“Older doesn't mean trashy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hill City
Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing
You added Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing to your Saves list
24060 Highway 385, P.O. Box 441, Hill City, SD 57745   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Hill City
Granville, North Dakota
“Older doesn't mean trashy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family and I stayed there in the later part of June 14. We stayed in cabin 6, It was very clean and spacious enough for me, my wife, and two young daughters.George came off as a hard man, but seemed nice enough as we talked to him a few times over the week. My daughters enjoyed the pool, and we also sat by the campfire at night. I don't think we could have had a better location for all the things we wanted to do. I would say that we didn't drive over 25 miles in any direction to see what we wanted too. I would definitely stay there again as it was affordable. It is outdated as far as style, but still a nice place. George sayed he would return our deposit after we cleaned, and left the cabin as nice as we found it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lakewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Kids loved the use of the bikes, the cabin was extremely clean and the location was great. Very close to all attractions. It was too cool to swim the times we were around the cabin, but the pool looked nice. The area is beautiful!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mitchell, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Cabins were well equipped and suitable for all of our needs. George was friendly and accommodating. He was very helpful during an unexpected power outage due to a snow storm in October. All in all we had a great stay and a good time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Had an enjoyable stay at Quails Crossing even though we had a major blizzard and lost electricity for several days.George was very accommodating and made sure we had flashlites and batteries. We had heat,hot water and a gas stove to cook with.The cabins were clean and in order,older but good for families,hunters and trout fisherman.Looking forward to going back next October minus the snow storm. Andy

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife had never had an opportunity to 'Go West' so we planned extensively for our trip from IL to SD- 3 months of planning. Doing our best to maintain a middle-class status, we sought the best deal we found - available at Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing right outside of Hill City, South Dakota, and it was centrally located to all the attractions and cities we were interested in!
Our host, George, shared with us information of the area - places to eat nearby, info on attractions, the history of Quail's Crossing and more. The office carried not only those items you may have forgotten or ran out of, but also a few 'freebies' to get you by, as well as movie rentals and souveniers. Upon our arrival the first evening, the first thing that George told us, even before getting payment, etc. was "cabin #2 is ready for you". I laughed a little because he must have seen that after our long drive it was our first interest. During our 10 day stay George was ever available offering a "Good Morning" or just a wave.
We found our cabin to be clean, well kept and right within our price range. At home, 2 weeks ago, we had bought a brand new Sealy mattress and box springs-its very comfortable- every night when I went to bed I slept great on our bed on vacation(oops never checked the tag but it had to be quality). There were vacationers in other cabins and in the motel, some as couples and some with children and not once were we bothered by a 'neighbor'. Speaking of 'neighbor' - the couples and families that were near to us spoke and it was not just a 'Hi' but we talked as in where are you going, what have you seen, how long are you staying - best descriptive word here Cordial, we had shared interests, a vacation, solitude but yet solidarity.
Our surroundings were comforting: Aces the horse loves attention and is gentle, he mows some grass and humors adults and children alike. There were firepits available - free firewood available for residents - surrounded by chairs, whether you wanted a night under the gracious stars or roasting hot dogs and making s'mores. A creek out back to pan for gold(George offers lessons) and access to the Michelson Trail. Swimming pool and hot tub too!
A few days before our trip to South Dakota, I obtained the age of 54, I have traveled from the southern tip of Florida to Chicago - from New York City down to Myrtle Beach SC to California(of which I lived for more than a year) and beyond to living in Hawaii and places in between I have camped and I have stayed at a Motel 6 and up to a Hyatt Hotel, I must admit that Black Hills at Quails Crossing was most like vacation home to me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were a group of 3 couples and stayed here for it's central location to the areas we wanted to visit. We stayed in the Motel Suite, which was clean and very comfortable. This is an older place and does not have the newest things but it is clean and has everything we needed to make it the hub of our trip. George was very accommodating and helpful. The group fire pit with wood supplied was enjoyabole, the hot tub was relaxing and it would have been great to do a little panning for gold but never seemed to have the time to fit it into our schedule. We walked on the trail which is so convenient right out the back gate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I love to plan vacations, especially when it is to somewhere my husband and I have never been. I'm glad I chose Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail''s Crossing for our home base while vacationing in South Dakota, Aug 18-28. I spent hours reading about all the available campgrounds in the area and their amenities and I kept coming back to Quail's Crossing. George is a great host and a "pretty good ol' guy" as we say in Texas; he likes to talk as do I, so we had a great time. One reason I stayed in these cabins is the CCC history; my dad was in the CCC in the 30's before WWII. Yes, the cabins are old but they are clean and functional; no bed bugs, no fleas, no crud in the sink. The cabins are really clean, the towels and bed sheets are of good quality and the campground peaceful. The stove worked as did the refrigerator (a real refrigerator and not an "ice box" as stated earlier) and there was plenty of hot water for washing dishes and bathing. The TV had great cable reception and it was a nice size TV. We were able to pick up the internet in our cabin (#1) which was a plus. Aces is a great horse and he loves apples and carrots which we fed to him everyday of our 10 day stay.The office at Quail's Crossing has a lot of minor items you might forget and it's very convenient to buy there. You might think the price would be higher than the stores in town but I was surprised to find the bar of soap I bought at Quail's Crossing was priced lower than in town. This is a great launching point for all the sites in the Black Hills and I highly recommend it. Yes, George has rules and they are posted in the cabins but they only make sense; clean up after yourself. If you don't want to clean up then let George know and your cleaning deposit covers the clean up. We cleaned the kitchen and took out the trash but I did not want to sweep, vacuum or mop so I didn't and I let George know. Remember Black Hills Cabins and Motel at Quail's Crossing is George's business so respect him for that. Clean up as you go so it not overwhelming when you leave; no one is stopping you from running the vacuum every other day or so or even cleaning a bit everyday. If you expect the Ritz you came to the wrong place. If you expect to be catered to and pampered you came to the wrong place. If you want a great place to be able to see the Black Hllls, sit in a chair and watch the trees grow, feed a horse and enjoy the outdoors then Quail's Crossing is the place to be. We hope to return someday and Quail's Crossing will be our choice. Thanks, George!

Room Tip: The cabins are quiet, really quiet at night when you are sleeping. If you are used to city noise the...