“Excellent lunches when you want something different!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 22 restaurants in Hill City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent lunches when you want something different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently had a great lunch here at an outdoor table overlooking the western-tourist main street in Hill City. It is amazing that such a great restaurant exists in s small town. This is authentic German food that will appeal to most people. The seating inside seems a bit tight, so on nice days consider an outdoor table. The wait staff are always pleasant and professional. Bottom line: while you may have to wait for a table, it's worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Heemstede, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“hated it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were looking for a good meal in Hill City and were tempted in by the sign out front "Fine European Dining". What a joke. After a wait of one half hour (nice cocktail waitress with a sense of style) we were told that there was a choice of filet mignon (big), filet mignon (small) or a German-style pasta. Since I am celiac I had already asked at the hostess station about gluten-free possibilities and had been told everything is gluten free except toast and ranch dressing. Hmmm...We took our chances on the small filet: I was served a bare wedge of iceberg lettuce with oil (not olive) and vinegar on the side, a so-so filet with an average baked potato. Service was fast but nervous and erractic. Atmosphere was rowdy, noisy, We passed on dessert. Nothing European about the place except for a few edelweiss decorations and some paintings. Texas toast in Europe? (We live there.) Come on. If this is the best in Hill City, I feel sorry for the people there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Count your change.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our experience at lunch was not impressive. The German food was good, but not outstanding. The biggest disappointment was the service. The waitress was adequate, but cold and made no effort to be friendly or establish any rapport with us. She then handled the payment at the cash register. I paid with cash and she failed to count out my change - and then I found she short-changed me. I called it to her attention, and she corrected it, but I heard no apology. So, I recommend, "COUNT YOUR CHANGE"!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Good filet mignon at unbelievably low price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went early to get in when they opened at 5 pm, having heard there is otherwise a wait. People gathered to wait in the bar, and it was a little chaotic lining up as 5 pm approached. However, once the dining room opened, things were quite civilized. The staff was friendly and efficient in seating and serving everyone. The filets were very good, and the value can't be beat. The Inn is comfortable and has a nice ambience. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good value but I prefer more choices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went here because of the high rating on trip advisor. How did I miss the part about they only serve two items, steak and a German dish. On the night we dined it was Spaetzle, a egg noodle dumpling dish. So I ended up eating a wedge of lettuce and a baked potato. Oh, and the first glass of wine they brought was sour and had to be send back. Not my best experience on our South Dakota journey. Be sure you have cash because they don't take credit cards.

• 2 of 5 stars Food