“thanksgiving” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Huron

You added Super 8 Huron to your Saves list
Super 8 Huron
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2189 Dakota Ave South, Hwy 37 South, Huron, SD 57350-4397   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Huron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Super 8 must have reported my 1st review as abusive so I will re-write it in 1st hand knowledge. Given that WE were all there as a community and our community was treated horribly by every night shift employee WE encountered I thought that was pertinent to the review.

My family made reservations to stay at this Super 8 nine months prior to the state volleyball tournament. I requested upper floor rooms (as we had stayed there before and knew how thin the walls were). I was told that even 9 months prior the hotel can't guarantee the upper floor rooms as requested and room assignments will be given at check in.

On Thursday night the man working the night shift came up the steps to the upper balcony and told my husband and myself as well as all the other patrons sitting at the tables that 10:30 is bedtime and we would need to go to our rooms immediately. I then asked him if we could walk from room to room. He told me that "If you do need to leave your room do it QUICKLY and QUIETLY". Honestly it seemed like he was hoping for a quiet night and he was preterbed with us that we were making him do his actual job of providing hospitality. This hotel was ill prepared to host a state tournament crowd.

Friday Night upon returning from a HUGE victory we (and by we I mean myself and about 30 other families) were met by the same employee telling us that it was lights out and everyone in our party needed to go back to our rooms. Our whole group asked if there might be a concession to this rule as my family and all the other families were there celebrating the same event. I personally asked patrons from other schools if they were bothered by us gathering in the table areas and everyone told me that they were more bothered with being told, as a paying adult, we need to go to bed at 10:30. Again my family was not wanting to swing from the rafters or shout from the balcony. We wanted to be able to sit down with other adults and celebrate a great season and a huge win.

I was also confused by the same employee wanting to corral 50+ people into oneregular sized hotel room (being used as the hospitality room). To me it seems safer to let people congregate in open areas instead of trying to shove them into one small space. I also felt that the five 80+ pound hunting labs in the room next to us - that were free to walk the halls and run up and down the stairs when children were present were more dangerous then adults wanting to celebrate.

Diane, the front desk manager was rude and condescending. Being called bad parents because we were setting a horrible example for our children was a low blow. We actually thought that teaching our kids that if you work hard, put in the time and play like a team you get to go do fun things at the state tournament. In a town the size of Huron, where there aren't a lot of things to do - having an unaccommodating hotel is bad business practice.

I understand that hotels have to cater to all of their guests and not just 1 group BUT when 90% of the hotel is there for the same tournament maybe they should have informed the small group of guests that there is a State Tournament going on and it might be a little louder than normal. People understand that. Instead as part of the 90% we were treated horribly. We personally will never stay at this hotel again and I know that information will also be passed along to the Huron Chamber of Commerce, the BBB and the SDHSAA. The Super 8 in Huron totally missed an opportinity to shine. Instead they left a bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 Huron? Share your experiences!