“enjoy lunch, skip dinner” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 22 restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Rapid City, South Dakota
“enjoy lunch, skip dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Love luch at the Alpine, but dinner was very disappointing, especially with all the awards the chef has. Both of our "filet Mignon" had to be wrapped in bacon t prevent falling apart. The meat was tough and grisly. Even at 12 bucks it was not a good deal. Will return for lunch, but not dinner.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Rapid City, South Dakota
“European cuisine in America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have eaten here multiple times because I live in the area. But every time I leave the Alpine, in my mind I know I will come back again. They have a unique menu and their food is mouthwatering. They are known for their steak and dessert. In a German style setting, the Alpine gives a different but great experience. Their evening menu is composed of only two choices. Their simplicity wins every customers heart.The most popular of the two is the filet mignon with a wedge of lettuce and ranch dressing. By the way, it is the best ranch I have ever had in my life. I believe they make it themselves. Their steak is to die for!!! Not to mention they have a neat variety and selection of beer and wine. It is a classy yet casual environment. The waitresses all wear dresses or long skirts. It is a modest restaurant with exciting food. Great hospitality and low prices for the food you get. The décor is not like other restaurants. Like I said earlier, it has a German style. There are neat pictures on the walls and the ceiling is beautiful. It has dimmed lighting, but the rooms aren't dark. It gives the restaurant an antique feel. Lastly, I must comment on their rest rooms. As every one expects, the rest rooms are always clean and uniquely decorated. The Alpine Inn also serves as a B&B. In fact, it used to be the Harney Peak Hotel. So cool :)
Every thing about the Alpine Inn I love. I better stop or I will go all day.
Don't pass this place up. You WILL regret it. It is an amazing place.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hill City, South Dakota
“German Food for Lunch/Steak for Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Alpine Inn is a bit unique. Be sure to check their web site for hours and menu. Note that they are closed from 2:30-5:00 P.M. That means that those planning to eat dinner will all be seated at 5:00 P.M. In the tourist-heavy season, plan to be there by 4:30 if you want to be part of the first seating because there will be a long line waiting and the restaurant will fill to capacity. Even during tourist season you can only expect to wait 2-5 minutes after seating before your order is taken and the same wait before salad is served. Your meal will arrive by the time you finish your salad. The waitress will quickly return to see if the steak is cooked to taste. We have been eating here for years and have never had some of the negative experiences expressed by a few reviewers. The food is excellent, the price is very reasonable, and service is usually exceptional. It's one of the best places to eat in the central Black Hills area.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“A Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I visit the Black Hills every other year, and always bring firends with us. And we always make the Alpine Inn a place we stop for dinner. They have a wonderful business model with a simplified dinner menu with basically two options: salad, baked potato, bread, and either a six ounce or nine ounce steak. All the customer does it indicate a steak size and how he or she wants it cooked. The food is very tasy and the service is fast. One time we took a friend who was vegetarian and they had, what he claimed, was an excellent and filling pasta dish. Prices are ridiculoously low. We'll alsways go back when in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ventura, California
“Limited Menu, Okay Food, So-So Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We visited the area in October 2013, when tourists were pretty few and far between, and many of the restaurants were closed for the season. We ate at the Alpine Inn a couple times. It's a cute place, and it was busy even in the off-season, with most of the customers being local folks out on a fancy date or celebrating a special occasion.

It's a very limited menu: filet mignon/potato/salad, or spaetzle. We never tried the spaetzle. The first night, we ordered medium rare, and the steaks were super-rare. We still ate them, but other diners that night sent theirs back and complained loudly. The second night, we ordered medium steaks, and they came medium rare.

The salad was just a iceberg lettuce with a goopy dressing. My potato on the second night had not been reheated fully but my wife's was fine. The toast wasn't worth eating.

The desserts were a mixed bag. The cheesecake that people rave about is gelatin-based; not sure there was any actual cream cheese in it. The Apple Napoleon was better. There's like twenty things on the dessert menu, which is why we went back -- traveling with a ten year old, sometimes you have to make compromises.

The service wasn't very good on our first night, which is why we ate our undercooked steaks. Had somebody come by, we probably would've sent them back. The second night, service was fine. As others have noted, they don't take credit cards. There is an ATM but I'm sure it charges a fee.

• Visited October 2013