (meaning the spouse couldn't leave for an early morning run without waking the rest of us us). Internet comes with the hotel BUT we could not get a signal in our room. Had to go to the lobby to use it. At 11pm it suddenly shut off.

A note written by hand on the paper provided by the motel read, "Please live a tip. Thanx." I can appreciate that making a living in this small town is hard, but a tip should be left for personal service. We did not experience that from anyone at this hotel. We left before 5pm the next day so we didn't see the breakfast.

If we hadn't been so tired we would never have stayed here. I suspect this is the story of Kadoka- no one really wants to stop but everyone is so dog tired they do. Just don't expect much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tullahoma, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This motel is older and the office does actually reek of nicotine, but our sleeping room was clean. The free continental breakfast was provided at the restaurant next door, with an option instead for a cooked to order breakfast at a discount, which we chose. That breakfast was fine and service friendly. The motel room had three beds (we asked for two beds) which did not serve a problem as there was plenty of room. Didn't use the pool, but it looked clean. There is a small playground provided by the motel, so we listened to kids yelling and it was at times noisy, but it was summer and good to see the kids having fun. This is not a luxury hotel but will do if you want to get some sleep before or after driving the Badlands. There was a laundry facility but we did not use. Internet was fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a night here on our way out to the Badlands. It was a mixed bag. The good: the rooms were large, well appointed, and clean. We had reserved two rooms for our group and were given rooms with communicating doors, which was nice. The restaurant next door (H&H),which is connected with the motel, was convenient and offered a good breakfast. Some of us also enjoyed our dinners, but one in our group ordered the french dip which was revolting. I had a bison burger, which was quite acceptable. On the not so good front: all of our mattresses had rubber covers. Some in our group didn't mind this, but I personally dislike rubber mattress covers, as I always feel damp and clammy sleeping on them. And the really bad thing was that there was absolutely no hot water when we got up at 6:30 a.m. The man at the front desk thought that maybe someone had left their tap on all night, draining the hot water reservoir. Perhaps something they had no control over -- but really, if I'm paying $100 per night for a room, I expect to be able to wash my hair without experiencing brain freeze.

Until we were faced with cold showers, I was fairly well disposed toward this place. I hope that the hot water is a one-time problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Star Lake, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were headed to a campsite in the Badlands when bad thunderstorms were forecast. We decided to forego the camping and look for a hotel room. We drove by this place twice and finally decided to give it a go. There is a strong cigarette smell in the lobby, but the lady at the desk was nice and the room was reasonably priced, and they let us take our dog in the room with us. The room was clean and big enough for a family of four plus dog. There was a full-size fridge in the lobby where we could store our cooler food over night. Kids enjoyed a swim and the pool was nice and clean. Got dinner at the diner next door; free breakfast next morning was not much (muffins, Danish, toast, juice, coffee) but you could buy breakfast too if you wanted. We were pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the pool side of the lobby, they seemed nicer than on the diner side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moberly, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Traveling on a motorcycle all day we were approaching a bad thunderstorm. We arrived at Rodeway because of necessity. We had not planned this destination. At first glance we thought the room was pretty nice for the price. We were hungry and left right away to have dinner next door. When we got back it had started to rain heavily. Within an hour we had returned to the room. My husband walked into the bathroom and turned on the light/fan. He almost fell in the bathroom. There was water "pouring", (not dripping) from the electric fan/light and the floor was flooded with water. We used the towels and waste can to catch the water. When I called the front desk the gentleman's only comment was "do you need more towels for the floor"! We were not given an option to use another room. We were so tired from traveling 600 miles that day we just depended on the wastecan to catch the water and went to sleep. The next morning there were waterbugs in the bathroom. I had felt something also is our bed. There were potato chip crumbs in our bed. No, we did not have a late night snack. They were left from previous visitors - our sheets were not clean sheets. Needless to say we left without a shower and were glad to be gone. What a disgusting place.

Room Tip: Do not even bother stopping in Kadoka. You'd be much better off driving to another city. If we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Millbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at around 8:30pm during a thunder and hail storm. The lobby has a cigarette stench probably due to what I assume is the owner's residence.
We were assigned a king size room and schlepped all of our road trip stuff in only to find the room totally unmade. We were then moved next door to another room after I walked over in the rain to get the new key. (They did offer to have the manager bring it over after I asked but could not say when.)
While moving things next door we lost a memory chip the size of a dime. I went back in the rain to the office for the old room key again to search. I asked the older man, who I assume owns the place with his wife, if there was a chance at any compensation off of the room price. He said, "no ma'am" and that was that.
The room is adequate. That's all I will safe. The mattresses are old, but the bathroom appears fresh enough. I have not used it yet, since we're still trying to find our memory chip. Had we not had to move rooms I would be tucked in by now.
I hate that I see another review about an unmade rooms. That's the biggest part of the motel service! A clean room that customers can trust.

• Stayed May 2013
Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

High winds and towering thunderheads frightened me off of I-90, and i needed shelter. The Rodeway was the only chain motel I could see, and I was offered a $50 rate (before tax). I was pleasantly surprised at the size and furnishings of the room. The bed was reasonably comfortable, and nothing was scratched/dented/dirty. It even has a fridge & microwave, and a little dining table w/ two chairs.

There were only two small snags. I could never find the mechanism to divert water to the showerhead & had to make do with a splash bath. Also, the walls are kind of thin. I could vaguely hear the people next door coughing, talking, etc.

Also, you should be aware that the diner in front has closed. Not sure if that's seasonal thing, or if it's just defunct. For dinner, the Club 27 Steakhouse is across the road.

There's little cell service in this region, and I'd neglected to buy a calling card. The manager was kind enough to let me use the motel's phone to update my BF with my location. (Thanks again!)

Room Tip: Try for an end unit - less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rodeway Inn Kadoka? Share your experiences!