“Glad to come back to the attached Miner brewery!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Hill City
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Delivery
Description: A modern winery with elements that point to the family's five generations of South Dakota winemaking experience. Just a few miles from Mount Rushmore, with patio seating, hip heritage decor in the Tasting Room and Kitchen dining areas. Free tasting of our award-winning wines, from dry reds to sweet fruit. Fresh, gourmet food from our Kitchen. Open daily, year-round. Closed New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Fort Worth, Texas
“Glad to come back to the attached Miner brewery!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I went here a year ago and even though I didn't care for the wine, I liked the cheese plate. We went back this year and didn't eat, but kudos for all the various jellies and honey butter, which is incredibly addictive. What's nice is that there is a brewery (Miner brewery) that seems to be associated with the winery. The beer there - all of them good. I took my family here a couple days later and they really enjoyed the wine as well. I remember it to be pretty sweet, but the family liked it and bought a couple bottles.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Waynesville, Ohio
“A good place for wine tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

A very nice stop from Crazy Horse Mtn. Stopped in for a wine tasting and a light sandwich, all of which was very good. I bought over $200 of various wines, so I guess it is good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Assembly line wine tasting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

While I'm sure the food was good, we didnt have any. We went for the wine tasting. First of all it's free which is nice but it became a 'mark your selections from the list, sample and move on'. Unique wines but nothing that left me wanting to buy any especially at $20 a bottle. Overall disappointing experience for the wine tasting world.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worth the hype!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I dragged my 60+ year old parents here on family vacation - my dad was all in a huff immediately, citing that a $20+ bottle of wine was a rip off...but we walked out with 8 bottles between the two of us! After the tasting with the very patient and knowledgeable Amy, we were sold on this awesome winery (I already was, but my dad was a hard sell, clearly). My son also enjoyed the fun selection of cool, unusual toys, and my mom, a non-drinker, got a rhubarb cookbook. My only reservation is drinking up all this yummy wine with no immediate plans to return to buy more!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
La Plata, Maryland
“Unique Wines but Impersonal Tasting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This review is for the wine tasting experience---not the food---at Prairie Berry Winery.

We enjoy tasting wines wherever we travel, and we were especially intrigued by Prairie Berry's use of locally grown fruits. The tasting room resembles a gigantic warehouse (though "mod" in design), incorporating two large tasting bars, plus cases of wines and other products for purchase, cashiers, and a cafeteria area. A greeter (a la Walmart) tells you where to go based on what you want to do. This is a big operation, folks.

While the wines were distinctive, I found only a few pleasing. The person pouring for us had a set monologue describing the wines. She didn't engage with us in any meaningful way---which is a serious downfall in the wine tasting experience. She also gave priority to and chatted at length with a group that arrived after us, making us wait for each new taste. The later-arriving group left long before we were done. The pourer gave us a feedback form, which you had to complete. But she hovered over us while we wrote, so it was hard to be frank.

Prairie Berry also allows you to taste their honey and jams, which were fantastic---much better than the wines. In the end, we did buy 2 bottles and drank one on their lovely outdoor patio. The views are spectacular from there, even if you have to overlook the parking lot to gaze on the mountains. In short, this is a lovely setting and a good concept. The wine tasting experience, though, is like an assembly line.

• Visited June 2014