“Not quite as promised” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coyote Blues Village B&B

Save Saved
You added Coyote Blues Village B&B to your Saves list
Coyote Blues Village B&B
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23165 Horseman's Ranch Road, PO Box 966, Hill City, SD 57745   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Hill City
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Not quite as promised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

One night as part of a 36 night trip across the US. Whilst the location was undoubtedly beautiful and the breakfast a typical European one ( nothing new to us) , we found that our experience fell short of expectations. Our booking promised a TV and wi- fi, we got neither. Both our room and shower were very small, and we didn't get a welcome - the owner seemed quite flustered when we arrived. However, it's proximity to Rushmore and quiet location will always make this a popular choice.

• Stayed September 2013

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
STL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We love making our home base a B&B while on vacation. So, we have stayed at many here in America and Europe. We found this B&B to be at the top of our list beside our favorite place in Tuscany. We were greeted with a warm hug and felt like family during the entire stay.

Breakfast is served in courses so pace yourself accordingly. If the weather permits you sit outside at a huge table which encourages lively conversations about the previous day's adventure with fellow guests.
Although the owners are busy in the kitchen they will spend time with you with advice and suggestions to make each day run smoothly.
We stayed in the Mediterranean room with a private deck and hot tub for 3 of our 4 nights. The first night was in the Celtic room which is perfect for travelers on a tight budget, a bit smaller without the private deck.
Christine and Hans were charming and hospitable and we hated to say goodbye!
If you plan to spend some time in the Black Hills this is a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Peaceful, scenic, quiet setting in the Black Hills. Food was all fresh and homemade. Keep in mind this is a European style breakfast; fresh fruit, plain yoghurt, granola cereal, grainy bread, plus an egg dish. You will enjoy the food and you won't go hungry. I stayed for 3 nights and after the first night regretted not staying an entire week. My last night I went out to eat at a restaurant that Christine and Hans Peter (owners) recommended. I got there a bit late and all the tables were gone. Christine and Hans Peter were there as well having dinner. They saw that I was there and told the waitress that it was OK if I joined them. I told the waitress thanks, but no, I want to respect their privacy. They both pretty much insisted that I join them, I did, and we had a very nice time.

Room Tip: I was solo and stayed in one of the smallest rooms and it was quite comfortable. I didn't see a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here in July 2013 for 2 nights. The hosts were incredibly welcoming. The rooms were very clean. Breakfast was delicious. We had our teenage children with us and they had a wonderful room, as well. We would definitely book this b&b again! (We had the room with the hot tub. It was sooooo relaxing!!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Though we were unable to stay at Coyote Blues as planned in August for 2 nights, we were treated exceptionally well by Christine, one of the owners. I called Coyote Blues shortly before our reservation date for 4 to explain that we had to cancel due to the unexpected death of my husband's mother. l was very stressed out and she was quite understanding. She told me she would give me a full refund, and I told her we hope to see her next summer on our annual Montana trek from Wisconsin. We really appreciate Christine's generosity and understanding and I felt it was appropriate to share story this with others.

Room Tip: We were directed to the best room for 4 people and 2 beds, yet not sure of the name.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

For once, our GPS took us directly to Coyote Blues, which was very good since it is more than a little off the beaten track. But OH HOW WORTH IT! We arrive to find the the owners were gone to Switzerland to see their first grandchild. But we were greeted by Annie (I think, sorry I can't remember, but she was so sweet.) Later Flint, the neighbor/innkeeper came and helped with our luggage and helped us to settle in. We loved our rooms, the European/Antique suite with it's own patio and hot tub. Being two old ladies we don't take advantage of the tub, someone would have to come to help us out, but the patio and view was more than enough. I enjoyed being able to sleep with the patio door open and the fresh air filling my lungs all night.
We were fortunate to be able to stay here for 3 nights and enjoy Flint's fantastic breakfasts each of those mornings. WOW Can He COOK!!! We were able to take in all of the attractions in the area and then return to our home away from home each night. What a joy. We are already trying to decide when we want to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Crowley, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 night stay. The owners Christine & Hanspeter were very welcoming and have put a lot of thought into the amenities they provide their guests. We stayed in the European/Antique room. It was nicely decorated, very clean and the MOST comfortable bed and linens outside my own home. Our room had a hot tub on the patio and was wonderful as we spent each day riding our Harley Davidson and seeing all the beautiful sights.. The breakfast was yummy and such a nice treat to eat outdoors & enjoy the beautiful morning. We rode in on motorcycles and had no problems getting to the house down the long road.

If & when we return we will absolutely stay at Coyote Blue again.

Room Tip: Our room was downstairs and was very secluded with only 2 other rooms on the floor. You could not he...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coyote Blues Village B&B? Share your experiences!