“Great climbing with a great company” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 Activities in Hill City
Type: Game/ Entertainment Centers, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't let you vacation be boring. Go climbing with us and you will live you vacation, not just look at it! Adventures for all ages and abilities. No experience needed. All climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota
Buffalo, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Great climbing with a great company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was one of the best things we did at Custer State Park. Jeff was patient with our limited (climbing gym) experience, very encouraging of kids and adults alike, and taught us a lot more about climbing than we knew. He was very concerned with our "safeness" as well as our having a blast climbing the granite around Sylvan Lake. We all climbed each route twice. Additionally, Jeff taught us to be more "elegant" climbers and taught lessons on the rock that are applicable daily ( "Pick your hold, be confident in it, and go for it!". I would not hesitate go do it again. If your idea of a good time is getting sweaty in the beautiful outdoors with great company and instruction, this is the activity for you!

Rhinelander, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“Great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Had a great time climbing at Sylvan Lake. Very professional operation. Jeff did a great job working with and encouraging my kids. Thanks for the fun!

Omaha, Nebraska
“Devils Tower Climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Sylvan Rocks guided us thru a two day adventure of a life time. We prepped the first day around Sylvan Lake, ending with a 3 pitch climb to the top of the Aquarium. The second day we climbed to the top of Devils Tower. Truly an Epic event for all of us involved. The business side of the trip was handled flawlessly. The guides (Cheyenne and Tony) are two amazing individuals and extraordinary climbers and guides. We highly recommend Sylvan Rocks Climbing and Guide services.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“The highlight of our trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

These guys were so good. We did the "Discover Climbing" package at the beautiful Sylvan Lake. Our guides couldn't have been more friendly, patient and encouraging. All of us - my wife and I, son (11) and daughter (9) - went from having no experience to climbing higher and more challenging rocks than we ever thought we could. We will do this again when we return to the Black Hills.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Devils Tower summit via Pseudo Weisner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Sylvan Rocks climbing provided me with the most incredible guide for my trip to Devil's tower. Tony Schwartz was patient with me, even when I asked the same question 5 or 6 times because I was feeling anxious. He spent the first day at the Sylvan Lake area explaining exactly what we were going to be doing on the tower, showed me all of the anchor systems that he would be using, and taught me everything I needed to know in order to follow him safely up the tower.

In addition to being a great teacher, Tony was incredibly friendly and has a depth of character that shows great maturity and insight. He was very knowledgeable about the formations in both the Sylvan Lake area and around Devil's Tower. When we topped the tower, he took some time to show me around and explain what I was looking at in every direction. He had great stories about the history of the tower, and how it was formed.

When I was struggling with the crux pitch, Tony helped me stay calm and not get frustrated. He was supportive and encouraging . . . reminding me that it was "smash and grab" crack climbing . . . not graceful face climbing. He was not critical of my sloppy technique, nor did he become impatient with me . . . even though the climb must have been cake to him. His first-hand knowledge of the route was exceptional, and he was able to help me find holds from 100' above me.

Tony was excellent at rope management and keeping me safe while on the tower. I would finish a pitch shaking and exhausted, and Tony would already be working the ropes and getting ready for the next pitch. He would tell me where to sit or stand safely, and always made sure I was correctly anchored, tied in, and all the carabiners were correctly locked. He climbed each pitch effortlessly, and talked me through most of the opening moves. He took time to explain traverses and other moves that were tricky while he was climbing, and made sure I stayed on-route.

I have been working on this goal for 6 years, and I'm not sure I could have done it without Tony's calm demeanor, professionalism, and epic climbing abilities.